F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Active Cruise Control with 'Stop n Go' function
ARMA SPEED

06-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Active Cruise Control with 'Stop n Go' function

Have ordered my 320D M-Sport, which has 'Cruise control with brake function' which will be fitted as a standard item.
However, now notice that the UK BMW configurator now lists:-
Active Cruise Control with 'Stop and Go', function at £620.
Is this worth adding to my spec at this sort of money?
Has anybody any opinion of this 'Stop and Go' function?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I had it on my E92, and loved it. You could set the speed when you start and without even touching the brake/gas arrive at your destination!
Works best on highway cruises of course I might add.

I will without a doubt add it to my F30.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Did E92 have cruise control with stop and go???? Dare I say you must be wrong?

I have ordered it for my F31 msport.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack
Have ordered my 320D M-Sport, which has 'Cruise control with brake function' which will be fitted as a standard item.
However, now notice that the UK BMW configurator now lists:-
Active Cruise Control with 'Stop and Go', function at £620.
Is this worth adding to my spec at this sort of money?
Has anybody any opinion of this 'Stop and Go' function?
When you are in bumper to bumper traffic driving even a BMW can be a royal pain.

So, even the most devout "drivers" driver can do nothing more than act like a boxcar on a mile long choo choo train when the traffic sucks.

So, those days are when Active Cruise is a dream. There is a lot of mental energy expended driving in bumper to bumper traffic. All of this dissolves and you become a calm passenger riding the train in first class when you engage Active Cruise.

I have 30,000 miles on my 2011 bimmer and 29,999 of those miles were with Active Cruise engaged. I know, most on this board would scoff at the idea of not manually controlling your car. However, this is for me and I think Active Cruise is an awesome implementation of a once way-in-the-future design.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
Did E92 have cruise control with stop and go???? Dare I say you must be wrong?

I have ordered it for my F31 msport.
Well it didn't stop to a halt, but it had active cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I seriously dislike the fact that I don't have it.. retrofitting is a possibility but I don't feel much for spending a few thousand dollar to get it lol

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

ACC is AWESOME. I had it on my 2007 330D Coupe. If you can afford it, get it. It makes driving SO much easier. Using it, I was able to drive from Tuscany to Berlin in a single day, on my own - I spent hours without even touching the pedals with my feet. In the UK it's especially useful in roadworks on the motorway - living in London I'm sure you have to battle through the everlasting roadworks on the M1. Just flick on ACC and relax; no need to keep worrying about braking for the idiots doing 45mph. And if something serious does happen ahead, you'll feel the system braking before you'd ever have seen it yourself so you can immediately assess the situation and take control yourself if need be. You'll also get to use the Stop & Go a lot in the London traffic, although I can't comment on that function because it wasn't available in 2007.

I really, really wanted Active Cruise Control on my F30 but it wasn't available then and my dealer, having spoken to the UK HQ, said that there were no plans to bring it to the UK. That was a few months ago though.
Since I can't enjoy it on my F30 then at least do me the favour of getting it so you can enjoy it on yours .

EDIT: I just looked at the UK configurator for a 320d Luxury line and can't see ACC with Stop & Go, just the standard Cruise with Brake.
Are you certain you're looking at the UK configurator? If so, what model are you looking at?

Last edited by Feanor; 06-09-2012 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Many thanks indeed for all your comments!
Have decided to go for it and have asked my BMW Main dealer to add on to the spec. There is no response as yet, but should think it poss as it's for a week 32 build, commencing 6th Aug, for Sept delivery.
The 'Active Cruise Control with 'Stop and Go' function' at £620 is in the latest BMW configurator for the 320D M-Sport, which was updated a couple of days ago.
To have this function it would seem the motor requires the Auto gearbox and the Black panel display,full. Which I have speced!
Will keep you advised!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Extended display, 6WA, seems to come for free with the ACC Stop and Go.

Since I wanted the 6WA anyway, I think the ACC is dirt cheap. I pay something like UKP 550 extra for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
The 'Active Cruise Control with 'Stop and Go' function' at £620 is in the latest BMW configurator for the 320D M-Sport, which was updated a couple of days ago.
Ahh yes, so it is - I guess they haven't updated the other lines yet.

I agree about the price of ACC, it seems surpringly cheap to me!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Teme
Rep
Drives: 320iA xDrive

Bumping an old thread. Anyone have experiences of the ACC with Stop&Go specifically on the F30?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teme View Post
Bumping an old thread. Anyone have experiences of the ACC with Stop&Go specifically on the F30?
Yes, I have it on my F30 (and had it on my E92).
What is it that you want to know?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Teme
Rep

Great. I'm wondering about the following:

1) How far is (approximately in meters or car lengths) the shortest distance setting from the car ahead at for example 50 or 60 kph?

2) Have you used the ACC in bad weather? If so, does it work - in other words, how sensitive is it to snow/sleet/rain etc?

3) How well does it function in heavy traffic in your experience? Any inconsistencies in its operation or panic moments where it doesn't brake when you expect it to?

4) Overall, are you happy with it and in hindsight, would you still opt for it?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teme View Post
Great. I'm wondering about the following:

1) How far is (approximately in meters or car lengths) the shortest distance setting from the car ahead at for example 50 or 60 kph?

2) Have you used the ACC in bad weather? If so, does it work - in other words, how sensitive is it to snow/sleet/rain etc?

3) How well does it function in heavy traffic in your experience? Any inconsistencies in its operation or panic moments where it doesn't brake when you expect it to?

4) Overall, are you happy with it and in hindsight, would you still opt for it?

Thanks in advance!
1. I rarely use the shortest setting but I would say 2 car lengths maybe. But it is the only setting to use if you want to stop people from changing lanes in front of you! hehe

2. It works great in all weathers, but remember that it disengages as soon as the DSC or DTC is triggered. So in bad weather (snow on the road) it is on/off A LOT. But if it's only raining a lot or so there are no issues.

3. I would almost say the opposite. It is a bit more cautious then I would have been on my own. If someone cuts in infront of you it will brake a bit harder than I would have done. Usually if someone is driving faster than you, it won't do anything but if someone changes lanes and have the same speed as you it brakes to keep the distance. There are a few "bugs" where it doesn't do as you though/want, but overall it works great. And now with the Stop&Go it works even better.

4. I think it is one of my favorite options on the car (together with the HUD). It is relaxing to just set the speed and take a 2h drive (almost) without having to touch the pedals. And at least for us here in Sweden it is way cheaper than it was before. So I think it is a very good option if you drive around a lot (long distances).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Teme
Rep

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Much appreciated. I have the ACC on my order now and it'll stay there By the way, I'm based in your Eastern neighbour, Finland and hence the questions about bad weather (and hence xDrive as well).
Appreciate 0