F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Nav: Store Trip ?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

Nav: Store Trip ?

Can't find this. The manual says that after you've entered the trip address and started guidance, you can open Options > Store Trip.

I can't find "Store Trip" for the life of me.

"Store position as new contact", - yes.
"Store address as new contact" (may not be verbatim), - yes.

But nowhere can I find the Option combo for for Store Trip, so that it comes up in the list of... Stored Trips.

I have a few places around the city I know I'll be going to at some point -- stadiums and various points of interest. I've sent them to the car from Google Maps, and I just want to store them for later.

Perhaps you have to actually arrive at a Nav-guided location first? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
which navi version do you have?
Iirc you can only store those (and send routes from google) if you have the pro navigation +another option of which i don't remember the name
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep

MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.5

I have the Technology package, it's a US based car (i.e., pro navigation). I should have what's required. I was able to send addresses from Google Maps to the car, and they show up in "messages".

There is a Navigation sub-menu called "Stored Trips", so there must be a way to store them.

Last edited by c.cash; 11-14-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

When you are in the Guidance Screen (where you enter/add destinations to a trip), click Options and Store Trip will be one of the options. It then lets you name the trip.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.cash View Post
MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.5

I have the Technology package, it's a US based car (i.e., pro navigation). I should have what's required. I was able to send addresses from Google Maps to the car, and they show up in "messages".

There is a Navigation sub-menu called "Stored Trips", so there must be a way to store them.
Also, if you just want to store the single address you sent from Google, you can just click Option and select "store in vehicle".

Trips are for multi-destination journeys.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for helping, Frogman.

It seems that, as usual, there are only certain circumstances where you will have this option.

The one that works every time is:
When you stop guidance (click the flag at the top-left sidebar), a dialog box follows with Stop (or Start) Guidance. When this box is highlighted, click Option and you will see Store Trip under the Map heading.

I saw the Store Trip option a couple of other times, but couldn't recreate it... once, while getting guidance with just the Nav Map on-screen, I clicked Option and it was there. This would seem logical -- storing a trip while being guided sounds like an intuitive thing to do, but I haven't been able to recreate this scenario

Frogman - to clarify the option you mentioned: "to store the single address you sent from Google, you can just click Option and select "store in vehicle"... the option I see is for creating, adding or storing Contacts. That's useful, but there's no way to store them as trips directly from here.

So I guess the idea is, you get to your destination, stop the guidance and store the trip. If you want to store an address from Google as a trip, just start a fake trip and abort.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It seems that, as usual, there are only certain circumstances where you will have this option.

When you stop guidance (click the flag at the top-left sidebar), a dialog box follows with Stop (or Start) Guidance. When this box is highlighted, click Option and you will see Store Trip under the Map heading.

I saw the Store Trip option a couple of other times, but couldn't recreate it... once, while getting guidance with just the Nav Map on-screen, I clicked Option and it was there. This would seem logical -- storing a trip while being guided sounds like an intuitive thing to do, but I haven't been able to recreate this scenario

Frogman - to clarify the option you mentioned: "to store the single address you sent from Google, you can just click Option and select "store in vehicle"... the option I see is for creating, adding or storing Contacts. That's useful, but there's no way to store them as trips directly from here.

So I guess the idea is, you get to your destination, stop the guidance and store the trip. If you want to store an address from Google as a trip, just start a fake trip and abort.
You don't need to actually start the trip, you just need to set it up and you can store it via the Option button in the Guidance screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
madbeemer
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sport line

I just leave the address in my messages list then select it once again when I want to go to the same place again. You can also store any destination in one of the programmable "radio" buttons 1-8. Just highlight the address name with the iDrive selector and while highlighted, just hover on the desired button then long press to store...you now have one button destination capability.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
You don't need to actually start the trip, you just need to set it up and you can store it via the Option button in the Guidance screen.
When I do this, all I see is "create new contact" or "add to existing contact" (or something like that). Store Trip is not an option. No worries, I was able to store them the way I describe above. Maybe we have different versions of the Nav? I doubt it, but who knows.?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbeemer View Post
I just leave the address in my messages list then select it once again when I want to go to the same place again. .
Not a bad idea at all, but since "Store Trip" was in the Nav menu, I wanted to know how to actually store one!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
BravoX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport Line

Quote:

This was driving me nuts, as the option only appears under certain (and obscure) conditions. I know it's an old thread, but very useful if youre swimming around the menus trying to figure out how to store trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #12
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
Journeys. According to the handbook of my 2017 430 we should be able now to save and recall journeys under the Route Guidance option.
This is an o.d thread, but I guess it?s still the one to use.
The method noted above to save a destination as a contact still works, but with journey saving it should be simpler. However, that option doesn’t seem to be available.
Appreciate 0