F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Nürburgring Trip - how to prep
GetBMWParts

02-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Nürburgring Trip - how to prep

Looking to do a road trip with a few fellow B58 owners once travel is allowed again. Idea is to get a few laps of the Nürburgring in. Appreciate we are pretty much noobs to this, so will be taking it easy not timing our laps etc.

Any car prep that should be done either before or after tracking a car?

Any tips or tricks from experienced visitors of the ring?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Just the usual stuff - tyre pressures, fluid levels, etc.

If it's your first time there, just be super aware of others on the trach when you're on there. People come out of nowhere, and there's people there who literally go every weekend and know it like the back of their hand.

Indicate and move to the right if you see someone approaching fast - this lets them know you've seen them. Keep the indicator on until they've passed.

Honestly and truly, take it easy - especially if the track is wet, as certain areas become like an ice rink. Enjoy the track for a few laps before you start pushing on a bit.

That'd be my advice.

Obviously you're aware your insurance is completely invalid, and if you so much as scrape the armco, it'll cost you hundreds of Euros.
      02-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
The Flying Moose
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d xDrive Touring

I haven’t been for a few years now but the process was pretty straightforward last time I went. Purchase a ringcard and off you go.

It’s a little outdated but this is one of the guide sites I used with useful info

http://nurburgring.org.uk/

In terms of prep personally I just made sure I had a good tread left on the tyres usual track prep really, brakes in good order etc. If your not planning on pushing it to the limit then there isn’t much to do.

Some recommend track insurance if your planning on spending the day there, bills can be very expensive if you cause any closure or collide with anything even if it’s not your fault. Closure per hour is roughly 1500 euros from memory as an example.

If you are staying there’s some decent accommodation on site or just over an hours drive away into Luxembourg there is well priced good accommodation and fuel is much cheaper there too.

Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated...
Appreciate 1
MY340i697.50
      02-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Well worth trying to learn the circuit via a PS4/Xbox game.

When I went after about 10 corners I had no idea where I was and gingerly completed the lap - which is quite disconcerting when you have people who do know the track going past you in tight sections at 100mph+
Appreciate 2
t5pilot974.50
      02-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Make sure you get insurance, if you crash it will be very costly.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #6
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VAG

I love the place, done a good few trips in my 340i now. I'll run through a few some suggestions, might be a bit of waffle.

We normally take the train, I'm lucky enough to live within a couple of hours of the Chunnel so it makes sense to just get the crossing out the way quickly. Plenty of nice smooth autobahn to have fun on, the last 35 min or so is nice and twisty. We leave early and arrive in time for a late lunch.

We normally stay in Adenau, there are some nice bars and restaurants, along with a couple of supermarkets. Plenty of choice of hotel or apartment depending on what you rather. You can stay in Nurburg itself and plenty do but I found it's a bit quieter up there in the evenings, depends what you want I guess. I've stayed in the Dorint hotel at the GP circuit too, nice hotel and lovely breakfast!

Food wise there's plenty of choice, mainly good value and decent quality. In Adenau the cockpit bistro is good for lunch and you can walk over the road and sit on the hill watching the track action. Pinocchios is a must, huge pizzas and cheap, the restaurant opposite the petrol station (only one in town) has changed hands a few times but last visit it was very good, if a little 'upmarket'. There's a Lidl and a Rewe close by too, the Rewe has a booze shop too which is handy! Pistenklause is up near the track entrance, steak and pizza, lots of people rave about it.

From Adenau you can drive up the hill into Nurburg in about 10 minutes, we normally buy tickets in the little booth just opposite track entrance. The suggestion of doing some laps on a game is a good shout, obviosuly it's never like real life but it does give you a bit of a head start as to where you're heading. I didn't do this and wish I had! One of our mates is quite experienced on there so we didn't bother but lots of people say a bit of tuition is worth the money if you fancy that. Echo what others say though, don't even bother trying to set fast laps or timing them, first trip is very much a steep learning curve. Last trip we saw three brits hit the barriers, not how anyone wants their trip to go. Some say to get insurance but it's very tricky to get proper cover these days, some might know of a broker than can offer a competitive priced policy.

If you get the chance to go for some random drives there are some nice country roads around the area, there also a place called Classic Remise in Dusseldorf, spent a good few hours there looking at some beautiful rare cars, nice restaurant in the middle too, you can also spend an hour or so back at ring work and the museum.

Overall it's a cracking trip, I just love being there, sitting outside the bar with a beer watching all the nice cars roll past soaking it all up. I've done a few laps but I'm too precious over my car tbh, I kept meaning to take my track car over when I had it but I enjoy driving the 40i over there too much so never bothered.

We managed to sneak over last year between all the lockdowns and I'm so glad I did, gave us all a bit of a break from everything. Anway, lots of waffle but hopefully some will be useful to someone out there

Appreciate 3
G50888.50
garyfried286.00
jbeer154.50
      02-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

When it comes to prep for the actual laps, my advice would be a minimum of Ps4s with decent life left, and a pad and fluid upgrade. Ferodo DS, PBS or the like.

Unless you are literally cruising with little full throttle between bends, it can be very hard on brakes as lots of elevation changes.
Appreciate 1
MY340i697.50
      02-11-2021, 02:29 AM   #9
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I'm not entirely convinced playing on a gaming console brings anything to the party once you're there, other than recognising some of the key landmarks of the circuit.

Perhaps I'm just a bit pessimistic from having seen far to many young lads thinking they are some kind of track god because they're top of their friends laps times on the xbox, then driving like fucking idiots where they're there, and endangering not only themselves but others.

I must've been mid twenties when I started going there, and even then you could hear groups of lads talking about comparing it to a game. A couple of guys I used to go with were not gamers, and they were the best drivers amongst us over there.

I think if you've never been before, the sheer excitement of driving the track and driving your car fast without fear of a speeding ticket is enough. You're not there to break any records, so just be careful and give the circuit the respect it deserves.

Oh, most important tip - try pick a day/days to go when it's not anywhere near a public holiday, as it'll be noticeably quieter.

Last edited by Russbmw; 02-11-2021 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:41 AM   #10
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I would personally 100% do lots of laps on a game - preferably a simulator game, just to get a feel for the circuit. Maybe it can make you feel over optimistic, but if you keep that in check, at least you know where the track is going.

I went ages ago back in 2007 and the thing the game taught me was to be frigging careful at Schwedenkreuze. There is a crest which catches so many people out. I deliberately backed off over it and i still had the back end step out.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:44 AM   #11
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

I'd get yourself booked onto a track day in this country before you go, just to give you a little idea of what track driving is like.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:54 AM   #12
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

All of the above. My mate is a bit of a Ring addict having done about 400 laps in the last year. He takes quite a few of his cars over there and in his faster stuff is doing 7.20 laps so knows what he’s doing.

His steer is also to give yourself, the car and the tyres time to cool off. It’s pretty full on mentally and for heavier cars the brakes and tyres can take a bit of a pounding even if you are taking it relatively gently.

He says until you know the track very well stick to six tenths driving, which gives you room for error (yours or other people’s). Anyone driving beyond 6/10 either knows the track well or is in danger of having an accident. He reckons that even with all his experience of the track he doesn’t want to push beyond 8.5/10.
Appreciate 1
Russbmw679.00
      02-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post

He says until you know the track very well stick to six tenths driving, which gives you room for error (yours or other people’s). Anyone driving beyond 6/10 either knows the track well or is in danger of having an accident. He reckons that even with all his experience of the track he doesn’t want to push beyond 8.5/10.
I totally agree with this. Unless you're very familiar then drive it like you would a British B road, not how you'd drive at a track day. If you do this then any roadworthy car will handle a few laps easily.

Insurance is a tricky one. You'll probably struggle to get it for a reasonable cost, but be aware that you'll be covered for 3rd party liability, except your insurance company will hold you liable for any payout they make, which could be massive if you caused an accident. For this reason I don't think I will do anymore Tourist laps, but rather do only proper track days there.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
I'm not entirely convinced playing on a gaming console brings anything to the party once you're there, other than recognising some of the key landmarks of the circuit.

Perhaps I'm just a bit pessimistic from having seen far to many young lads thinking they are some kind of track god because they're top of their friends laps times on the xbox, then driving like fucking idiots where they're there, and endangering not only themselves but others.

I must've been mid twenties when I started going there, and even then you could hear groups of lads talking about comparing it to a game. A couple of guys I used to go with were not gamers, and they were the best drivers amongst us over there.
Oh no doubt, if you're the kinda person that does a few laps on a sim/console then thinks they're Lewis Hamilton then don't bother. In my experience though, those kinda people will be over confident with or without the practice. I just felt it would have given me a little bit of a head start, maybe it's my age but I spent most of my time trying to remember what was on the other side of the crest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
I'd get yourself booked onto a track day in this country before you go, just to give you a little idea of what track driving is like.
Yeah I'd go with that too, I'd not drive over there for my first track time. Even an evening session or something over here would be a nice little run out to get a bit of track time first.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #15
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

thanks all for the tips and tricks. Thinking of it more as part of a road-trip as opposed to a track day so will be driving well within my limits.

insurance is a bit of a worry, but think I'll risk it.

@Pizzaeatingking thanks for the recommendations, some very good narrative, hopefully we'll get to visit those places too.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsj111 View Post
thanks all for the tips and tricks. Thinking of it more as part of a road-trip as opposed to a track day so will be driving well within my limits.

@Pizzaeatingking thanks for the recommendations, some very good narrative, hopefully we'll get to visit those places too.
i don't wanna be one of those 'you must do things my way or its not right' kinda guys but.......
for me the insurance is about protecting yourself from stuff outside of your control.
I've seen enough youtube nordschleife mishaps to realise i could be the best driver in the world but if some muppet is parked broad sideways round a blind corner (of which there are many), even if i'm driving at 6/10 of my limits it could still be an issue.
Also if its anything other than dry, that probably magnifies the risk many times over.
Out of curiosity i checked out a quote on moris, was surprised at the result - £300 to insure for the day, which isn't bad really.
I've not bothered with insurance for the track days i've done here, but for the nordschleife i definitely would.

I'd also do plenty of laps in assetto corsa with one of the BMW's in the game, knowing the track would be invaluable for obvious reasons. Not knowing the track could make you more of a liability to others too.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #17
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Done this a few times in various cars (BMW and non).

Don't play on a console and think you'll know the track - play on a console to build excitement and get a feel for corners. In real life, they will of course feel different. Obvious, but plenty think they can play and then take the piss on the track and guess what wins....

Get used to the track by doing the first drive early in any given session as the track will be quieter and you can get used to it. Keep your first lap nice and smooth - on subsequent laps (same day or next day) then you can push on a bit, but still 6/10ths as mentioned.

Unless you have sport brakes, you'll get fade so bear that in mind.

Indicate as mentioned so people know you've seen them and check your mirrors often.

If you can/want, rent a car but it's always good to drive in your own car as it's more special, just take care!

If you can, time the trip with a VLN race (watch the race on Sat and drive the track on Sunday).

I've enjoyed every trip there (watching races, especially N24 plus the inevitable Tourist lap as well).

If you're lucky, the Aston Martin Test Center across from the track will be open and they'll let you in, you can admire their cars and take some great pics as well.

If it's a longer trip, then you can go to Stuttgart for the Porsche/MB museums and if you book early enough, Porsche factory tour is good too.

Also a good trip is the B4500 south of Baden-Baden - great scenery!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:41 AM   #18
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Playing consoles will only help with minor orientation. Better off sitting through a decent YouTube vid in terms of track orientation; but that’s about all it will do. You can’t really learn any specific performance attributes of your car and the many other factors of how it will react to the many variables of the track.
Be safe and enjoy tho; I’m quite jealous as I’ve never been to the NR... (although been lucky to have lots of track time around the uk).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #19
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
Out of curiosity i checked out a quote on moris, was surprised at the result - £300 to insure for the day, which isn't bad really.
I've not bothered with insurance for the track days i've done here, but for the nordschleife i definitely would.
The OP isn't doing a track day though, he'll be doing a tourist day, when I have looked in the past I struggled to find anyone to cover it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #20
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsj111 View Post

Whatever you do, you'll love it! I can't wait to get back there.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #21
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaeatingking View Post
The OP isn't doing a track day though, he'll be doing a tourist day, when I have looked in the past I struggled to find anyone to cover it.
https://trackday.moris.co.uk/news/ev...nsurance-price

read it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:59 AM   #22
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
Ah ok, so it's covering car damage only. Not exactly comprehensive cover given the potential costs involved with a prang at there but better than nothing to some I guess.
Appreciate 0