F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *Tested* AWE Quad Tip, or, How I Didn't Piss Off My Wife
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

*Tested* AWE Quad Tip, or, How I Didn't Piss Off My Wife

For those of you that know me, you know that I prefer to drive around older sports cars: I like the rattle, the smell, the twitchy handling of cars that won't save me if I make a stupid speed decision on a twisty road. So when Helix got an F30 development car (stay tuned for our upcoming intercooler), the plan was to have it be my wife's daily driver. She was due for a new car, and the 328i made sense for her needs: she's got a job that requires more decorum than the owner of a BMW tuning shop typically has. She visits clients and occasionally drives them around. She can't show up to meetings with a bagged stance-mobile stickered with slogans like 'DAPPER'. There's the problem, because I can't leave well enough alone, and had been sneaking mods onto the car that I hoped wouldn't ruin it for her. When AWE Tuning announced their entry into the BMW world, I knew I couldn't resist: relationship be damned, I was putting one of their hand-built exhausts on the car.

Why AWE? I have a long history with AWE--full disclosure: I once worked for them--and watched as they built a state-of-the-art manufacturing organization with quality and design that's second to none. I once took a field trip with all of our employees to see the exhaust-building operation at AWE. I had one employee that had just finished a one-year internship with RUF Porsche in Germany. His comment to me was "RUF is a good business, but those guys (AWE) have their game faces on". There may be more established names in European exhaust manufacturing, but in terms of quality, design, manufacturing and sound engineering, AWE has few peers.

That notwithstanding, I was a little bit nervous about the sound quality and volume on my wife's car. This is a 2 liter four-banger we're talking about. It's easy to make the BMW straight six sound sexy but a 4 cylinder motor could easily make a $50k car sound like a Del Sol with Cherry Bomb resonator. Over the years I had followed AWE's work on sound cancellation--what they call 180 Technology--which in theory seems great, and works in Bose headsets, but in a car? Well, I was about to find out. I placed my order and a few days later, this showed up:

Everything was systematically packaged and well-padded.

Installation instructions are provided online, which is bittersweet, because like any man, I like to crumple up instructions and toss them in the trash without reading them. The only part of the installation which took any focus at all was cutting the opening for the extra exhaust tips. More on that later. If anybody has installed cheap, off-shore-manufactured exhausts on BMWs (and God forbid N54 downpipes), you'll know what a huge PITA a poor fitting exhaust system is. I can't count how many times we've had to get medieval on a 'direct bolt on' system. In fact in our shop, we have different installation rates for different brands of exhausts. This system was simply bolt it together, front to back. There was no bending of hangers or pry-bar persuading parts into submission. It clicked together like a Lego kit.

As I said earlier, the only part of the install that made me nervous was cutting the rear bumper cover. Cutting it wrong would be a very expensive mistake. We ordered the template that comes with the quad tip exhaust option (you can get a twin tip exhaust for the 328/428, but how fun is that?). The template was not just a printed-on-paper-and-you-cut-it-out job, it was a 3d printed plastic part that you bolt into place!. It has a thicker flange to guide your sharpie where you mark the bumper. This setup is good enough that I would encourage the DIYer to do this installation in their garage.

Here's the template:

Finally, the moment of truth. With fingers crossed, fearing many a sleeping-on-the-couch nights, I fired her up. The sound was smooth, sporty, with none of the rasp you would expect from a 4 cylinder engine. The best part of the experience is the part-throttle acceleration. You hear the purposeful sound of the exhaust in a subtle but significant way. With the stock exhaust, you really couldn't hear the motor. The clattering of the injector solenoids under the hood were more noticeable than the exhaust. That combined with the well-dampened electric steering feel made for an antiseptic experience. It was a great car, just not fun enough for me. This one mod has made all the difference in the driving experience of the car. It's now fun to drive! We did a four-hour family trip last weekend to and from the Jersey shore. Highway cruising was without drone at any RPM.

So what did my not-a-car-guy wife think? She liked it and said the car ran smoother. At first I didn't get what she meant, because an exhaust will not have that kind of effect on engine management. In talking about it, I figured out that, because she could hear the exhaust, she could shift more smoothly than before (we don't mess around with automatic transmissions in our household). She enjoys the tasteful sound difference, and likes the look of the quad exhaust. Now if I could only get her to wash the car once in a while!

We've taken some videos of the car which I'll post soon. As you know, videos struggle to demonstrate the true sound of a car, from both outside and the driver's seat. If anybody is in the Philly area and considering and exhaust for their 28i, drop me a line and I'll arrange to have the car here for a demo.

Bottom line: this exhaust is pretty sweet, and no, I'm not on the couch tonight.

Last edited by eric@helix; 07-17-2015 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
donkey464.00
      07-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
MCweapon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Sweet wright up. I've been looking for a 328 with exhaust to hear how they sound. In for vids.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
T_flare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

is this with the midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
eric@helix
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_flare View Post
is this with the midpipe?
The system is complete--a true cat-back that doesn't require cutting and clamping of the stock system. Here's the image from their site:

Appreciate 2
      07-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Josh/AWE
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F80 M3 Comp

That is an excellent, well written review! Cheers! We're honored to have our Touring Edition Exhaust on a Helix hauler.

We're glad you appreciate the effort we put into crafting our exhausts. 180 Technology®: Eliminating drone while keeping relationships solid.

PS- Awesome license plate!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
eric@helix
United_States
Rep

Here's a quick video of the exhaust in action. The video depicts the sound quality pretty well but especially in the static rev shot the video makes the exhaust seem louder and raspier than it really is.

Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Nice video...no video/sound from inside the car though huh? My biggest concern is drone..while I know you said zero drone at any RPM, a sound byte would be nice . Overall, sounds pretty awesome.
      07-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
MCweapon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thx for the vids. Looks like this is a way nicer system than AA and others. I'm going to have to justify the added cost. Two warranty questions. What's the awe warranty on it and does anybody have real world experience with the dealerships and warranties with exhausts like this?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE View Post
We're glad you appreciate the effort we put into crafting our exhausts. 180 Technology®: Eliminating drone while keeping relationships solid.
I spoke with Mike R and he told me there is about a five week lead time right now due to the move. I am interested in a single side cat-back system for the N20 along with some other parts. Any idea if that is a guesstimate on completion or if that is the actual time frame currently?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Josh/AWE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCweapon View Post
Thx for the vids. Looks like this is a way nicer system than AA and others. I'm going to have to justify the added cost. Two warranty questions. What's the awe warranty on it and does anybody have real world experience with the dealerships and warranties with exhausts like this?
You can see our complete warranty policies here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I spoke with Mike R and he told me there is about a five week lead time right now due to the move. I am interested in a single side cat-back system for the N20 along with some other parts. Any idea if that is a guesstimate on completion or if that is the actual time frame currently?
We can't give an exact time for completion, but an ETA of around 5-6 weeks is correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
eric@helix
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Kewl, but go with the quad-tip! You won't be disappointed, and the install is really easy with the 3d printed template. I understand the reservation--I had it, too--but I'm really glad that I went for it now that it's in.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
eric@helix
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Nice video...no video/sound from inside the car though huh? My biggest concern is drone..while I know you said zero drone at any RPM, a sound byte would be nice . Overall, sounds pretty awesome.
Here is a quick and dirty video of the inside the car with both the windows up and down. Sorry for the bumpy ride and wind noise--it makes it more authentic!

Appreciate 3
      07-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
sounds good!

MT too? nice!
      07-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
eric@helix
United_States
Rep

^Yeah, I just can't imagine getting an AT on an enthusiast car. I don't care if the AT is faster, the future, etc: It's just not as fun. As I said in the OP, It's easy to find a fast car, but hard to find a fun car. That's why my DD is a:

I have a highly modified 135i which is waaaaay faster than the Clownshoe, but it doesn't have the same soul. It doesn't hold my attention.

This exhaust transformed the 328i from--I'm going to ruffle some feathers here--a soulless car into a really fun sports sedan. The change is subtle, but it makes all the difference in the world. Again, if anybody's in the Philly region and wants to hear it, give me a ding and I'll take you for a ride.

I'm open for dissenting opinions on the trans choice: tell me why I'm wrong.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #15
MCweapon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Meh. I find that it's mostly older folks that stick with the stick. I'll take an awesome auto over manual any day. Did you have an eight track tape deck retrofitted as well?
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #16
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Meh. I find that it's mostly older folks that stick with the stick. I'll take an awesome auto over manual any day. Did you have an eight track tape deck retrofitted as well?
Ah young people...they don't get it hahaha
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
Josh/AWE
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #18
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
as i grew older the less i wanted manual in my daily driver but the more i prefer it for the weekend/sunday driver.
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #19
goon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i AW

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I went with awe tuning suite as well. my experience was a little different. First off, I love this exhaust....but it is loud and aggressive. ive been tuning bmws for 10 years and this is the most aggressive exhaust ive heard.i had a downpipe and together it was just too much for me. I pulled off the downpipe and went back to stock dp. that helped and gave me a more manageable sound. just food for thought for those interested in this exhaust.
      08-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #20
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

I had my Touring exhaust installed last Thurs. I find that it's loud, aggressive, and deep...but only when I want it to be. Otherwise, it's subtly louder than stock in normal driving conditions with zero drone.

Stock downpipe here.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #21
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Nice stuff guys!
Anything for the F25 guys?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #22
Josh/AWE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
Nice stuff guys!
Anything for the F25 guys?
Unfortunately not... yet anyway. Who knows what the future will bring! if demand is deemed fit, it would be rude not to take action.
Appreciate 1