F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech Backup Camera & Mirroring
proTUNING Freaks

09-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
e_arunsid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

BimmerTech Backup Camera & Mirroring

I am considering installing bimmertech backup camera and the smartview for my 328i , Has anyone done this install recently .I m not experienced in DIY hence was looking for someone to install - do we have a installer in Atlanta ,Georgia.

I would like to see it in person before making this purchase. Do we have any members who would help me with this.

I also heard that the bimmertech device gets really hot. How can we take care of this .
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

We have a installer in the Atlanta area.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
e_arunsid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
Thanks Nelson.

is there someway i can see the product . I have seen the youtube videos but would like to see it in person before doing the install.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_arunsid View Post
Thanks Nelson.

is there someway i can see the product . I have seen the youtube videos but would like to see it in person before doing the install.
Unfortunately our installer in Georgia doesn't stock our rear view camera kits. Your best best is finding a local member...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #5
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Some pics from my install

I inserted the device beside the idrive from the kick panel in the driver side footwell. The pink stuff is some padding that inserted to eliminate any sound that may happen due to movement ( I hate car creaks and rattles ).

I wrapped the remainder of the cable in the pink padding and stuffed it inside the kick panel

Install has been done about one month ago and working well so far

Last edited by Ouzzo; 09-16-2015 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: Adding one line
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

i noticed that you have covered the unit up in foam , i hope you made cutouts for the breather holes .
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post
i noticed that you have covered the unit up in foam , i hope you made cutouts for the breather holes .

Yes I did and only covered one side only. I was too scared of car rattles to leave it without something to cushion it.
      09-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post

How about in Seattle, Washington?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47 View Post
How about in Seattle, Washington?
Yes we have one
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
e_arunsid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks Ouzzo
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
K320
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: G01-X3 30i MSport

Have both and they work great.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
T_flare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Do you have installers in houston? Would love to do business
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_flare View Post
Do you have installers in houston? Would love to do business
We do. Are you an installer?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Sasha213
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Imperial Blue

Hi, I'm also interested in the non-OEM (no PDC and no Nav) back up camera and smartview device. I'm doing some comparison shopping to make sure I get the best bang for my buck, and I've got a few questions.

For the non-OEM rear view camera, can anyone comment as to the quality in low or no light situations? Most of the reason I want the camera is because it's very dark at night where I park, and turning my head doesn't help, since it's black out all windows and mirrors.

I've seen other backup cameras where low/no light isn't a problem, and you still get a clear view of the surroundings. So I'm interested to hear about the BimmerTech's non-OEM camera.

And for the smartview, it creates a wifi signal for mirroring, so it doesn't use any LTE/3G data, correct? The phone would require data if you were using YouTube or Google maps, but it wouldn't use any data between the phone and the smartview device (since its wifi), right?

I own a 2014 F32 435i. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, I live in Jacksonville, Fl. Is there a licensed installer here, or is Orlando the closest location? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to do it myself.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #15
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha213 View Post
Hi, I'm also interested in the non-OEM (no PDC and no Nav) back up camera and smartview device. I'm doing some comparison shopping to make sure I get the best bang for my buck, and I've got a few questions.

For the non-OEM rear view camera, can anyone comment as to the quality in low or no light situations? Most of the reason I want the camera is because it's very dark at night where I park, and turning my head doesn't help, since it's black out all windows and mirrors.

I've seen other backup cameras where low/no light isn't a problem, and you still get a clear view of the surroundings. So I'm interested to hear about the BimmerTech's non-OEM camera.

And for the smartview, it creates a wifi signal for mirroring, so it doesn't use any LTE/3G data, correct? The phone would require data if you were using YouTube or Google maps, but it wouldn't use any data between the phone and the smartview device (since its wifi), right?

Edit: Also, I live in Jacksonville, Fl. Is there a licensed installer here, or is Orlando the closest location? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to do it myself.
The view from rear view camera at low to no light condition is very satisfactory. I found no issues at all using it on dark streets

Don't worry about the data while using smart mirror, it works. I use it all the time with google maps and the phone mirrored to idrive , I even sometimes listen to streaming music from the phone at the same time
      09-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Orlando is the closest, we have guys drive down from Jacksonville all the time. Ohh and I'm the Orlando installer
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #17
Sasha213
Rep

Well, that's certainly good to hear if I decide not to install it myself. My worry in taking it somewhere is that they wouldn't do the best job installing it, but I'd have to guess you're pretty capable. Lol

However, I noticed the website for SmartView mentions it doesn't work with iOS 9 yet. Is there a limitation in iOS 9 that means it can't work anymore? I just recently updated.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #18
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well, that's certainly good to hear if I decide not to install it myself. My worry in taking it somewhere is that they wouldn't do the best job installing it, but I'd have to guess you're pretty capable. Lol

However, I noticed the website for SmartView mentions it doesn't work with iOS 9 yet. Is there a limitation in iOS 9 that means it can't work anymore? I just recently updated.
http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/11/apple-ios-9-airplay-improvements-screen-mirroring/
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
Sasha213
Rep

So what's the fix for SmartView? Is there somehow a software update from BimmerTech that addresses it?

Or does the SmartView device rely on another mirroring app like Reflector (mentioned in the article), and once the mirroring app updates for iOS 9 then the SmartView device will work perfectly again?

Also, OP mentioned it briefly, but how much of a problem is overheating with these devices? I assume it helps if the multimedia device isn't sandwiched between the iDrive and the SmartView.

Thanks for the help and clarifications.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #20
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So what's the fix for SmartView? Is there somehow a software update from BimmerTech that addresses it?

Or does the SmartView device rely on another mirroring app like Reflector (mentioned in the article), and once the mirroring app updates for iOS 9 then the SmartView device will work perfectly again?

Also, OP mentioned it briefly, but how much of a problem is overheating with these devices? I assume it helps if the multimedia device isn't sandwiched between the iDrive and the SmartView.

This is an IOS 9 issue with Airplay. For now it will only work with Reflector.

No problems with overheating.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

We are working on a fix (workaround) for iOS 9.

The multimedia interface and SmartView get hot but it does not mean they are overheating. Your radio head unit also gets really hot.
Good practice is not to put together two device that are generating much heat.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
Sasha213
Rep

Regardless of the problems with iOS 9, would the SmartView device usually rely on another app (such as Reflector)? That's pretty handy for long term use, since I imagine Reflector has better software support than what BimmerTech is able to handle.

What kind of fix are you talking about, Patrys? Would it only help models made after the fix, or would there be a way it could help devices already purchased, like through some sort of patch? I'm a little confused, because Nelson made it sound like SmartView would be fine once Reflector found a work around, not that the device itself needs a fix.

Side question, is the back up camera image sensor CCD or CMOS?
Appreciate 0