F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Left my car running!?!?!
Studio RSR

06-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK
Hmm, wonder if you've got a faulty sensor?

As rt10415 says the manual states:

Safety mode
After the engine switches off automatically, it will not start again automatically if any one of the following conditions are met.
▷ The driver's safety belt is unbuckled and the driver's door is open.
▷ The hood was unlocked.
Some indicator lamps light up for varying lengths of time.

The engine can only be started via the Start/ Stop button.
Ahh yes, just opened my car's manual and seen this. Yep the Safety Function has failed.
Page 59 in the UK one.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Yep, although I failed the car, it failed me big time so will call BMW Assist in the morning I think or get onto my dealership. The car failed to conform to its Safety Function. Also, when the key is removed from the car's interior, engine restart is prohibited. I had the key and locked the fecker! But what did it do? Brum!
Oh well, see this as us improving future generation F30's! Cheers for the help guys and keep it coming! Would be interested to hear more about this ASS update but wasn't this for the 335i back in Feb/March?

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
WOW, manual ASS must be a lot different then. I never turn my car off fully. I either come to a stop and it goes in ready mode and if not I hit the start/stop button once. I walk away with my music playing then I hit the lock a few feet away when I can barely hear my music.

Engine goes from ready to off once I open the door.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
Pretty sure the update was after Feb 2012, the only way to know specifically would be to ask your dealer next time you bring it in. Maybe someone (E90Fleet) has the service bulletin?
Cool thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Today I put my 328i in park, but left the engine running as I got out to get the mail. I did have ASS on. The key was in my pocket and I shut the door. The car shut off as soon as I got outside and the door was shut. This is how it should work, so if yours didn't do that, I would take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
Today I put my 328i in park, but left the engine running as I got out to get the mail. I did have ASS on. The key was in my pocket and I shut the door. The car shut off as soon as I got outside and the door was shut. This is how it should work, so if yours didn't do that, I would take it to the dealer.
hmm mine was still running when i left the car on and closed the door to have a cigarette. i'm going to have to check it out with the dealership and see if they have any updates. good to know!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #29
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15
Hmmm I don't know if that sounds right but I will try it in neutral since I don't have park. I would think you would have the option of leaving the car running. I know I have left the car running before but not sure I locked the door.

I know for sure if you are at ready and you open the door your car turns off.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Did I read this correctly, and the car ran for 10 min.? The dealership left my motor running for hours. I once dropped it off for service full, and got it back 3/4 empty. That was two years ago so I hardly think it matters. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL View Post
Has anyone tested the so called "range" of the key? We tested my dads Altima coupe he got out to get the mail and I drove slowly to the end of his street, probably a good 500-600 yards. Then decided to turn around. Car never shut off. So I don't know if that would actually shut off your car unless you were very far away from it.

Too much complexity for something that should really be simple.
Some convenience tech is ASS-inine.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Really?! Wow, can you post or send me that extract?
My events always go:
Stop
P (ASS Shut off)
Handbrake
Seatbelt off
[Engine Start Stop button to turn OFF] - Although I obviously missed that step this time.
Door open
Door close
Lock
Hold lock for mirror fold (although I didn't do it on this occasion)
I never press the P button on the stick. When you come to a halt, just hit the Start/Stop button, the car will turn off and engage P automatically. It saves a step and should avoid the car 'restart' problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #33
loosenit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 328i Luxury

Quote:
How retarded is the ASS system?!?!?
"Is that your BMW running out there?!"
"Huh?!"

I'll explain - got to a site today, put my car in Park and secured it with the handbrake as per usual, so the ASS must've turned the engine off. Well, to the "Ready" state. What with all the fannying about, and taking my iPhone out the Media Cradle and general stuff, I must not have hit the Engine Start Stop button to turn it completely "Off", unbeknown to me at the time since there was complete silence from the car! So I got out, shut the door and locked the car, and even saw the iDrive, etc... turn off so I walked away from it as usual without a thought!

10 minutes later, "Hey! Is that your BMW running out there?!"

Indeed it was! My 328i was running!!!
Yes, this is my fault, but not by much! I should've looked at the needle to see if it was at "Ready" or "Off" but you can't portion too much blame on a guy walking away from a stopped, silenced and locked car! Especially when he saw the electrics go off!
Surely the car would gong when the door is open or throw a strop when you try to lock it!? Obviously not! My old Jag X-Type beeped and flashed the hazards if I tried to lock it with a door slightly ajar, so one would expect the latest offering from BMW to do something not too disimilar, especially as the engine is "engaged"!!
So I'm really mad at the ASS system for not warning me and for RESTARTING MY BLOODY CAR!!! Why?!?! YOU ARE F**KING LOCKED, EVERYTHING OFF AND KEY OUT OF RANGE!!!! HOW RETARDED ARE YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?

So yes, that was frustrating... And not good for my not run-in engine. 800 miles on it. Thankfully it was only 10 minutes because this guy realised it was on, so I'm more relaxed than I otherwise would've been.

Think I am going to complain about this to BMW, no warning or even an illuminated light is ridiculous. My fault, but a very easy mistake to make. What if I was leaving it in the fricking airport carpark for a week or something?!
You are not alone, I did the same thing when I first got my F30. I felt like a total dufas when it happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #34
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Sorry to read about your most embarrassing experience. Thankfully it was only a few minutes that your car was idling after re started itself. It must have been very confusing initially and I hope it doesn't happen again - to anyone, however, I'm so sorry but whilst reading your post, I burst out laughing, more at the very descriptive manner of the post.

To have been there with you at the time would have been priceless. I am not making fun of you or your situation, but you did explain yourself very well and based on that I could only imagine what happened next!

Thankfully no harm done and I hope you have this silly situation sorted.
Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #35
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I recall this situation the OP states, happening to me and my former F10 535iA....No ASS, but we stopped at a parkinglot of a highway restaurant to drink some stuff. I turned the radio off, apparently forgot to push the start/stop button , the car is so silent. We got out of the car, I locked it. Keyfob in my jacket with me.

We went for coffee for about half an hour or so.

I came back, unlocked it, and noticed the car was still running. I felt like an idiot, with ASS I would feel less than an idiot I guess.

This is the price 'we' pay for having a startstop button/ASS and forgetting to really turn the engine off like in the 'old days' with the key.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #36
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
WOW, manual ASS must be a lot different then. I never turn my car off fully. I either come to a stop and it goes in ready mode and if not I hit the start/stop button once. I walk away with my music playing then I hit the lock a few feet away when I can barely hear my music.

Engine goes from ready to off once I open the door.
This is exactly how it works with me. I'm a bit surprised it didn't work like that with the OP.

When the car goes to ready, and I open the door, it will go to the off state. Same as with you, I leave everything on, I close my door, lock it and everything is shut off automatically.

The only time I actually hit the on/off button is when the car did not go to ready state but keeps idling because of the a/c.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #37
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
"Huh?!"

I'll explain - got to a site today, put my car in Park and secured it with the handbrake as per usual, so the ASS must've turned the engine off. Well, to the "Ready" state. What with all the fannying about, and taking my iPhone out the Media Cradle and general stuff, I must not have hit the Engine Start Stop button to turn it completely "Off", unbeknown to me at the time since there was complete silence from the car! So I got out, shut the door and locked the car, and even saw the iDrive, etc... turn off so I walked away from it as usual without a thought!

Yes, this is my fault, but not by much! I should've looked at the needle to see if it was at "Ready" or "Off" but you can't portion too much blame on a guy walking away from a stopped, silenced and locked car! Especially when he saw the electrics go off!
Surely the car would gong when the door is open or throw a strop when you try to lock it!? Obviously not! My old Jag X-Type beeped and flashed the hazards if I tried to lock it with a door slightly ajar, so one would expect the latest offering from BMW to do something not too disimilar, especially as the engine is "engaged"!!
So I'm really mad at the ASS system for not warning me and for RESTARTING MY BLOODY CAR!!! Why?!?! YOU ARE F**KING LOCKED, EVERYTHING OFF AND KEY OUT OF RANGE!!!! HOW RETARDED ARE YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?

So yes, that was frustrating... And not good for my not run-in engine. 800 miles on it. Thankfully it was only 10 minutes because this guy realised it was on, so I'm more relaxed than I otherwise would've been.

Think I am going to complain about this to BMW, no warning or even an illuminated light is ridiculous. My fault, but a very easy mistake to make. What if I was leaving it in the fricking airport carpark for a week or something?!
Yes the ASS has been quite quirky for me as well. Car has died out on me a few times at red lights. I need to get the latest programming update at the dealer.

As for your motor running for 10 min and not being broken in don't worry about that. Before you take delivery of your vehicle it goes through numerous tests and runs alot at the factory. One test is the dynamic road ability test aka dyno test, at my factory our cars sometimes reach speeds excess of 100mph, they sit and idle while updates are being done to them via voodoo system, so no worries it'll be fine. before you even sit behind the wheel of your brand new car, I'd say at least 2 dozen people have driven it prior to you.

Just change your 1st oil at around 1500 mi, that's my reccomendation, and alternate your car speed, and she'll break in nicely.
      06-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #38
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post

Thankfully no harm done and I hope you have this silly situation sorted.

Cheers
No harm done this time, but it's not a silly situation at all-

Most people own homes with attached garages, and should this have happened at night with the OP getting home and kissing his kids goodnight this incident and the associated carbon monoxide could have killed his whole family.

Much as I'm looking forward to getting my F30, I am very uneasy about the engine stopping as I'm ready to make a quick dart across traffic and now this engine-running incident. There should be a way to disable this ASS nonsense for those of us that don't care about the environment or pinching pennies on fuel. It's a frivolous $50,000 luxury car, not a Prius. BMW shouldn't wait for someone to get hurt, should have a "permanent ASS off" solution for those of us who want it.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #39
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
This is exactly how it works with me. I'm a bit surprised it didn't work like that with the OP.

When the car goes to ready, and I open the door, it will go to the off state. Same as with you, I leave everything on, I close my door, lock it and everything is shut off automatically.

The only time I actually hit the on/off button is when the car did not go to ready state but keeps idling because of the a/c.
So last night I tried a few different ways to replicate what the OP did and the only way this is possible is to have engine running, get out and lock the doors. Then the engine will remain running. Not trying to be an ass but just maybe OP rushed out of his car thinking he had shut it off and locked the doors.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #40
Gel214th
Private
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red BMW 328i sport

Quote:
"Huh?!"
The feature where the car automatically switches off when the key is a certain distance away from it should have been standard with these vehicles.

It makes the Keyless start feel half baked and the customer can't get the full benefit of it at all.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #41
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
While I do agree that if the key is not in range there should be something programmed in to realize this fact, your car is fine. 10 minutes of idling isn't going to randomly blow your engine somewhere down the line..

If you're really that unhappy with it, program the ASS default to OFF. Complaining to BMW won't get you anywhere.

..Also, there is an ASS update from the dealer that you may / may not have. If you don't have it, maybe it will address some of your concerns, but I am unsure of the specific functionality from the update.
Has anyone tested the so called "range" of the key? We tested my dads Altima coupe he got out to get the mail and I drove slowly to the end of his street, probably a good 500-600 yards. Then decided to turn around. Car never shut off. So I don't know if that would actually shut off your car unless you were very far away from it.
This is a safety feature. In case there's an error with the key, you won't get stranded on train tracks, etc.
      06-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

I've been too busy and then forgot to contact my dealership today so I just tried it again... This time however:
Stop in D (idle)
ASS-ed off (Ready)
Handbrake (Ready)
Seatbelt off (Ready)
P (Ready)
Door open (OFF)
Lock (OFF)

I just checked on it and it's still off yay! So I'm confused as to why it restarted yesterday...
I will repeat the test as the days go on.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #43
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
So last night I tried a few different ways to replicate what the OP did and the only way this is possible is to have engine running, get out and lock the doors. Then the engine will remain running. Not trying to be an ass but just maybe OP rushed out of his car thinking he had shut it off and locked the doors.
That's a bit what I was thinking.. the 328i is very silent and I have had it myself once or twice that the engine was still running when I closed the doors.. I noticed it because the alarm didn't beep when I locked the doors. I can imagine, if you don't have the alarm, you might get into such a situation.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache
Quote:
That's a bit what I was thinking.. the 328i is very silent and I have had it myself once or twice that the engine was still running when I closed the doors.. I noticed it because the alarm didn't beep when I locked the doors. I can imagine, if you don't have the alarm, you might get into such a situation.
I'm pretty god damn certain the engine was off when I got out. The 328i is quiet, but not THAT quiet. I walked past the front of it too so I would've definitely heard it. I'm 100% that engine was ASS-ed off when I got out! :P

Appreciate 0