F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 335i M Performance Power Kit INSTALLED (Review)
GetBMWParts

04-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #221
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBUSINESS007 View Post
They're equally as good I can imagine in their own respective ways.
No question auto has more torque I just think if I was considering it I'd like to see both reviews as a baseline variable that's all! Happy power everyone! ...glad to,see yours is improving too!
      04-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #222
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
my .02 is that i think it'd look kind of cheesy on the back of the trunk. kind of like when you see a corolla with a TRD sticker on the back. Just my opinion that's all

sides might look good...or what about the side rear window, lower portion
I put them on the lower rear side skirts as depicted in the instructions another poster sent me. I think they look pretty good. I will post pictures ASAP...been out of town all weekend.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #223
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xDRIVE Sedan

How about mounting the m badge on the grill. It's respectfully deserved. We have an m performance tune. They come in German flag colors. Original m color and the black and white
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #224
edward.b.mendez
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sport line

Can anyone tell me where to buy this kit at? I am currently in Virginia and have asked BMW Richmond for this kit and they have no clue of what I'm talking about. I have given them the information from BMW USA and they tell me that the part is unavailable in the US/CANADA/Deutschland! What gives? Burdick BMW (Syracuse, NY) told me the same thing! How can I get my claws on a kit and have it installed? Thanks

Eddie
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #225
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

I'm sorry to join the discussion a little late...this is actually my first post here. I have a 13 335i on order (en route from Germany as I type). I have been torn between the M Perf Package or simply waiting for the Dinan Stage 2 upgrade when it supposedly arrives for the f30 this summer.

Here's my real question....as promising as some of these firsthand reviews sound regarding the new PPK, they mostly sound like the throttle pedal is simply more sensitive. Not having to press the throttle as hard in comfort mode doesn't impress me if, when floored, it would give me the same result without the PPK. I don't think one can really tell if this package truly has increased performance unless the comparisons are done under full throttle acceleration....anything else could just be fooling us into thinking more power due to a more sensitive pedal.

So....any thoughts? Is it truly adding "seat of the pants" increases in power under full throttle (in sport mode) conditions?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #226
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward.b.mendez View Post
Can anyone tell me where to buy this kit at? I am currently in Virginia and have asked BMW Richmond for this kit and they have no clue of what I'm talking about. I have given them the information from BMW USA and they tell me that the part is unavailable in the US/CANADA/Deutschland! What gives? Burdick BMW (Syracuse, NY) told me the same thing! How can I get my claws on a kit and have it installed? Thanks

Eddie
Same problem here, you can do what I'm doing, order the part online then just get it installed at the stealership. ie. http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #227
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I'm sorry to join the discussion a little late...this is actually my first post here. I have a 13 335i on order (en route from Germany as I type). I have been torn between the M Perf Package or simply waiting for the Dinan Stage 2 upgrade when it supposedly arrives for the f30 this summer.

Here's my real question....as promising as some of these firsthand reviews sound regarding the new PPK, they mostly sound like the throttle pedal is simply more sensitive. Not having to press the throttle as hard in comfort mode doesn't impress me if, when floored, it would give me the same result without the PPK. I don't think one can really tell if this package truly has increased performance unless the comparisons are done under full throttle acceleration....anything else could just be fooling us into thinking more power due to a more sensitive pedal.

So....any thoughts? Is it truly adding "seat of the pants" increases in power under full throttle (in sport mode) conditions?
Have you read the reviews? Yes part of the tuning is throttle mapping, but this kit adds power. I mean, thats the whole point. Why would BMW put out something that underperforms? I suggest doing a little more research. Maybe try watching the video?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #228
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
Have you read the reviews? Yes part of the tuning is throttle mapping, but this kit adds power. I mean, thats the whole point. Why would BMW put out something that underperforms? I suggest doing a little more research. Maybe try watching the video?
Yes, I've read all 11 pages of the reviews above. I've also done a great deal of other research....and honestly, I haven't found one apples to apples 0-60 before and after, 1/4 mile before and after, or even dyno before and after. Heck, I've heard the N55 puts out around 325hp and 340+lb-ft stock at the crank. Could that be an exaggeration? Perhaps. The point is....every review I read talks about how much more sensitive the throttle seems to be ("comfort mode now feels how sport mode used to be") at half throttle, etc, etc. Another question....do the altered maps actually change boost? Everyone knows the reason turbocharged engines are so easy to enhance is because boost can be modified. If I see that boost has actually been changed through the mappings (even if just a little bit), I'll beca believer. On the other hand, if the mappings have just affected shift points and throttle sensitivity, well....it may be a gimmick to make us pay $1000+ to make us "feel" like we're going faster.

I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers....honestly, maybe I've done too much research, and I should quit trying to be such a skeptic. Perhaps I need to quit watching videos like Steve Dinan's video regarding the PPK:

http://youtu.be/qz4Gl3aBqdA

If you watch the video, Dinan gets 327 crank hp out of the package. I honestly think a broken-in N55 is putting out much more than 307 hp....thus causing me to doubt the PPK (at 327 hp) is really adding much at all...certainly not the claimed 20 hp. Again, sorry to be a skeptic (I'm actually very close to ordering), I just wanted to hear other perspectives or opinions if they're out there. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #229
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

The intake makes the blowoff sound louder and it hits even harder under WOT. I have several videos where you can hear this from my car. To say its just throttle mapping would be a HUGe understatement. There is an increase in torque FOR SURE and a greater feeling of nimbleness ( throttle mapping) and it also shifts quicker. The Hp I guess you can feel if you go at high speeds. I find myself braking more with this kit. If
You like I can take you for a ride and change your mind sport displays have been showing full power since I had my kit put on. 322 hp and 329 FT lbs. not sure if sport displays are in crank or wheel hp. Tested 0-60 with a stop watch several times. About 4.8 seconds most of the time. Range was from 4.79-5.1
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #230
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

You are being way too skeptical.

First, perhaps the throttle mapping has been adjusted to take advantage of the new found hp and torque based on changes in the torque curve.

Second, enough early adopters have given the thumbs up w/o the endorsement of a stop watch. They know the difference in their vehicles.

Third, do you really think BMW is stupid enough to charge this much $$ for fake power induced by changing throttle response. They might sell a few kits like that but sales would end right there. And , based on your assumptions, why did it take so long to "develop" this kit for sale.

Fourth, they have n55 engines putting out these hp and torque numbers in other vehichles.

If you are unsure, wait till you can test drive one and decided for yourself its a "head fake".
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #231
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Thanks....I appreciate the responses. Again, I apologize for my skepticism. Wasn't there something called a Sprint Booster that simply changed throttle sensitivity and made people feel like their car was faster because they didn't have to press the pedal as far to get power? But in the end, it didn't change the actual performance of the car. I might be mistaken....but if such a thing existed, that is the type of thing I was referring to. But I'm glad you guys are confident that BMW's offering is the real deal....I'm ready to order!

Does anyone know for sure if boost is affected. I heard somewhere it was increased by 1-1.5psi. Just not sure where to find that info. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #232
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks....I appreciate the responses. Again, I apologize for my skepticism. Wasn't there something called a Sprint Booster that simply changed throttle sensitivity and made people feel like their car was faster because they didn't have to press the pedal as far to get power? But in the end, it didn't change the actual performance of the car. I might be mistaken....but if such a thing existed, that is the type of thing I was referring to. But I'm glad you guys are confident that BMW's offering is the real deal....I'm ready to order!

Does anyone know for sure if boost is affected. I heard somewhere it was increased by 1-1.5psi. Just not sure where to find that info. Thanks again!
I think the meat of your question is how much power is really being added, and until we dyno it no one will know. The other half of your questions seemed to be if this was just all "emotional speculation" which it isn't.

I (and I'm sure the others with it) honestly have nothing to gain by saying "this thing is great". If we said that and it was false, I'm not sure what we'd gain. Unless one is a total d-bag, there's no point saying your car has more power if it doesn't, as your'e setting yourself up for constant depression. This kit is def more than throttle sensitivity and the car has more power. There will always be other options, but that's up to you to decide.

For me time is money, and this gave me more power w/o having to worry about anything really.
      04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #233
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

I am planning on dynoing mine this coming weekend. Keep in mind I'm AWD. To elaborate. 1st and 2nd gear is really quick (almost as if you added a lightweight pulley ). I am more than happy with the kit and am confident there is more torque and hP.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #234
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Looking forward to the dyno results. I have an xdrive M-Sport too with the 8 speed auto. Are you AT or MT?

Can't get any hard information about availabilty from the BMW dealers here in Vancouver BC Canada. Anyone in Canada getting any information from their dealers on the PPK?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #235
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

I'm an AT. I can tell you the shifts are quicker with the power kit
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #236
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
The point is....every review I read talks about how much more sensitive the throttle seems to be ("comfort mode now feels how sport mode used to be") at half throttle, etc, etc.

If the mappings have just affected shift points and throttle sensitivity, well....it may be a gimmick to make us pay $1000+ to make us "feel" like we're going faster.
The tune yields additional horsepower and torque, period.

It's fine to be skeptical of the available actual dyno data and the increasing amount of "butt dyno" data.

However, to insinuate that BMW is lying about the tune increasing horsepower and torque is a little overboard my friend. That would not be a gimmick. That would be BMW perpetrating a fraud on its customers.

That aside, if you revisit some of the posts I've made in this thread, I point out that the torque gains produced by the tune are substantial (that is, according to my well-calibrated butt dyno).

In fact, the torque gains exceeded my modest expectations by so much that I likened the tune's feel to what I experienced with the Dinan Stage 2 software (I had two 335i sedans with the Dinan Stage 2 tune).

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #237
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

I was under the assumption that the PPK would not only add boost but would also alter shift points, fuel pressure, valve timing, and all of the other aspects of engine management. So it would better manage all aspects of the car with the increased power safely.

This is why I was curious about stacking the PPK with a JB stage 1 or JB4 to increase the boost levels. Essentially, get the benefits of a flash tune with the power of a piggy back. More of an academic curiosity though, as I most likely waiting for Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #238
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

I ll be posting various videos tonight. All legal stuff of course. Merging onto expressway 0-60. Driving by from a stop sign. Legally at the limit of 30
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #239
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Just got the "Your order has shipped" email from Tischer for my pre-Nov 2012 PPK. Still waiting for the tracking details to show up on UPS.com, almost time to schedule the install appointment, maybe I might even have the PPK in by the end of the week!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #240
BMWBUSINESS007
F30 335 OWNER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817
Just got the "Your order has shipped" email from Tischer for my pre-Nov 2012 PPK. Still waiting for the tracking details to show up on UPS.com, almost time to schedule the install appointment, maybe I might even have the PPK in by the end of the week!
Congrats. You're going to love it. As I've been told and as I've experienced. The more days that pass, the better it feels. The pedal is so sensitive but not to forget, off the line there is that extra torque
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #241
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
OK...here's the photos of the "M Performance" decals installed per the official instructions/template:
Attached Images

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #242
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
OK...here's the photos of the "M Performance" decals installed per the official instructions/template:
cool! i actually think it looks stealthier than i thought!