F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 3 child seats in F34
ARMA SPEED

12-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
Eusebius
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

3 child seats in F34

I am a happy owner of a 320d GT, but I fear I will have to sell it when my third child will be born in two months. Does anybody know the way to install 3 child seats in the back seats of a F34? Despite the impressive legroom, the position of the belts and isofix points apparently doesn't allow to put three child seats, and even in the owner's manual BMW doesn't mention that it is possible - it only says that the two external seats are good for a child seat. I will be grateful for any suggestion, it would be a pity to sell this car for such a reason!
Greetings from Italy,
Roberto
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Skald
Private
Hungary
Rep
Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am a happy owner of a 320d GT, but I fear I will have to sell it when my third child will be born in two months. Does anybody know the way to install 3 child seats in the back seats of a F34? Despite the impressive legroom, the position of the belts and isofix points apparently doesn't allow to put three child seats, and even in the owner's manual BMW doesn't mention that it is possible - it only says that the two external seats are good for a child seat. I will be grateful for any suggestion, it would be a pity to sell this car for such a reason!
Greetings from Italy,
Roberto
Hello Roberto,

First of all, congratulations on your new baby I don't have any experience with this solution and it's quite expensive, but it might help you out with this dilemma:
http://multimac.co.uk/home

Merry Christmas! . )

BR

Thomas
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Nice find
      12-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

BMW probably thinks that by the time the third kid comes along your oldest shouldn't need a child seat anymore. Maybe you should find a new hobby? Or at least throttle things back a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
BMW probably thinks that by the time the third kid comes along your oldest shouldn't need a child seat anymore. Maybe you should find a new hobby? Or at least throttle things back a bit.
      12-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Skald
Private
Hungary
Rep
Drives: '16 F34 320d luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Touché

Last edited by Skald; 12-30-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

That is pretty cool and impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald View Post
Hello Roberto,

First of all, congratulations on your new baby I don't have any experience with this solution and it's quite expensive, but it might help you out with this dilemma:
http://multimac.co.uk/home

Merry Christmas! . )

BR

Thomas
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi GT

Congrats on your upcoming new arrival! We're expecting a second in a few months, planning on using seat belt in middle and latch behind passenger. Have the Clek Fllo, it's 13" at the base and 16.9" at the seat. One of the narrowest seats available. Will try installing this weekend, hopefully it'll fit. If it does, maybe try Clek?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

This website does a good job explaining, though for F30, not GT.

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/...-3-series.html

That being said, the GT is just a tad wider in HIP width. The anchor/isofix are about the same, but there is more usable space from the anchor to the door. The F30 has a seat hump over the wheel well, F34 does not. So, to get 3 across, you likely have to forgo the isofix and use the seat belts. That website claims seat belt attachment is just as safe and the isofix is just more convenient.

P.S. F30 LCI moved the outer seat belt buckles to improve child seat installation, but I don't know if the "update" leads to more seat space.
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]

Last edited by DJHakim; 01-24-2016 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Clek Fllos installed side by side. Used latch for rear passenger and belt for center. Both installations are equally safe when installed correctly. Latch also shouldn't be used once the seat+kid >65lbs. There's still room for a passenger behind the driver to be buckled in, although the buckle is not easily accessible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep

There's still quite a bit of room between the edge of the seat and car seat. Will be reinstalling few inches closer to the edge for more room behind driver.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by granCLop View Post
There's still quite a bit of room between the edge of the seat and car seat. Will be reinstalling few inches closer to the edge for more room behind driver.
Supposedly that gap is due to LATCH and the gap can be closed by using the seat belt instead. I hope that is the case!

BTW, you must live on a very steep hill!
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #13
NewToBMWGT
Rep
Drives: Astra

Hi everyone

Keen to buy our first GT but how is the GT for getting the kids in / out of their booster seats?

Do you think the seats sit high enough not to break your back? I'm about 6.1 so if it's anything like the normal 3 series that would be certainly a pain the ... back. We're both actually pretty tall.

I love the GT looks and pretty much everything about it. The height is my only worry and thus I'm in between the GT or a Rav4.

Also, how's the trunk for buggies + luggage etc.

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #14
JinksF34
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToBMWGT View Post
Hi everyone

Keen to buy our first GT but how is the GT for getting the kids in / out of their booster seats?

Do you think the seats sit high enough not to break your back? I'm about 6.1 so if it's anything like the normal 3 series that would be certainly a pain the ... back. We're both actually pretty tall.

I love the GT looks and pretty much everything about it. The height is my only worry and thus I'm in between the GT or a Rav4.

Thanks all!!

Hi,

I have a GT, I have 2 isofix car seats in the back, loads of leg room and space still in the back and the boot holds a tandem double pushchair and there's still room left for bags etc

You will have no problem, it's what the GT is designed for, all the fun of the saloon but with bigger bootspace and leg room than the estate.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #15
ShaneFalco
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinksF34 View Post
Hi,

I have a GT, I have 2 isofix car seats in the back, loads of leg room and space still in the back and the boot holds a tandem double pushchair and there's still room left for bags etc

You will have no problem, it's what the GT is designed for, all the fun of the saloon but with bigger bootspace and leg room than the estate.
+1 To this!

I specifically bought at GT because it is one of the few cars that is fun to drive, with good cargo room, not an SUV, but still has room for a rear facing child seat. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'10", and we can sit comfortably in front with the rear facing child seat behind either seat. FYI, we have a Britax Boulevard Clicktight child seat. It's definitely not a compact space saver model.

Also, if you remove the rear decklid panels, you have cargo room that rivals an SUV.

Seriously, what else are you going to buy that's not an SUV??? I looked at a Honda Accord, and the while the manual transmission was appealing, the FWD with the one-wheel-drive open differential was not. Not a good combo in any sort of snow/slush. Same with the Mazda 6.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToBMWGT View Post
Hi everyone

Thanks all!!
Sorry i dont have many pictures with kid seats handy but here is the base of a ketfit30 in our rear:

This is in my normal driving position, being a 6 footer myself.

Your normal rear facing infant seats should all fit fine. The only time when space gets close to infringing on front seat room is when they grow out of the infant and into the regular rear facing seat (or your 4 way convertible seats if you started there first.) Once they are able to be front facing, you have gobs of room. If they are all the age/size where they are in booster seats already, you are fine

For trunk space, our stroller fit length wise in far back section along the seats, leaving us the room in front and on top. Some times we did the opposite direction; easier to get in and out if we werent needing to fit extra stuff. There is also storage space under the floor to store things out of sight

If i remember next time i move car seats around, i can snap pictures of rear/front facing
Appreciate 0