F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > New to BMW and looking for advice
ARMA SPEED

04-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Deli
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

New to BMW and looking for advice

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a used 335i GT. I currently drive a Fiesta ST which is an amazing car, but my wife doesn't drive manual and we only have one parking spot. The reason I've landed on the GT is after tons of research, I can't find anything with this amount of interior practicality for the size (we have a small parking space so no SUV's). We are thinking kids in our future and this gives the perfect balance of sporty driving, comfortable cruising, and tons of space. This will be my first luxury car, so I have a few questions for the experts.

I'm looking at a 2014-2015 coming off of a lease. You can get a lightly used car for half the price of a new one which I find amazing and it should have been taken car of since it's free maintenance. With BMW, is it worth the extra couple thousand for a CPO, or any used one will be fine as long as it's inspected?

Should I consider any 3rd party warranties? I've never considered them in the past, but all my car's I've been able to wrench on and parts were always cheap, so not sure how hard these are to work on if something does go wrong.

Any reason NOT to get the GT? Any other cars I should consider or at least test drive?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli View Post
is it worth the extra couple thousand for a CPO
Absolutely.

Quote:
Should I consider any 3rd party warranties?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
Any reason NOT to get the GT? Any other cars I should consider or at least test drive?
I looked for over a year, nothing else in the price range compared. Porsche Panamera was my alternative choice, my budget disagreed.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
pardus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19' X3 M40i, '03 Z4

Love my GT 335i .... but I would get the CPO for piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

CPO for me has been convenient knowing that I am covered, but I have also not had any issues with my car where it has paid for itself. It will be covered until 2019 so if nothing happens I might consider it a bust. If you plan on modifying the car, know that CPO will be voided if your dealership detects mods/cares about them.

I would price shop aftermarket warranties, as this car has never had any big issues for me. I would rather pay $2k than $4k if they both cover the same things. That being said, aftermarket warranties are notorious for trying to reject claims, so make sure to do lots of research. It comes down to paying for the convenience.

I love how much space I have with the GT, and am so glad I went with this over the X3, knowing that it has basically the same amount of space. That being said, I have realized that with the back seats down, a regular 3series sedan has all the room I personally need. Because of this, I kind of wish I got the sedan for better aero as well as less weight. But this all depends on how frequently you will use the space. As I tell many people, don't buy an SUV to use two times a year, get the car you will be driving all the other times. For me that is a sport sedan, but this is still a very peppy car, especially with some easy modifications

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Deli
Rep

Thanks so far for the few responses and hopefully I get more. I also agree that generally we can get away with a much smaller car than we think. Heck, I currently drive a Fiesta ST and my car before this was a Miata, so I'm pretty rare in the world of CUV's everywhere. The main reason I'm looking at GT over sedan is for kids. Having the extra back space for rear facing seats and not having them kick the back is going to be a lifesaver. Otherwise I would have just went with the grand coupe for looks. Either way, I want a hatch since I know it just makes life so much easier. I also know I can get a better deal on a 328, but I've only ever owned 4 bangers, and I thought this may be a good opportunity to try something new and get the 6.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You don't need a GT for kids under the age of 12 or so. I got mine for a rear seat that will accommodate adults. If not for that need I would have got a 428GC.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

+1, you the rear seats on sedan have enough room, but test drive if you have not already. Also get the 335, if you get the 4 cylinder, you will regret it very quickly on a 4,000-pound car.

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
RaleighDawg
Rep
Drives: 2016 328iX GT

I got one of the last new 2016's and have only had it a little over a month. But have loved ever minute. I did have two issues, the first with the air conditioner not blowing for half a road trip home, but luckily it was night and not too hot that day and then worked fine the next morning. I have it at the dealer today and they identified an error in the operating system and possibly some component that was freezing something and making the in car temperature monitor fail. But I was just glad it was a real issue and not something that couldn't be reproduced and would haunt me again for a trip I have this week into hot country. The other was my brakes were not worn to the same level when I got it so the car shook a little when I braked from high speeds. They grinded it down to match. But those would probably be covered if you purchase it from the dealer.

I have never bought a used car, just don't know enough to make that judgment call on if it is a good or bad one. But if I ever did, I would do the cpo.

Don't buy a third party warranty. Only buy an extended warranty from a dealer that is provided by the manufacturer. Many of these warranty companies shut down before yours ends and if they are still around, normally will fight you if you have a claim and will try to use non-BMW parts.

I love the 3GT. It has tons of room. I do a lot of outdoor activities and this car accommodates all my gear and plenty of room for four adults or lots of kids. Also the panoramic sunroof pushed the back overhead light back towards the back of the ceiling and the kids can reach it. But what is great about that is it is angled so the driver doesn't get any glare from the light. I didn't even know it was on until I looked back and noticed it lighting them up. So is great because kids seem to always want that light on.

The 4GC seemed much smaller to me. But I did think it looked better, though I am one of those that thinks the 3GT is a good looking car too.

I'm taking mine to its first HPDE event Friday so I'll post how it did. But I am sure it will be tons of fun on the track. It's also my first HPDE event too, so super excited!

I was waiting for the Audi A5 sportback when I saw this car listed as the deal of the day and after checking it out, there was no reason to wait. The A5 supposedly would be about the size of the 4GC or smaller. I would have loved an A7, but that was more than I wanted to spend.

Has anyone seen the 5GT? I would love to pull up next to one and see how much bigger it really is.

If you don't have kids yet, you really may not need all the extra room in the back, but do check and see if a car seat can fit what ever car you do get. Because I had to get a new car when we had a kid because my Jetta did not have enough room in the back for a child seat. But if you have four adults in the car regularly, then the 3GT is the best car for the money and works great for most things you will ever need to carry. Though even for young kids, the extra room will come in handy for the mountain of stuff you will now have to carry every time you take the baby anywhere.

Good luck finding the right car, I know I did with the 3GT. My only regret is it didn't have the variable cruise control, but can't be too choosy when buying off the lot for a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
if you get the 4 cylinder, you will regret it very quickly on a 4,000-pound car.
My 328 beats my previous 270HP V6 Altima that weighed 500 pounds less, both empty and with a full load. It's plenty fast enough.
Quote:
Has anyone seen the 5GT? I would love to pull up next to one and see how much bigger it really is.
It's slightly larger, but inside most of the space increase is in the trunk. It's quite a bit more luxurious.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
GoodNewsEveryOne
Rep
Drives: F31 M-sport

Both the 3GT and the 3 series wagon are good options. If you are thinking about kids, I would go with the 3GT. The reason is rear facing convertible seats. I have a 3 series wagon. I have a 1 year old daughter and I have to keep the rear facing convertible seat in the middle location as it won't fit behind my seat. The rear facing infant seat would fit behind mine but the convertible is much bigger. The 3GT wouldn't have this problem due to increased leg room in the back seat.

As of now, I just keep her seat in the middle. The problem will occur when we have a second child. My daughter will be front facing by then but the second child for at least a year will have to be in a rear facing convertible seat after growing out of the infant seat. Either me or my wife will be quite cramped for that one year.

If you are fine with the styling, which I am, I would say go for the 3GT. I wish I did.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
Deli
Rep

Thanks GoodNewsEveryOne

This was exactly my thought process. I was originally looking at the Golf Alltrack, V60, Allroad, and 328 wagon. The Alltrack I had to go with the most expensive option to get what I wanted which I didn't think it was worth it for just the 1.8t engine. The V60 although nice looking is getting a little long in the tooth. I loved the new Allroad, but that meant needing to buy a 2017 or newer model which are still pretty expensive. When looking at the 328 wagon, I came across the 3 series GT which I didn't even realize existed, but gives me everything I'm looking for. I know I can probably away with the sedan/wagon, but why wrestle with child seats when I know how much easier it'll be in the GT. Also, like I said earlier, I've never owned anything but a 4 cylinder and the GT offers the 6 cylinder for a different driving experience. Since I need one car to do everything, I think it's a pretty good compromise. I know it doesn't have the following that I got with the Fiesta ST or the Miata, but everyone here that has one really seems to like theirs.
Appreciate 1
GTBrandon259.00
      04-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #12
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks GoodNewsEveryOne

This was exactly my thought process. I was originally looking at the Golf Alltrack, V60, Allroad, and 328 wagon. The Alltrack I had to go with the most expensive option to get what I wanted which I didn't think it was worth it for just the 1.8t engine. The V60 although nice looking is getting a little long in the tooth. I loved the new Allroad, but that meant needing to buy a 2017 or newer model which are still pretty expensive. When looking at the 328 wagon, I came across the 3 series GT which I didn't even realize existed, but gives me everything I'm looking for. I know I can probably away with the sedan/wagon, but why wrestle with child seats when I know how much easier it'll be in the GT. Also, like I said earlier, I've never owned anything but a 4 cylinder and the GT offers the 6 cylinder for a different driving experience. Since I need one car to do everything, I think it's a pretty good compromise. I know it doesn't have the following that I got with the Fiesta ST or the Miata, but everyone here that has one really seems to like theirs.
Still have that Miata? Looking to buy a toy car for a little track fun, too scared to put my GT into a wall

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #13
Deli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
Still have that Miata? Looking to buy a toy car for a little track fun, too scared to put my GT into a wall
Sadly I don't still have it although I loved that car and hope to own another one someday. I traded it in when I got the Fiesta ST. That would also make a really good track car if you are interested in buying that? Has lots of mods and only 10k miles on the clock. They are really cheap too. Only reason I'm getting rid of it is my wife doesn't drive manual and I need more space for kids/stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #14
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sadly I don't still have it although I loved that car and hope to own another one someday. I traded it in when I got the Fiesta ST. That would also make a really good track car if you are interested in buying that? Has lots of mods and only 10k miles on the clock. They are really cheap too. Only reason I'm getting rid of it is my wife doesn't drive manual and I need more space for kids/stuff.
Looking for a RWD car sadly, already had a FWD and now AWD car, trying to complete the trifecta

Also looking at dirt cheap Miatas to leave room for track modifications. Aka like $3k cars from craigslist just for fun haha, nothing too special.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #15
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

The F31 is a great option too
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #16
littleump
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 40i

definitely buy with warranty from BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
Deli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleump View Post
definitely buy with warranty from BMW
Everyone keeps saying to get the warranty which makes me a bit nervous about the reliability of the cars. I don't want something that is in the shop all the time. Are they really that unreliable or is it just because parts and labor are expensive and it's just a good idea to have?

I actually found the car I want on Carvana, but because of this it can't be CPO. They do offer extended warranty, but I may just reach out to the local BMW dealership I've been working with to see if they can purchase the car and then do the warranty through them. Not sure that's even possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It's just because parts and labor are expensive and it's just a good idea to have. How much do you pay for insurance? The same reason for having it applies.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #19
ablock
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 340GT xDrive

We love out GT, in fact we are on our second (340, first was a 2014 335). It's the perfect combination of sporty performance, comfortable ride, huge amounts of space for hauling and hobbies (we don't have kids), and just uncommon enough to retain the fun of exclusivity. We had exactly zero problems in a 3 year lease with the 335, hope the 340 is as reliable.

As for the 5GT, I think the rear end looks terrible — a wallowing hippopotamus — while the 3GT is perfectly proportioned. We have a roof rack (BMW accessory) and think that adds to the sporty/outdoorsy flare.

Can't speak to the warranty question but I think you'll love the car overall.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #20
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Take my 2016 335i GT lease, fully Loaded Mineral Grey over Coral Red, Every option except Driving Assistance Plus Package. $63,000 MSRP.

Only $535 a month, plus you have to give me $3745 cash, BUT you get that back at the end of the Lease because i put down multiple security deposits.

This deal is amazing!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 02:58 AM   #21
pgy915
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 328i GT

CPO

If you're planning to finance the GT, I would 100% recommend going the CPO route. In my opinion, why buy new when cars are probably the quickest depreciating asset? The advantage of going CPO is that you know its well inspected by BMW, while you can often negotiate for extended warranty (if not already included). Also, if you care about APR, they periodically have killer promotions, making patience your best friend. I acquired my 2014 328i GT ($26k out the door / 17k miles) with $3k down with 1.9% APR 5 yrs. CPO site below.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/financing-and-special-offers/

I honestly do not have one negative comment regarding my purchase. The car has ECO, Comfort, Sport, and Sport + modes, which cater to your emotions the day you drive the car. Although i'm typically in an office Mon-Fri (finance), the outdoors is what I love. This car provides the class/status I need for showing up to meetings, yet also embody the room for my hiking/mountain biking/snow boarding gear (this can translate to children I guess). Overall, this car is ideal for someone who is still hungry for the occasional adrenaline rush, but also needs the additional space for gear or in your case, children. :]

Feel free to message me if you have additional questions on negotiating with dealerships. A buddy of mine led a merger for two car manufactures. Gave me a lot of "insider scoop" on when to buy and when dealerships are most desperate to sell (they accrue space and interest expenditures everyday the car sits on the lot).
Appreciate 1
FSociety3807.00
      05-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #22
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgy915 View Post
If you're planning to finance the GT, I would 100% recommend going the CPO route. In my opinion, why buy new when cars are probably the quickest depreciating asset? The advantage of going CPO is that you know its well inspected by BMW, while you can often negotiate for extended warranty (if not already included). Also, if you care about APR, they periodically have killer promotions, making patience your best friend. I acquired my 2014 328i GT ($26k out the door / 17k miles) with $3k down with 1.9% APR 5 yrs. CPO site below.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/financing-and-special-offers/

I honestly do not have one negative comment regarding my purchase. The car has ECO, Comfort, Sport, and Sport + modes, which cater to your emotions the day you drive the car. Although i'm typically in an office Mon-Fri (finance), the outdoors is what I love. This car provides the class/status I need for showing up to meetings, yet also embody the room for my hiking/mountain biking/snow boarding gear (this can translate to children I guess). Overall, this car is ideal for someone who is still hungry for the occasional adrenaline rush, but also needs the additional space for gear or in your case, children. :]

Feel free to message me if you have additional questions on negotiating with dealerships. A buddy of mine led a merger for two car manufactures. Gave me a lot of "insider scoop" on when to buy and when dealerships are most desperate to sell (they accrue space and interest expenditures everyday the car sits on the lot).
I'm mad at myself that I didn't act fast enough on a 2014 328 gt in estoril blue fully loaded including M sport. It was listed at $25800 with 33k miles cpo. I've searched on cars.com and can't find any good deals 😔 Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0