F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Initial impressions of BMS N55 stage 1
ARMA SPEED

04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Jeff_in_Oviedo
Delivered!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335 M Sport

Initial impressions of BMS N55 stage 1

Today I had a clear road, and was first at the light. Had the car in sport+, and shifter in manual mode. I eased out, and rolled on the throttle @ 2k. The turbo hit very soon afterwards, and the tires started to break loose. I quickly let off a little, and shifted into 2nd. I only took it up to about 50mph, but the acceleration was incredible. Note, I only have about 60 miles on the odo, and still breaking it in, so thats why I short-shifted into 2nd. So far, the power in this car is incredible. The turbo spools up so quickly that it hits like a freight train, almost like being rear ended by a semi.

In a couple days i'll move up to the stage 2, which I already have waiting.
      04-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Oviedo View Post
Today I had a clear road, and was first at the light. Had the car in sport+, and shifter in manual mode. I eased out, and rolled on the throttle @ 2k. The turbo hit very soon afterwards, and the tires started to break loose. I quickly let off a little, and shifted into 2nd. I only took it up to about 50mph, but the acceleration was incredible. Note, I only have about 60 miles on the odo, and still breaking it in, so thats why I short-shifted into 2nd. So far, the power in this car is incredible. The turbo spools up so quickly that it hits like a freight train, almost like being rear ended by a semi.

Nice. The midrange torque is a beast. I honestly can't really tell much of an improvement above 6k rpm or 0-60 times but getting on it at 3k pushes you back in your seat for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
GET A GUN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Nice. The midrange torque is a beast. I honestly can't really tell much of an improvement above 6k rpm or 0-60 times but getting on it at 3k pushes you back in your seat for sure.
My 0-60 are averaging about 4.2 on drag radials with stage two map 1. 91 octane
      04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET A GUN View Post
My 0-60 are averaging about 4.2 on drag radials with stage two map 1. 91 octane
You're running a catless DP too though right? I'd imagine another 30hp/40tq ish helps a good deal. That and drag radials.

On stock wheels the best runs are without wheel spin or traction intervening and that means launching at 2k RPM or less unfortunately. I'm getting 4.7-4.8 with just stage 1 tune on stock tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Rustyboy155
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Anyone else notice that the stage 1 is a lot more digital? The throttle in comfort mode is normal till about 50% then it's just like full power in half an inch of pedal travel. Power delivery seems really rough too, not smooth at all like stock.
      04-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Oviedo View Post

No need to lift throttle to change gears even in manual mode.
In fact, doing that will slow down acceleration as it will result in a drop in boost pressure.
The beauty about AT is that you can keep the throttle on which keeps the boost up in between gear changes.

Don't worry about break in when rolling on the throttle.
Just avoid hard standing starts, and don't go WFO to red line.
You can easily enjoy the power you have by getting the car rolling, then give it a good helping of throttle steadily applied.
If you want to keep away from red line, then shift around 5000-5500rpm, and be ready to shift again quickly especially after 2nd as the gear changes between 3rd on up result in less rpm drop compared to the drop from 1 to 2, and 2 to 3. You won't hurt anything, and your warranty will remain intact.

Since you're doing a slower break in, why not just wait for stage 2 so that you can experience the full difference in the right way.
Enjoy the current power increase and once you start getting used to it, you can then "Go to 11" by adding the next tune stage.
Doing it all now while still driving in a book method break in just dulls the real experience.
That's just my suggestion, of course you can do as you like with your car.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-14-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
According to the dyno's what you feel is what you should feel.
The N54 and N55 don't open up on the top end with a tune.
The biggest improvement is the mid range, and the improvement is huge.
On the dyno the torque curve changes nicely with a good swell in low to mid rpm torque.

There is a good improvement in HP, but the actual curve doesn't change.
You'll note that the curve shows a nice HP gain, but it follows the same path as the curve is not altered and HP drops at the same RPM as stock.
So once you feel the huge swell in torque the drop from around 5000 to 5500 blunts the actual HP increase that is there.
Still, for best accel don't upshift too quickly, let the HP do it's thing.
Shifting early around 5500 may put you back into the meat of the big torque wave, and it may feel stronger, you're losing out on the increased HP that continues to accelerate the car.

I would prefer a tune that elongates the torque curve and moves the upper RPM curve so that we have greater torque for a longer rpm.
Diesel like torque is great for that low rpm, low MPH WOW, but I like a better top end.
Maybe that's not achievable with these new BMW turbo engines, or maybe the tuners are doing this to show huge torque numbers that result in greater sales. I don't know, as I haven't yet seen a tune that moves the curve higher up the rev band.
The tunes for Audi's 3.0T in the S4 actually change the HP curve by really opening up the top end, but that is a V6 supercharged engine, so not truly comparable. But, it's tuning ability is also amazing as is the N20, N54, N55 just in a different way.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Jeff_in_Oviedo
Delivered!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
No need to lift throttle to change gears even in manual mode.
In fact, doing that will slow down acceleration as it will result in a drop in boost pressure.
The beauty about AT is that you can keep the throttle on which keeps the boost up in between gear changes.
I lifted also partly because I was in a 45mph zone. The car is a total beast, that's all there really is to it. I did a little more spirited driving this morning, and was getting used to the manu-matic shifting. I have zero experience in it, since I had a manual 2002 WRX and then a Prius. I have basically forgotten how to handle this much power, and even when I did have ~400 hp, I had AWD, which meant that I could get away with almost anything and not lose control.

So far, I love this car!