F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > How I almost purchased the competition
GetBMWParts

11-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
thats interesting.. every time I walk into Zetland Audi I get the royal treatment.. coffee, cake, offered a ride in the RS4 and then the TT R or something, each time i walk away not putting down a deposit (twice in 3 yrs)

North Sydney BMW is the absolute crappiest, BMW hands down in sydney (FROM MY Experience - I Stress). Wanted to buy a 135i literally had a wad of $10,000 in my soft leather briefcase after converting my US dollars.. told sales guy I want a test drive, he said ok..then walked off..made me wait 15mins standing there.. he never came back.. after 5 more mins.. drove myself to BMW sydney sat in the 135i realise its not the car for me as it was just too small.. 30mins later paper work all done on my e92.
Yeah I guess they all have good and bad. Why would they offer you a ride in rs4 or tts, were they the cars you were enquiring on? What e92 did you get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Lol. Like everyone else, dealers do a little bit of stereotyping. Just convince them that you're their best chance of making a sale. Old mate seems to have the right idea. Clearly he's convinced T that he's about to drop a deposit on an A1 at any moment.
Hahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #24
plesg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
Fellas,

I have linked to my shitty exp with how I almost came to purchase the competition:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8937888&type=1

If that link doesnt work, this one may:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf

If you have nothing to do for a tenner then a like wouldnt go too far astray. might also somewhat entertain
Audi dealers that I went to were not interested in selling me a car, or Mercedes for that matter, and I was giving them a fair shot at convincing me their cars were better than My intended BMW purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #25
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
Prior to choosing the 328i. I considered & test drove:

Lexus IS350, Mercedes Benz C250, Audi A5 Sportback 2.0 T

I went to Lexus Parramatta, BMW Trivett & Marshalls Mercedes Benz & Audi Zetland to test drive. All of the dealers were quite nice, spent long hours at the dealers discussing the cars features, however most of them are quite skeptical on insisted on lower end models. In the end it was decision between an Audi A5 Sportback & BMW 328i. The Audi felt more more premium interior wise but down on power compared to the 328i which was great value which was best all rounder for its price.

In the end made the deal at BMW Sydney for its competitive pricing and attentive service.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #26
jamesp
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport MG

I have a 4 year old A5 3.0TDI Sportback, lovely car, but it will be for sale once my 335i M-Sport turns up.

The difference between the dealers was night and day, and I'm a current Audi customer so was very unhappy with how I was treated.

But at the end of the day it's how engaging the drive is. I didn't gel with the E90 335i 4 years ago, but now when comparing the F30 M-Sport, the current A4/A5 cars are basically the same as what I drive now - i.e. 5-6 years old design and drive versus a new for 2012 F30.

Lexus and MB were never on my radar.

Edit: I feel I need to give more detail.

I have been very time-poor since mid this year, but needed to get a replacement car on the way as the finance on the A5 was running out and I have no interest in keeping it.

I was away for several months, and traveling every week I ended up just emailing BMW and Audi dealers in November saying "this is what I am thinking of, what can I look at?". Audi gave me 50 minutes in one car mid morning, BMW said "we know you're busy, so just take the car home one night". A few weeks later I had some more headspace and had read a bit more about the options (which both of them emailed me), so I emailed both with "please quote on this".

BMW came back with the first price being aggressively discounted. Audi came back with RRP. Neither of them are interested in the A5 but surprisingly BMW offered a wholesale price, Audi didn't want to touch it.

A few weeks of two and fro with the BMW dealer whittled the price and refined the options to a compelling package. Audi still RRP.

Finally lost patience with Audi dealer, emailed him again asking for his final price saying I was making a decision this week. He emailed back wanting me to come into his office during his work week to discuss "when I was serious".

I work in sales, if one of my existing customers emailed me saying "I want this, I've done my research, give me your best price, and just because you know me, here's the competitive position I am also evaluating", to say to them "no, you have to come into my office at a time that suits me so I can brow-beat you into buying my product and I won't play my cards without you being in front of me", i know the response I would get.

Basically I was interstate during office hours mostly for a month or so, and the difference between the two cars was around $40k in BMW's favour by now, so I got 20 minutes on a Saturday and signed the paperwork with BMW. Total face time with BMW around 40 minutes - 10 minutes picking up a demo, 10 minutes dropping off, 20 minutes paperwork.

If you already know the customer, and have previously sold them cars so you know they're serious buyers, what message does it give to your customer when you waste their time and won't respect their request?

Last edited by jamesp; 12-29-2013 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #27
plesg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
I have a 4 year old A5 3.0TDI Sportback, lovely car, but it will be for sale once my 335i M-Sport turns up.

The difference between the dealers was night and day, and I'm a current Audi customer so was very unhappy with how I was treated.

But at the end of the day it's how engaging the drive is. I didn't gel with the E90 335i 4 years ago, but now when comparing the F30 M-Sport, the current A4/A5 cars are basically the same as what I drive now - i.e. 5-6 years old design and drive versus a new for 2012 F30.

Lexus and MB were never on my radar.

Edit: I feel I need to give more detail.

I have been very time-poor since mid this year, but needed to get a replacement car on the way as the finance on the A5 was running out and I have no interest in keeping it.

I was away for several months, and traveling every week I ended up just emailing BMW and Audi dealers in November saying "this is what I am thinking of, what can I look at?". Audi gave me 50 minutes in one car mid morning, BMW said "we know you're busy, so just take the car home one night". A few weeks later I had some more headspace and had read a bit more about the options (which both of them emailed me), so I emailed both with "please quote on this".

BMW came back with the first price being aggressively discounted. Audi came back with RRP. Neither of them are interested in the A5 but surprisingly BMW offered a wholesale price, Audi didn't want to touch it.

A few weeks of two and fro with the BMW dealer whittled the price and refined the options to a compelling package. Audi still RRP.

Finally lost patience with Audi dealer, emailed him again asking for his final price saying I was making a decision this week. He emailed back wanting me to come into his office during his work week to discuss "when I was serious".

I work in sales, if one of my existing customers emailed me saying "I want this, I've done my research, give me your best price, and just because you know me, here's the competitive position I am also evaluating", to say to them "no, you have to come into my office at a time that suits me so I can brow-beat you into buying my product and I won't play my cards without you being in front of me", i know the response I would get.

Basically I was interstate during office hours mostly for a month or so, and the difference between the two cars was around $40k in BMW's favour by now, so I got 20 minutes on a Saturday and signed the paperwork with BMW. Total face time with BMW around 40 minutes - 10 minutes picking up a demo, 10 minutes dropping off, 20 minutes paperwork.

If you already know the customer, and have previously sold them cars so you know they're serious buyers, what message does it give to your customer when you waste their time and won't respect their request?
Hi thanks for the detailed analysis. Seems to be a trend re Audi sales people. I had one Audi dealer basically give me the cold shoulder wouldn't help me at all and they weren't busy. Even though I paid a little more than I should I found Brisbane BMW to be fantastic in comparison, and just the right amount of pushy. Mercedes across the road were not much better....congrats on your purchase your going to love it...
Appreciate 0