F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > N55 rough idle/misfire at warm startup
GetBMWParts

05-22-2023, 08:46 AM   #23
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15_SGM View Post
Okay, I think next step would be to investigate the injectors. Try techron if no change it's another issue. Can you describe what you feel when driving more in depth? Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

Crankcase Ventilation hose is very common to be broken and many other brittle plastic hoses.
Outside the first 10 seconds on a warm startup, the car acts normal. I can sit at a red light/stop sign or parked with the engine running and it's all fine. WOT pulls nice and strong.

The only exception is when cruising at highway speed, gently giving it gas to maintain speed, it will feel like a mild roughness, as if it skipped 1 beat once in a blue moon. Let's say in a 30-minute drive, I'll feel it once or twice. It's so mild that I could be confusing it with the crappy NJ road conditions to be honest.

At the moment, I have an appt with a well-known indy shop next week so if this doesn't resolve, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it in.

I'll keep this thread updated.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 09:11 AM   #24
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Outside the first 10 seconds on a warm startup, the car acts normal. I can sit at a red light/stop sign or parked with the engine running and it's all fine. WOT pulls nice and strong.

The only exception is when cruising at highway speed, gently giving it gas to maintain speed, it will feel like a mild roughness, as if it skipped 1 beat once in a blue moon. Let's say in a 30-minute drive, I'll feel it once or twice. It's so mild that I could be confusing it with the crappy NJ road conditions to be honest.

At the moment, I have an appt with a well-known indy shop next week so if this doesn't resolve, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it in.

I'll keep this thread updated.
Can you calibrate the transfer case to rule it out. You won't need fresh fluid to just Calibrate/ test it. You can do it through ista+. Also if it does end up being injectors don't drive until you fix it. Fuel will wash oil out of cylinder and cause scoring.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 09:41 AM   #25
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can you calibrate the transfer case to rule it out. You won't need fresh fluid to just Calibrate/ test it. You can do it through ista+. Also if it does end up being injectors don't drive until you fix it. Fuel will wash oil out of cylinder and cause scoring.
How long does the transfer case calibration take? Also, would an issue with TC cause the rough idle while parked/first 10 seconds of starting the engine?

Also, do you know any test plan or a way to test the injectors? when I pulled the sparkplugs were dry and looked normal on all 6 plugs.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 10:55 AM   #26
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
How long does the transfer case calibration take? Also, would an issue with TC cause the rough idle while parked/first 10 seconds of starting the engine?

Also, do you know any test plan or a way to test the injectors? when I pulled the sparkplugs were dry and looked normal on all 6 plugs.
Calibration takes places less than 1 min on ista+. Now I don't believe it will do anything for rought idle but the since you say you can't tell if it's the nj road or the car I think it's an easy and quick to rule it TC before doing further diagnosis. As far as the injectors I'm not sure about the test plans but some have used the techron to see if anything changes to determine any problems in that component. Both easy and quick before sending it to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 10:56 AM   #27
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Calibration takes places less than 1 min on ista+. Now I don't believe it will do anything for rought idle but the since you say you can't tell if it's the nj road or the car I think it's an easy and quick to rule it TC before doing further diagnosis. As far as the injectors I'm not sure about the test plans but some have used the techron to see if anything changes to determine any problems in that component. Both easy and quick before sending it to the shop.
Noted! I'll report back. And I added the techron to my full tank.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #28
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just to make sure, this?
https://imgbb.com/4Z1Zk06

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #29
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
Just to make sure, this?
https://imgbb.com/4Z1Zk06
Yes, correct
Appreciate 1
jkwhar172.00
      05-23-2023, 03:32 PM   #30
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep

Quote:
Noted! I'll report back. And I added the techron to my full tank.
Any resolution?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:34 PM   #31
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Any resolution?
Nope. I did the calibration as well I have a map sensor coming in.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 07:58 AM   #32
owen.straub
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 2013 335i

Quote:
Nope. I did the calibration as well I have a map sensor coming in.
Did you find a fix to the issue? I've been dealing with the same issue. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:40 AM   #33
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen.straub View Post
Did you find a fix to the issue? I've been dealing with the same issue. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Nope, still dealing with this. I did change the TMAP sensor on the charge pipe just before the throttle body, no change.

Now that the temps are getting cold, I noticed that on cold start, the car feels like a very very mild misfire/rought idle when keeping the rpm's low/under 25mph while driving.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 12:31 PM   #34
GeorgeThe4th
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xDrive 35i M Sport

Garage List
Any update? Same exact issue on my X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 12:55 PM   #35
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Since my last post, I changed both VANOS solenoids and that did not fix it. The next thing I'm going to check are the fuel injectors with a borescope/inspection camera to see if they are leaking.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 07:18 PM   #36
sykriss
Registered
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 335i

Same issue here with pretty fresh coils/plugs. Misfire/rough idling for 10-15 seconds, only on warm starts, and it doesn't *always* do it, though it does most of the time. 152.5k on my N55, plugs/coils were replaced around 125k. Runs and drives like new aside from the warm start rough idle. Stock tune and nearly stock car aside from a VRSF chargepipe. I have also noticed that my fuel range is consistently higher than actual - the car will say I have 395 miles of range on a fill-up, then I end up getting about 345 actual. If the injectors were leaking and causing that, though, that would be almost two gallons of fuel they would have had to leak to cause that amount of range reduction - not to mention, the fuel in the oil would cause the car to run rich from the gasoline vapors entering the CCV system and getting re-introduced back into the intake tract. I wonder if the throttle body or ICV (if these cars have one) need to be cleaned, as on initial startup, the car runs with the throttle body before shortly transitioning to valvetronic for air mass control - cold starts and the higher RPMs/larger throttle body opening might mask it if that is indeed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:09 AM   #37
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

My estimated range vs actual range never was close but my MPG has decreased alot. It could be from the winter gas causing it so not taking this into consideration. One thing i recently noticed was my car doesn't cold start anymore (high rpm for first few mins).

To add more issues, lets say in the last 12 months, about a handful of times, I had an issue where it would crank, fail, crank again and it would start and throw drivetrain malfunction. It would throw a few codes at me...I don't think these are related to my primary issues tho. after about a minute or two, the drivetrain malfunction clears itself and the car drives perfectly.

101F01 - Trottle valve opening angle pressure ignore
1C0102 - engine oil pressure regulation
1C2002- oil pump
131501- vanos
120408- reduced power mode

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:58 PM   #38
f30jadyn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw f30 335i

Quote:
Okay, I think next step would be to investigate the injectors. Try techron if no change it's another issue. Can you describe what you feel when driving more in depth? Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

Crankcase Ventilation hose is very common to be broken and many other brittle plastic hoses.
Get. Ik this is an old thread, but did you have any luck. I believe I’m experiencing the same issue. If not pls let me know what the cure was! Thanks.
Appreciate 0