F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Aftermarket LED headlight kit
Extreme Powerhouse

06-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
ram.matthew
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Aftermarket LED headlight kit

Hello all! I am new to this forum but have searched tirelessly to try to get any reliable input on these LED headlight kits I have seen for sale on Amazon. Specifically I want to know if a) they're any good and if b) they'll cause an error light.

Any information on this is appreciated!

http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headlight...5GYWPY802BZQX5
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.matthew View Post
Hello all! I am new to this forum but have searched tirelessly to try to get any reliable input on these LED headlight kits I have seen for sale on Amazon. Specifically I want to know if a) they're any good and if b) they'll cause an error light.

Any information on this is appreciated!

http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headlight...5GYWPY802BZQX5
I'm using a LED light kit myself without any issues. Mine is a philips luxeon h7 kit with aluminum cooling belts, no fans. I had a guy code out the warm and cold checks, and since then I haven't had any errors. Even when I did have errors, they still worked just fine without flickering or going out.

I would not recommend these in the stock halogen lights otherwise you'll blind people. I have aftermarket projectors installed, and they work wonders. Everything is bright, clear, and road signs illuminate like never before.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarScaryFrosty View Post
I'm using a LED light kit myself without any issues. Mine is a philips luxeon h7 kit with aluminum cooling belts, no fans. I had a guy code out the warm and cold checks, and since then I haven't had any errors. Even when I did have errors, they still worked just fine without flickering or going out.

I would not recommend these in the stock halogen lights otherwise you'll blind people. I have aftermarket projectors installed, and they work wonders. Everything is bright, clear, and road signs illuminate like never before.
Have any issues with the belts getting hot? I'm looking at the lumileds myself, but I'm thinking that the belts would get to hot to place inside the assembly itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
ram.matthew
Rep

How does the color look compared with OEM xenon? Not interested in the blueish light you get w/ 6,000k and up.

Also, no good for OEM reflector housings? That would be a real bummer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.matthew View Post
How does the color look compared with OEM xenon? Not interested in the blueish light you get w/ 6,000k and up.

Also, no good for OEM reflector housings? That would be a real bummer.
With the OEM reflective housing, not only would you possibly blind oncoming traffics, but there is also no 'cover' in the front (in front of the light bulb) like other reflective housings... So if you put a set of LED light and you look directly into the housing you see the entire LED light... Not sure if you care, but it doesn't look at that good, IMHO.

After researching LED, HID on reflectors, I ended up putting in the money for a Projector with HID.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Some of the better made LED lights are designed to be used with halogen reflector housings, much like the H7rc HID bulb. If you have any glare from one of these better bulbs, it'll be minimal at best compared to throwing a HID in a reflector.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:51 AM   #7
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Do these LEDs have the Same brightness as halogen bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Are you running a set of LED on the EE or you did a custom project on your OEM headlights? I am curious because the EE has little space inside the casing and I am not sure if it will fit (and LOCK) the giant LED in place.... That said, needing to mount the ballast externally for my HID doesn't help all that much either :P
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #9
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrossVFX222 View Post
Are you running a set of LED on the EE or you did a custom project on your OEM headlights? I am curious because the EE has little space inside the casing and I am not sure if it will fit (and LOCK) the giant LED in place.... That said, needing to mount the ballast externally for my HID doesn't help all that much either :P
I'm using these inside the eagle eye headlights. They're trash with halogen bulbs, but with LEDS or a HID kit, you can see FOREVER. With the philips limiled kit with aliminum cooling belts, it all fits easily, even the ballasts fit inside. I've driven for 3+ hours straight without any issues so far.

The color is 6000k and seems pure white, not blue-ish like some other led and HID kits.

I absolutely love them and will try to take a picture at night if I can.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
I'm using these inside the eagle eye headlights. They're trash with halogen bulbs, but with LEDS or a HID kit, you can see FOREVER. With the philips limiled kit with aliminum cooling belts, it all fits easily, even the ballasts fit inside. I've driven for 3+ hours straight without any issues so far.

The color is 6000k and seems pure white, not blue-ish like some other led and HID kits.

Did you get any issues with error codes? I ordered some GP Thunders but interested in go with this route for the brighter and whiter appearance.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks... I am going to try to swap out for LED Later

Last edited by macrossVFX222; 06-05-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Did you get any issues with error codes? I ordered some GP Thunders but interested in go with this route for the brighter and whiter appearance.
I think he mentioned on the earlier thread he had a guy to code out warm and cold check..... I am very interested in try it out.

Last edited by macrossVFX222; 06-05-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Love to see some pics so I can compare with my current HID setup
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Go with HorizonLED's LEDs. You won't regret it. Here is a link to a small picture product review me and a couple of my friends sent to them.

For Pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bzldcrsop...YUjt4sTba?dl=0

For Videos:

06-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 BMW 328i

I guinea pigged and bought the Opt-7 kit. It installed very quickly and easily. They look great, almost a pure white light. The illumination looks great for the little night driving I have done, though I haven't had the chance to really get out at night and re-align and ensure it is set correctly. I can't speak for the canbus issues as I coded out my headlights already. Overall I am very pleased with them, but only time will tell if they last or not. Now I am contemplating buying the matching H8 bulb for the fog light.
      06-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #16
ram.matthew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbovill View Post
I guinea pigged and bought the Opt-7 kit. It installed very quickly and easily. They look great, almost a pure white light. The illumination looks great for the little night driving I have done, though I haven't had the chance to really get out at night and re-align and ensure it is set correctly. I can't speak for the canbus issues as I coded out my headlights already. Overall I am very pleased with them, but only time will tell if they last or not. Now I am contemplating buying the matching H8 bulb for the fog light.
How does the output look in comparison to true Xenon HID headlamps? Obviously these aren't projectors but does the light look like true HID or is it similar to an upgraded halogen bulb?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have only had the chance to turn it on and pull out of the driveway at night, lack of need to leave the house in the dark, but it looks like the output of an HID bulb. The color is very very white. It is spot on for 6000K against a 6000K HID bulb. I cannot really speak to the beam pattern and cut off until I can get some time to pull the car out of the car port in the dark and really take it to some of the less lit roads around my house. It does have a single source of light (well really two, but that is needed since the silicon it is attached to is not transparent), but it is very well controlled in the factory reflector.

I will add another post after I get to really test it out and properly align the headlight and inspect the cut off.
      06-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's my philips LED headlights with eagle eye projector lenses.

Sorry I don't have any pitch black night shots, but in the country side these things are the brightest lights I've ever driven with. Not a single person has flashed their high beams at me either. Turning on my brights would probably blind someone as it's practically the intensity of 100 suns.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry I don't have any pitch black night shots, but in the country side these things are the brightest lights I've ever driven with. Not a single person has flashed their high beams at me either. Turning on my brights would probably blind someone as it's practically the intensity of 100 suns.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Those look great, did you install the eagle eyes yourself or did you have them put in, and if you don't mind me asking what was the cost for the housings, I have been considering it.
      06-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #20
ram.matthew
Rep

Quote:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Agreed, this looks great. Do you have a picture with the headlamps off and the LED angle eyes turned on? Where did you buy and how much? I searched Google and eBay and didn't find anything with that name.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #21
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbovill View Post
Those look great, did you install the eagle eyes yourself or did you have them put in, and if you don't mind me asking what was the cost for the housings, I have been considering it.
I installed the headlights myself. It took roughly 5 hours to do, but nothing was honestly that difficult, just time consuming with all of the screws, nuts, and bolts you have to remove. Luckily most of them are the same exact part, so you don't have to worry about organizing or memorizing which screw goes where.

I got them off ebay for roughly $400 shipped here in the USA. You can find them easily if you search "BMW f30 led headlight eagle eyes". They come in chrome or black. I much prefer the chrome since it looks more OEM.

As for replacing the actual low/high beam bulbs themselves, those can be easily done at the time of the housing install, or afterwards. You can just remove the headlamp hatch from the wheel wells and swap the bulbs in minutes, it's just a tighter fit since the wheels are there.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #22
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Definitely considering it. They look great and since my car is Melbourne red yours is a perfect demonstration.