F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - F30 OEM Backup / reversing camera retrofit installed!
Extreme Powerhouse

03-22-2018, 04:36 AM   #441
dipansh29
Rep
Drives: 520d - 2016

Sorry off the topic question, but do somebody have download link to rheingold software to code after top view retrofit

One more question
- Is it possible to code only top view without side view. I dont want side view cameras. Its too much money for too less use
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #442
birte
Rep
Drives: 2012 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipansh29 View Post
Sorry off the topic question, but do somebody have download link to rheingold software to code after top view retrofit

One more question
- Is it possible to code only top view without side view. I dont want side view cameras. Its too much money for too less use
this is the most complicated way to go , why do you just get camera interface
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #443
omaryanoo
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012

Camera retro-fit install/upgrade in F30 (Complete video guide)

I'd always love to give back to these great forums so whenever I do a new thing I make a video to help people who are looking to do the same.

In this video I'm showing how I replaced the camera module in my 2012 3 series F30 to have the dynamic lines feature which was not working properly before. This is aftermarket camera module of eBay (link below) but they work as OEM. I's very easy and straightforward and it's definitely worth it to have rearview camera addition to your car. This one doesn't need re-wiring, coding and doesn't require PDC option either.

I also installed a complete NBT retrofit and a reverse camera before and a previous camera module which I upgrade in this video.

I bought the camera module from here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262689576523

In this video you can see also how to remove the dashboard and install NBT unit with all the re-wiring required if you want to do that retrofit as well.

Next, I'll install a front view camera which the same module supports and I'll leave a video for that once done so subscribe to the channel if you're interested.

Please let me know if you have any question or comments. I always like to help or hear what you think.

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV0XcuZ0-PI[/u2b]

Previous setup showing how to install the camera and do the wiring, etc.:

In this video I retrofitted a reverse (backup) rear view camera for my BMW F30 2012 3 series. I already have NBT retrofit in place and the camera module was installed in addition to that. This previous module I have in this video requires coding as you need to add 3AG option and do VO coding for your REM/PDC and NBT modules. After that you should be able to see the camera when you shift to reverse.

This job included the following and most are shown in the video:
- Replace boot (trunk) handle
- Install reversing camera handle
- remove boot lid trim and carpet
- remove boot side carpet
- route a wire (video cable) through the car from the boot to the dashboard
- Remove interior trim
- Remove dashboard
- Coding

Needed for the job:
- Trim removal tool
- Cloth tape for the loom
- Reverse Camera
- Camera module
- Quadlock harness or appropriate wiring
- T20 screwdriver
- BMW Car

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLyo1eGP2wU&t=2s[/u2b]
Appreciate 3
      04-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #444
rflagg
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Appreciate the effort, great video that will be helpful to many others wanting to retrofit a reverse camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #445
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richcranney View Post
Thanks Goggy, That helped a bit!

I've read through the whole thing now and I suppose this brings my next question.

After wiring and coding the camera, I get the option in the PDC for "Reverse Camera", but it doesn't actually activate the camera. No warnings or anything, just no camera picture.

So, this is what I did...

I've fitted my camera yesterday and coded it this morning, wow, what a job to get the wiring in and looped out of an F31 tailgate into the actual boot!

My wiring loom for the camera was from an F10 and the main difference I can see is that the wires that go to the head unit are White, Shield (transparent) and yellow. From everything I hear, Red is the norm, but I'm thinking my cable must for some reason have yellow instead of red.

I've placed the two CAN wires to the passenger footwell and used the BMW taps to clip into the same colour wires there.

Fuse wire placed into fuse box at the rear of the car in the boot.

Head unit wires -
White wire placed into 24
Transparent (shield) wire placed into 23
Yellow wire placed into 21

Coding done..

Added 3AG to car
Coded HU_HBT
Coded REM
Coded IST
Coded FEM_BODY

Have I missed something? Is there a way to tell what is the problem, faulty camera? Module? Wiring?

Thanks guys, appreciate any help.
Guys I would love it if I could get some help. I always do better with pictures or videos rather than barebones diagrams and words since often they mean nothing to me. This thread has a lot of information but difficult for me to parse. With that in mind I'll try to layout my issue and understanding here.

I have the backup camera module, the camera with the trunk handle, and the video cable and harness that I bought off ebay here:

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-F10-F07-F0...-/253175704290

I bought it during winter when I had some eBay bucks and some discount but only now am trying the retrofit due to weather. I wanted to install it this week (tomorrow if possible), but I just realized that like some of you I have the F10 set because the video cable, at 114" is way too short to go from the trunk to the front. I also noticed that instead of red, white and shield, I have white, yellow and clear, like in the post above:

As I have CIC I assume I will follow the instructions posted by roxxor on the first page of this thread, but using the same colour scheme as the post above by richcranney.

This ends where I'm clear on things. I know there are photos here and there but they're all closeups and I have no idea what I'm looking at, so here are my questions:

1) Where are people mounting the control Module in the trunk?

2) I see a short brown cable attached to the harness:

I'm assuming this is the eyelet (A5) that's supposed to go into ground support at Z10*6B. Where is this? Reading the PDF instructions for retrofitting it sounds like this is in the passenger footwell, but as you can see the cable is very short. Considering how it's attached to the harness it would be close to the module once plugged in but it obviously can't reach far, so where does it go?

3) Included in the harness kit was this bag:

I know the orange thing is for the fuse box, but is it the one that's in the trunk or the one that's in the engine bay?

I see 2 mini connectors and I know I'm supposed to attach the unstripped orange and green (A6 & A7) cables into there, but how do I do this and is it 1 cable to 1 connector? The PDF mentions connecting 'to the cable of the same colour'. I'm assuming this goes into some matching cable in the area at A173*8B, but where is this at the passenger footwell? What is the big grey thing for?

4) The last green cable with a silver tipped head I'm assuming is A8 that goes to rear fuse box Z2 at Z2*6B. Is this the rear fuse box in the trunk?

That's it for now from the physical install standpoint. I hope my questions are clear.. I really wish there was a video for this.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 02:59 AM   #446
macs
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: f31

Try to answer your questions:
1. I don't know, I've installed in OEM location, in the trunk there isn't a specific location you can put it where you prefer.

2. Doesn't matter where you connect ground on the vehicle, if you put the ECU in the trunk I suggest the most suitable, see picture attached

3. Grey connector is needed to connect the green cable with double spring leaf pin to the REAR fuse box in the trunk, pprobably you already have the fuse fitted so you don't need the one in the bag. Mini connector are needed to connect the two unstripped cables to two same color cables in the FEM. Each one connects the new cable to the correspondig color existing cable, so you need the two of them to be installed.

4. see answer 3

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kailec594.50
      05-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #447
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
Try to answer your questions:
1. I don't know, I've installed in OEM location, in the trunk there isn't a specific location you can put it where you prefer.

2. Doesn't matter where you connect ground on the vehicle, if you put the ECU in the trunk I suggest the most suitable, see picture attached

3. Grey connector is needed to connect the green cable with double spring leaf pin to the REAR fuse box in the trunk, pprobably you already have the fuse fitted so you don't need the one in the bag. Mini connector are needed to connect the two unstripped cables to two same color cables in the FEM. Each one connects the new cable to the correspondig color existing cable, so you need the two of them to be installed.

4. see answer 3

Hope this helps
Thanks! This helps! I'll take a look.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 05:17 AM   #448
jozza66
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335dx

Hi, Just added two "pigtail" leads to the FEM module pins 51 & 52 as mine were empty. Before I connect this to the CAN Hi/Lo lleads on the harness, do I need to twist the two new leads to match the CAN cables - or does it not matter? Thanks. John
Current car: F31 335d - NBT EVO ID6 retrofit, 3AG retrofit, Coded EBT, Deleted RFTs!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #449
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

To keep it tidy and reduce signal issues I did
      06-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #450
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Anyone here upgrade to an NBT EVO and find their NBT rearview isn't working? Tried coding the TRSVC with a newer build date as well as disabling the watchdog in the EVO to no avail. It works when I immediately start the car and go into reverse but once the disclaimer pops up its gone and clicking the PDC button doesn't get it to pop back up.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:52 AM   #451
jozza66
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335dx

Another sucessful retro fit here! Thanks to all contributors for the invaluable help contained in this mammoth thread! Also the customary shout to shawnsheridan for his support in the coding software
Current car: F31 335d - NBT EVO ID6 retrofit, 3AG retrofit, Coded EBT, Deleted RFTs!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #452
Syss
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F33 435d xDrive

Hi guys! New member here, proud owner of a F33 435d since a few days (love it so far!)

I'm only missing the rear view camera... I've read the thread and it seems doable, but I get various answers from different sources regarding the convertible. I have a 2015, built in February, can anyone tell if it is possible to retrofit the camera for this car?

I know everything is possible, but I don't want to cut any cables or anything, just be able to use standard products.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #453
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
Anyone here upgrade to an NBT EVO and find their NBT rearview isn't working? Tried coding the TRSVC with a newer build date as well as disabling the watchdog in the EVO to no avail. It works when I immediately start the car and go into reverse but once the disclaimer pops up its gone and clicking the PDC button doesn't get it to pop back up.
Maybe code icm?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #454
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syss View Post
Hi guys! New member here, proud owner of a F33 435d since a few days (love it so far!)

I'm only missing the rear view camera... I've read the thread and it seems doable, but I get various answers from different sources regarding the convertible. I have a 2015, built in February, can anyone tell if it is possible to retrofit the camera for this car?

I know everything is possible, but I don't want to cut any cables or anything, just be able to use standard products.

I don’t see why not.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #455
agilbert314
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive Sport 2013

Hi,
Has anyone used the *repair cable for rear view camera* (61119312258) to connect the camera to the module?
If so, is the cable long enough to locate the module into the original location?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #456
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Does anybody know whether or not the wiring harness is available on it's own?

I made an ebay purchase that I thought included the harness and unfortunately I was wrong. I do have the long camera cable and a camera. Now I need to source the wiring harness and the control module.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #457
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I believe that I solved the mystery of the "short/F10 cable"...

I purchased the below item on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F80-F30...72.m2749.l2649

...it isn't exactly what I thought it was, but it wasn't a terrible purchase overall.

Anyway, as one of the listing suggests, this was pulled from an early F30 build. It is effectively a reversing camera "kit" which includes the trunk latch (w/camera), trunk-lid wiring harness & HSD cable. As it turns out, on a factory build, the car is built with the short, F10 cable AND a ~20' HSD cable.

The short cable is part of the deck-lid wiring harness and ends at the harness connector, which ends at the rear power distribution block. At that point, the short cable plugs into the long cable and to the front of the car it goes...

No huge revelation there, but it explains why an F30 retrofit comes with a too-short cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #458
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
Maybe code icm?
I figured it out. Because the car is pre LCI it has a generation 1 PMA module, but the EVO build date is default coded to gen 2. Changed the following in the EVO and it's all good now:

MACRO_PMA_EINPARKEN (gen 1)
PDC_FLANKENSCHUTZ (not active)
AUTO_PDC (not active)
COMMUNICATION_PARKMASTER (gen 1)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #459
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Hey guys, going to finally tackle this in the coming week. Just had additional questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

I'm going to mount my control module in the trunk but was wondering where everyone put theirs? I was looking at roxxor's post as a guideline but not 100% sure how to mount it there.

His photo shows the grounding point for the control module, but reading what he wrote I think you ground this brown wire instead?

When mounting in the trunk, do I still need the black plastic mounting bracket as well?

There are two end to the metal casing:

Do I have to screw both ends in somewhere to ground it, or is the brown cable enough? The area where he drew a rectangle around there's an orange box with a screw, is that where you screwed down the control module down to?

My long black HSD cable had a ground mount as well, where is a good place to ground the cable?

Is this connector for if I'm installing the OEM way, and plugging into the FEM module?

Lastly, are these the wires mentioned tapping for the iDrive controller?

Any help is appreciated! [
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #460
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The ground loop if you are putting the module in the boot can go to the ground point on the right rear wing above the battery.

The loop built into the wire from the camera can be easily attached to one of the many pins on the car chassis as well. To give extra ground and shield

07-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #461
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
The ground loop if you are putting the module in the boot can go to the ground point on the right rear wing above the battery.

The loop built into the wire from the camera can be easily attached to one of the many pins on the car chassis as well. To give extra ground and shield

Thanks for the help! So the higher circled area would be the brown wire, and the lower one would be the module itself? Just the one end of the module needs to be secured right? And I can just attach it just like that without the plastic enclosure?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #462
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Spot on the left upper is for the brown earth and the lower right was the eylet on the camera cable that went from control unit to the boot handle

In mycase the loom I got was for a 5 series so they unit sits in boot on those not under dash so the camera cable was short. Hence I placed my module there. Rest was just case of shortening some cables

I mounted mine on the bulkehad as two pins where exactly in right place for a nylon nut and a lock nut