F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Track Mods that will be family friendly
ARMA SPEED

01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Track Mods that will be family friendly

I'm sure there are many track folks that are willing to sacrifice several comforts to have their car track ready. And there are only a few people who actually track while also maintaining their track car as a family car. Any advise for someone who falls in the later category? I'm specifically looking for advise on mistakes NOT to make. For example: "You don't need to replace the roll bars. Stock one is fine."

At the moment, I'm really trying to dial down the suspension to make it track and family friendly. Right now, it is not so family friendly.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport, RWD

You say your current suspension is not so family friendly. What is your set up now? I have heard nothing but great things about AST coilovers. Read the reviews from other forums, including Subaru, VW, and BMW. I have not read one bad one; many give overwhelming praise for being very competent on track and pretty street friendly. You can also choose your specific spring rates. Unfortunately, they don't have any for the F30--yet. I'm sure it is only a matter of time.

What is your stock suspension? I have the Sport Line. It feels pretty soft to me but I have not pushed it yet. Assuming camber plates are out now or will be out soon, you could just go with camber plates and stiffer front bar. Your stock ride should not be altered much with that set up but should be noticeably more competent on track. I am currious if any one has experience on the F30 with either camber plates or a front sway.
Midwestern Council TT Champion, BS, ‘17 BRZ, ‘19
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
ƒ°
Rep

I've gone through a series of suspension mods since buying the car. First I had H&R Sport Springs. When the KW V2s came out, I bought a set.... Long story, but I got rid of those. Now I'm on CKS coilovers. They are by far the best so far, but I'm still tinkering with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How did your KW V2s ride on the street v. track? Some people really like them. Those who disliked them have said they are too stiff on the street, not great on the track, or both. Just currious what you thought of them?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
How did your KW V2s ride on the street v. track? Some people really like them. Those who disliked them have said they are too stiff on the street, not great on the track, or both. Just currious what you thought of them?
I didn't track the KWs. But my experience on the street was no good. I will PM you more details because I don't want to get into it here.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
shivj
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Which tires are you running? Stickier rubber will make a difference on the track and won't affect daily drivability too much. Or you could of course have a set of race wheels/tires
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

ive heard the kw2's are more rough than KW3's for the street
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Most people just start throwing parts at a car to make it "faster" on the track. But really you need a plan - what specifically are you trying to change about how the car performs on the track? Tailor your parts to achieving your plan. Plus it is critical to ask yourself this basic question before modifying your car - are you getting 100% out of the car, 100% of the time? If somebody else could get into your car and go faster, don't spend a penny on it. Focus your mod dollars on upgrading the driver.

IMHO the stock suspension is basically great, except for the lack of front camber. Body roll is well controlled, it is not rolling onto the bump stops, it is pretty neutral and very predictable. Plus the street ride quality is excellent!

Personally if I was in your situation I would install the factory Performance Suspension package, keeping the original diameter front sway bar and installing the slightly larger rear M Sport sway bar. Unless you are racing your car competitively there is no reason to destroy your street comfort for an occasional track day. My bet is the BMW Performance suspension package is probably a great compromise and will be far more comfortable than any coil over setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Most people just start throwing parts at a car to make it "faster" on the track. But really you need a plan - what specifically are you trying to change about how the car performs on the track? Tailor your parts to achieving your plan. Plus it is critical to ask yourself this basic question before modifying your car - are you getting 100% out of the car, 100% of the time? If somebody else could get into your car and go faster, don't spend a penny on it. Focus your mod dollars on upgrading the driver.

IMHO the stock suspension is basically great, except for the lack of front camber. Body roll is well controlled, it is not rolling onto the bump stops, it is pretty neutral and very predictable. Plus the street ride quality is excellent!

Personally if I was in your situation I would install the factory Performance Suspension package, keeping the original diameter front sway bar and installing the slightly larger rear M Sport sway bar. Unless you are racing your car competitively there is no reason to destroy your street comfort for an occasional track day. My bet is the BMW Performance suspension package is probably a great compromise and will be far more comfortable than any coil over setup.
Great post. I have not actually tracked my car yet. However, I eventually will. If I was to use "Are you getting 100% out of your car 100% of the time" reasoning, then I wouldn't even be able to justify having a 335i. I should've gotten a used Miata, FRS, or a Ford Focus even.

The first and most important thing I'm trying to achieve is an optimal suspension set up for occasional track use. I agree that the stock set up is probably better performing than out of box solutions. However, I do believe that a decent aftermarket kit can be fine tuned to reach a "happy" medium. After all, suspension is all about compromise right? I'm definitely not willing to go 100% in any direction. That's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

It actually is quite a perfect compromise over the stock. I intend to track it in the Spring, but so far on the street it's been nice.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Quote:
M
Thats what i have...It's really a great suspension kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number
Quote:

Great post. I have not actually tracked my car yet. However, I eventually will. If I was to use "Are you getting 100% out of your car 100% of the time" reasoning, then I wouldn't even be able to justify having a 335i. I should've gotten a used Miata, FRS, or a Ford Focus even.

The first and most important thing I'm trying to achieve is an optimal suspension set up for occasional track use. I agree that the stock set up is probably better performing than out of box solutions. However, I do believe that a decent aftermarket kit can be fine tuned to reach a "happy" medium. After all, suspension is all about compromise right? I'm definitely not willing to go 100% in any direction. That's for sure.
How would you know what setup you would want without even tracking it yet? Or will you be dialing it in while at the track? I would start with driver mod but that may end up not too family friendly as well lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For those considering coilovers for very good street and track performance, I understand double digressive shocks are excellent. AST and Moton use this technology on many of their coilover set ups, which get great reviews. I don't believe either company has offered their coilovers for the F30--yet. I do think they will be offered sooner, rather than later, if enough people request them
Appreciate 0