F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How do you cope with it?
GetBMWParts

01-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #67
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
The answer to how one can cope with being sad is very simple:

Strengthen your physical being; your body. Lift weights. Push yourself in what you can achieve, physically. Eat the optimal kinds of foods to build physical strength. Get the optimal amount of sleep, every single night.

Why?

When the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. A strong body will be the greatest, most effective antidepressant you will ever find. I promise.
This is so true. I used to be pretty athletic up until I hit about 40. Then I found it too easy to make excuses about being too busy to work out. Then I herniated a disc in my back from a motorcycle mishap. Blah, blah, blah. Excuses excuses. Well this December my wife talked me into joining her gym and going with her to spin classes, cardio / weight circuit training, even yoga. My mood is 100% improved. I feel fantastic and so much less in the dumps than I normally am in winter. Not sure if its the exercise or just standing in the back of the class looking out over a sea of tight asses in yoga pants, but whatever it is it's working!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster;

Not sure if its the exercise or just standing in the back of the class looking out over a sea of tight asses in yoga pants, but whatever it is it's working!

It's the tight asses. I played competitive soccer and lifted weights until i got hurt and had kids. Now I'm 39! i go to FX45 with my wife during my lunch hour for a quick workout and look at rear burger that is literally 2ft in front of my face at times.
To perhaps make it slightly more scientific and slightly less pervy [you damn oldies!] when you see an attractive woman looking at you when you're going for a big lift, or catch a few smiles from women at SoulCycle or whatever it is you kids go to these days, it kick starts / ramps up your natural biological instincts. This then causes a chemical reaction within your body, flooding your body with testosterone, endorphins, etc. Not only does this give you natural, subconscious incentive to continue going back and hitting the weights / bike harder than before, but it also gets you more in touch with your body.

Human beings were never intended to work a 9-5 desk / computer job, then go home and sit on the couch and watch tv, and then hit the sack until the next day, and the next 9-5. We're as physical specimens as we are mental. We NEED physical activity for our bodies to perform optimally. We NEED to tap into that biological drive, in the physical sense, to push us to become better beings.

Set some crazy goals for yourself, OP, and get hellbent on achieving them. My first ever goal, when I decided I wanted to quit being a depressed wuss, was to pack on 25# of muscle in the first year of lifting. What happened when I achieved that? I set a new goal, and a new goal, etc. But what was I doing in the eyes of others? Flipping my life from looking like a skinny, depressed, shy, quiet, weird kid with 3 total friends to a swole, emotionally stable, outgoing, strong, not as weird man with endless friends.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      01-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #68
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
The answer to how one can cope with being sad is very simple:

Strengthen your physical being; your body. Lift weights. Push yourself in what you can achieve, physically. Eat the optimal kinds of foods to build physical strength. Get the optimal amount of sleep, every single night.

Why?

When the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. A strong body will be the greatest, most effective antidepressant you will ever find. I promise.
This is so true. I used to be pretty athletic up until I hit about 40. Then I found it too easy to make excuses about being too busy to work out. Then I herniated a disc in my back from a motorcycle mishap. Blah, blah, blah. Excuses excuses. Well this December my wife talked me into joining her gym and going with her to spin classes, cardio / weight circuit training, even yoga. My mood is 100% improved. I feel fantastic and so much less in the dumps than I normally am in winter. Not sure if its the exercise or just standing in the back of the class looking out over a sea of tight asses in yoga pants, but whatever it is it's working!
It's the yoga pants ....and physical well-being helps that mental wellness
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11456.00
      01-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #69
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Stay busy. Absolutely busy.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:21 PM   #70
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I can relate. Being a type A personality, for me it is stress. Stress has a major impact on me to the point where I get down, don't like to interact with others, and it hurts my sleep habits. This makes my mood poor and everything else goes downhill. College was a very rough time for me. I commuted, didn't really party or have a ton of friends at school, and worked full-time. It was life changing since I had a ton of friends in high school and was always busy doing something fun. The stress got so bottled up inside that I had health problems. Migraines (which I still have occasionally due to my job), panic attacks, etc. Nothing more strange than being a college student walking to class and suddenly you can't remember where the hell you are because you are having a panic attack.

At that point I realized that thinking is bad. Driving alone, walking to class alone, etc, were all times I could do nothing but think about all the stressful things in my life. I needed an outlet, and comedy was and still is my outlet, along with working out. Physical activity is a great way to get out the bottled up stuff inside.

To me, there is no greater feeling than making a bunch of people laugh. It is a selfless feeling, and makes you forget most stressful and damaging thoughts. Those times that you feel sad, try to occupy them with something else to take your mind off the sad feeling.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      02-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #71
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Been keeping myself busy lately, moving into my new house sometime this weekend just cleaning up the major mess P/O left behind.
      02-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #72
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

When going through my divorce, felt like things were falling apart... what kept my chin up we're talking to friends and just trying not to be alone... and my dog.

Having a someone in the same home that shows you constant affection, super excited to see you just because you woke up in the morning, etc. will do wonders for your mental health.
      02-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #73
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
When going through my divorce, felt like things were falling apart... what kept my chin up we're talking to friends and just trying not to be alone... and my dog.

Having a someone in the same home that shows you constant affection, super excited to see you just because you woke up in the morning, etc. will do wonders for your mental health.
Divorce is a big bummer. At least for me, I didn’t have any intention of divorce when I married and next thing I know I’m 20 years into a life sucking, soul draining arrangement. All the people I thought were my friends evaporated. And being a man, you get the short stick with everything. So after about three months of coming home to an empty apartment, I decided I wasn’t going to let this affect me and started living how I wanted to live again. It was amazing because once I shifted my outlook and paradigm, I actually started having fun, could focus on work performance, taking care of myself and explore new interests.

It wasn’t long that I found a new woman, despite not looking, who actually was much more suited to one another. We got married shortly after I divorced and have been happily married nine years. I’m sure people wondered what was going on but IDGAF because they sure didn’t about me. Once I realized the reality, I could move on.

Dogs are awesome too. They are loyal, always happy to see you, playful and love you for you and not your bank account.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #74
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Quote:

Divorce is a big bummer. At least for me, I didn’t have any intention of divorce when I married and next thing I know I’m 20 years into a life sucking, soul draining arrangement. All the people I thought were my friends evaporated. And being a man, you get the short stick with everything. So after about three months of coming home to an empty apartment, I decided I wasn’t going to let this affect me and started living how I wanted to live again. It was amazing because once I shifted my outlook and paradigm, I actually started having fun, could focus on work performance, taking care of myself and explore new interests.

It wasn’t long that I found a new woman, despite not looking, who actually was much more suited to one another. We got married shortly after I divorced and have been happily married nine years. I’m sure people wondered what was going on but IDGAF because they sure didn’t about me. Once I realized the reality, I could move on.

Dogs are awesome too. They are loyal, always happy to see you, playful and love you for you and not your bank account.
That's awesome man! I've been trying to meet the right person, but I'm running into super self absorbed ppl... search continues!
      02-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #75
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
That's awesome man! I've been trying to meet the right person, but I'm running into super self absorbed ppl... search continues!
Don’t worry too much about that. Enjoy the fact that you have freedom and the ability to earn and save money to do with what you please.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #76
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Rub one out? :
      02-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #77
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Rub one out? :
Excellent!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #78
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

You're not alone man.

It's hard to think about it, but everything will be ok. I was severely depressed about a year ago (still dealing with symptoms) and I reached out for help. I knew I couldn't do it alone.

Also depending on where you live, weed helps. I have a medicinal prescription myself. For me it helps. Turns my brain off. (you have no idea how helpful that can be) Look into it. I might not be a pro, but I know what works for me. I have therapy and weed.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      02-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #79
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
You're not alone man.

It's hard to think about it, but everything will be ok. I was severely depressed about a year ago (still dealing with symptoms) and I reached out for help. I knew I couldn't do it alone.

Also depending on where you live, weed helps. I have a medicinal prescription myself. For me it helps. Turns my brain off. (you have no idea how helpful that can be) Look into it. I might not be a pro, but I know what works for me. I have therapy and weed.
helps you sleep better too
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #80
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
You're not alone man.

i dont do the devils lettuce jk, its not my thing not even gonna try again
      02-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #81
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
i dont do the devils lettuce jk, its not my thing not even gonna try again
oh i see, youre more of a powder guy (sniff sniff)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #82
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
oh i see, youre more of a powder guy (sniff sniff)
i inject the lettuce into my veins