F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Looking for better sound quality
Extreme Powerhouse

04-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
X6M4DeeMac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F86 X6M Donington Grey

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Looking for better sound quality

Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my existing Hifi system in my F30. I purchased the Stage 1 and XD600/6 a couple years back and it was a significant upgrade over the stock setup. After having it for awhile now I'm looking to get a little more quality out of the system. Should I pair a DSP with the JL or ditch the JL for a PP82DSP system? One thing I did notice with the JL/BAV Stage 1 setup was I couldn't turn the gain up at all. If I did adjust it a bit and turn up the volume it seemed like the speakers couldn't handle the power. Would the PP82DSP play nice with the stage 1 if I went that route?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Is the main issue with your current system some kind of distortion problem at higher volumes? When you crank it up and hear whatever issues that you are hearing - is it at an uncomfortably loud volume level or are the problems happening at a volume where you would not be expecting distortion issues?

There are many things that can be wrong so I can't guess from afar but I would suspect something to do with the gain structure and how you have the JL connected to the original signal source.

Most aftermarket speakers for BMW's should be capable of handling an amount of power that would make it uncomfortable to listen to without the speakers themselves being used outside of their power handling capabilities. That's why I would suspect the signal being fed into your speakers as the issue and likely not the speakers themselves. I may be wrong though.

I'm personally a huge proponent of DSP as even with six figure high end home stereo systems I rarely got to hear a fully satisfying sound signature long term. But as soon as I get to tune a lets say 20,000$ pair of speakers with a state of the art stereo DSP processor it's game on for so called "listening parties". Of course there are exceptions to every rule but IMHO a skillfully used DSP makes life so much better these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
X6M4DeeMac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F86 X6M Donington Grey

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej@BimmerTech View Post
Is the main issue with your current system some kind of distortion problem at higher volumes? When you crank it up and hear whatever issues that you are hearing - is it at an uncomfortably loud volume level or are the problems happening at a volume where you would not be expecting distortion issues?

There are many things that can be wrong so I can't guess from afar but I would suspect something to do with the gain structure and how you have the JL connected to the original signal source.

Most aftermarket speakers for BMW's should be capable of handling an amount of power that would make it uncomfortable to listen to without the speakers themselves being used outside of their power handling capabilities. That's why I would suspect the signal being fed into your speakers as the issue and likely not the speakers themselves. I may be wrong though.

I'm personally a huge proponent of DSP as even with six figure high end home stereo systems I rarely got to hear a fully satisfying sound signature long term. But as soon as I get to tune a lets say 20,000$ pair of speakers with a state of the art stereo DSP processor it's game on for so called "listening parties". Of course there are exceptions to every rule but IMHO a skillfully used DSP makes life so much better these days.
Maciej for the most part the setup is good but I do remembering smelling burnt wire and such when I turned up the volume near 3/4 max, so I had to adjust the gain on the JL. I guess I'm used to swapping the HU and speakers out, pair it with a good amp and subs, get it dialed in and you can hear me coming with clear vocals. As of right now I don't have that. Still getting used to having the audio system all wrap up in the car computer system (my Dodge Charger was the same way), I had to spend some money to get that car audio right.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

replace all speakers with bavsound, there plenty of threads with bavsound and jlxd600 and people say its great.
      04-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Maciej@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemac335i View Post
Maciej for the most part the setup is good but I do remembering smelling burnt wire and such when I turned up the volume near 3/4 max, so I had to adjust the gain on the JL. I guess I'm used to swapping the HU and speakers out, pair it with a good amp and subs, get it dialed in and you can hear me coming with clear vocals. As of right now I don't have that. Still getting used to having the audio system all wrap up in the car computer system (my Dodge Charger was the same way), I had to spend some money to get that car audio right.
Something was clearly setup incorrectly if you got to smell burning cables or speakers... It seems offering valuable advice from afar will be impossible in such a case as there are too many variables in play.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
hkukbimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 420iA Coupe

Does upgrading 4 speakers in a 2015 420iA Coupe make a difference? What are the brands you would recommend? The current standard sound is awful, but i'm using bluetooth, if that could be it? I have no idea what the difference is between hifi, stereo etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I will be posting a full install and review of the new Bimmertech Alpha One speaker upgrades into my F32, hopefully in about two weeks.

I have to say from speaker upgrades, moving from even the "premium" HK speakers, the difference can be absolutely dramatic! I have upgrade speakers many times, and my F32 will be the 5th car I have done so, and its been absolutely worth it.

I cannot wait to have the Alpha One system in my car, and share the info here. Granted, without expensive mics and systems (which I dont have) I wont have a quantifiable way of showing before and after. My camera mic just wont do any of it justice.. plus the human ear is FAR more sensitive. I will say my current HK speakers sound really muddy and lack clarity on clean vocals across all music types.

I sit back in my partner's X5 upgrade post her speaker upgrade, and the difference is just UNREAL, and am eager to get that back in my F32.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I will be posting a full install and review of the new Bimmertech Alpha One speaker upgrades into my F32, hopefully in about two weeks.

I have to say from speaker upgrades, moving from even the "premium" HK speakers, the difference can be absolutely dramatic! I have upgrade speakers many times, and my F32 will be the 5th car I have done so, and its been absolutely worth it.

I cannot wait to have the Alpha One system in my car, and share the info here. Granted, without expensive mics and systems (which I dont have) I wont have a quantifiable way of showing before and after. My camera mic just wont do any of it justice.. plus the human ear is FAR more sensitive. I will say my current HK speakers sound really muddy and lack clarity on clean vocals across all music types.

I sit back in my partner's X5 upgrade post her speaker upgrade, and the difference is just UNREAL, and am eager to get that back in my F32.
Do you hear YANNY or LAUREL?

No incorrect answer

https://t.co/jvHhCbMc8I
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Having went through an upgrade with Musicar Northwest, I can say a DSP is definitely worth it. I got the Helix P Six and I can set a soundstage of my choosing and adjust frequency response where I want them in each speaker. My only wish is I could get more of a lower frequency out of the underseat subs. The Jehnert subs I upgraded to are great for some bass but you're not getting a good response to anything lower than 40 but that's the box design it is in, which limits it's abilities in that range. I'm in the process of building a box to go into the space under the cargo area under my wagon to fill that hopefully fill that gap and then I'll move the underseat subs to a slightly higher frequency to prevent the side skirts from rattling. The DSP has RCA outputs to feed another amp along with being able to fully customize it along with the rest of the speakers. So I'll be using that to control my sub on a 500.1 amp from CT Sounds.

Last edited by shiftdnb; 05-15-2018 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0