F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Retro fit heads up display?
ARMA SPEED

04-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Retro fit heads up display?

One of the few extras my 328gt does not have is the heads up display - somebody had ordered it with pretty much every extra and also had £900 of valeting undertaken...... And then couldn't get finance...... Their loss was my gain🤑

I enquired of the dealer whether the heads up unit was available as retro fit and was told it needed a different dash board and was a massive job. I have noticed that bmw kits are now popping up for sale....... Does anyone know how easy/hard/impossible it is to install? Looking at the pictures it looks like it may not be that difficult? Maybe a software change?

Any knowledge welcome, thank you👍
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-series...813?nav=SEARCH
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
icecold601
BMW Knight
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
One of the few extras my 328gt does not have is the heads up display - somebody had ordered it with pretty much every extra and also had £900 of valeting undertaken...... And then couldn't get finance...... Their loss was my gain🤑

I enquired of the dealer whether the heads up unit was available as retro fit and was told it needed a different dash board and was a massive job. I have noticed that bmw kits are now popping up for sale....... Does anyone know how easy/hard/impossible it is to install? Looking at the pictures it looks like it may not be that difficult? Maybe a software change?

Any knowledge welcome, thank you👍
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-series...813?nav=SEARCH
Wow, this is really interesting. I have HUD in my 7 and didn't realise how much I would miss it in my GT. This looks like a problem solver. I agree, it doesn't look massively difficult to install although I'm no expert. I will read into it and post back for sure. Good find, my friend. Regarding retrofitting the factory HUD system, if I recall correctly it requires disassembly of the steering column amongst other things and looks pretty intensive and very expensive when you factor in parts and labour. This retrofit kit is a game changer in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
was told it needed a different dash board and was a massive job.
AFAIK it requires a different windshield as well. The linked unit uses a dash mounted screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive GT

If you haven't considered other options, I'd suggest you take a look at

(a) Garmin HUD+ (relatively poor choice, but ok for a make-do option)

.. and better still..
(b) Navdy

On the looks of it, Navdy looks so cool, I am considering it installing it in replacement for the in-built HUD I already have.. I am waiting for it to start selling though.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The Navdy is innovative and interesting....... But to be honest the connectivity with text messages and similar scares the crap out of me...... How distracting is that? Already enough idiots on the road that don't need to be distracted even more......
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

I remember reading this very good post a while ago. Here is the post with loads of pics - you will also find there a link to the instructions PDF:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1063158

Last edited by x-m4n; 04-28-2016 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushkr View Post
If you haven't considered other options, I'd suggest you take a look at

(a) Garmin HUD+ (relatively poor choice, but ok for a make-do option)

.. and better still..
(b) Navdy

On the looks of it, Navdy looks so cool, I am considering it installing it in replacement for the in-built HUD I already have.. I am waiting for it to start selling though.
For what it's worth, I have hard time trusting Navdy. The product went on pre-order in Q3 2014 and it still has not launched yet. I've heard that many people have pre-ordered, later changed their minds, and never got their money back.

In Q4 2014 I almost pre-ordered Navy and thank god I didn't do it...
      04-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
For what it's worth, I have hard time trusting Navdy. The product went on pre-order in Q3 2014 and it still has not launched yet. I've heard that many people have pre-ordered, later changed their minds, and never got their money back.

In Q4 2014 I almost pre-ordered Navy and thank god I didn't do it...
I agree with what you said about the delay. However, I cannot read anything about anyone having problems related to cancellation of an order. They clearly specify that you will get a full refund, should you cancel your order prior to delivery. You could easily dispute your credit card transaction is that was not the case. (I know of one person who ordered, but he is sticking with his order.)

There price is steep and concerns about texting are genuine. But if you know how to take care of yourself, this is a cool product. Especially with gesture control et al. Stuff of the BMW 7-series.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
I remember reading this very good post a while ago. Here is a very good post with loads of pics - you will also find there a link to the instructions PDF:

Nice one 👍 - I'll have a good read Of this on a decent sized screen when I get home! The unit is available from independent retailers for a lot Less than bmw want So hopefully it is a diy job...........
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #10
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well my local main dealer has quoted £400 including parts, labour and vat to install one of these into my 328gt....... less than I was expecting so double checking the price of the unit itself is included before booking.....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
I remember reading this very good post a while ago. Here is the post with loads of pics - you will also find there a link to the instructions PDF:
Looking through that everything it displays is what's already on my dash, other than speed, and I can get that on my dash too if I want to bother coding it. I'd consider it for a hundred bucks or so, but not for four hundred.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Looking through that everything it displays is what's already on my dash, other than speed, and I can get that on my dash too if I want to bother coding it. I'd consider it for a hundred bucks or so, but not for four hundred.
And your point is
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And your point is
It's not worth the expense for what you get.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's not worth the expense for what you get.
In your opinion....... if you don't see the benefit of heads up then it is pointless. If you like heads up it has value.

Tell us more about 'coding'... What toys can be brought out with software changes?
Appreciate 0