F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Unreliable Bluetooth iphone (iOS 8)
ARMA SPEED

06-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
Rozza
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Unreliable Bluetooth iphone (iOS 8)

I have a 2013 328i with pro Nav and extended BT. My friend has a new 428GC,
Both our cars have the latest Bluetooth updates installed.
We both have the same issue where the Bluetooth becomes disconnected after making 2 or 3 calls. Sometimes the connection can be restored by switching Bluetooth off and on in Idrive, other times the ignition must be switched off.
The local dealer says there is no problem with either car. I know it seems trivial but with a long commute, lots of phone calls and large fines for using a handheld phone it is a major inconvenience.
Has anyone else got this problem and more importantly does anyone have a solution I can point out to the dealer before the warranty expires?

Cheers

rozza
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
erroberts1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue F36 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozza View Post
We both have the same issue where the Bluetooth becomes disconnected after making 2 or 3 calls. Sometimes the connection can be restored by switching Bluetooth off and on in Idrive, other times the ignition must be switched off.
The local dealer says there is no problem with either car. I know it seems trivial but with a long commute, lots of phone calls and large fines for using a handheld phone it is a major inconvenience.
Has anyone else got this problem and more importantly does anyone have a solution I can point out to the dealer before the warranty expires?

Cheers

rozza
This is a compatibility issue between iOS8 and iDrive. There's nothing wrong with your car. I believe BMW has recently fixed all stability or compatibility issues with iOS7, so there's that. The primary issue is that the device update cycle is light years faster than any in-car tech (partially necessitating Car Play, Android Auto, etc.) so automakers are usually lagging.

Other members may have some more color on this but the long and short of it is welcome to the club.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I would assume that the both of you deleted the iPhone from your iDrive and the iDrive from your iPhone and re-pair after the iDrive Bluetooth updates, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozza View Post

Cheers

rozza
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
Rozza
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I would assume that the both of you deleted the iPhone from your iDrive and the iDrive from your iPhone and re-pair after the iDrive Bluetooth updates, right?
Yeah have done that.
Sorry I think the title is probably a little misleading. The problem existed on earlier versions of iOS as well.

I can not 100% reproduce it but it almost always happens after 2 or 3 consecutive calls. I suspect for a lot of people it is a non issue but we both have long commutes and make lots of calls.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Reset network settings on your iPhone, and repair the device through iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
I had one occasion where the BT connection was lost. But if you have it happen a lot, the next step is to restore your phone to factory settings (be sure to back it up right before the restore; then you can restore it to your last back up and you won't lose any data). Then delete it from the car and re-pair. If there's a bug in your phone's software, this might take care of it.
Appreciate 0