F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320xdrive EB Msport Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

11-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Hey Pops, yeah I saw a fellow EB Msport come in as I was going out, take it that was you. Car is great, hope you weren't going back for anything major. How did you find Cooper Reading? A question for you, my salesman said now they don't do service books but it is all digitalised, did you get one from them? Not sure if this is just with service pack.
      11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
Yeah I did try the box for a test drive. BMW box is massively better, changes are seamless and there is seemingly always a gear ready (almost dct like). I am the most die hard manual fan but I would not go back to a clutch.
The thing that annoys the crap out of me with an auto is that last few mph when stopping and the auto is trying to drive you on. The BMW doesn't do that, which is brilliant. Last time I had an auto I used to slip it into neutral every time I came to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hey Pops, yeah I saw a fellow EB Msport come in as I was going out, take it that was you. Car is great, hope you weren't going back for anything major. How did you find Cooper Reading? A question for you, my salesman said now they don't do service books but it is all digitalised, did you get one from them? Not sure if this is just with service pack.
No, no more service books....many manufacturers have adopted this now. BMW have a pay phone service to check up on service history....I kid you not......Ker-ch-ch-ching!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
UK_
Captain
Rep

Cheers Nis, I used to like being robbed to collect those service stamps, a bit like a really
expensive Nandos loyalty card minus the free chicken. I think the new car thing has gone to my head - sleep now!
      11-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

RB .. The HUD looks amazing....and a very nicely spec'd hottie....enjoy matey..

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
UK_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30FAN View Post

RB .. The HUD looks amazing....and a very nicely spec'd hottie....enjoy matey..
Thanks mate, you'll be able to enjoy it soon too I hope.
      11-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport EBII

Quote:
Not sure about the service book, I don't have the service pack but this would be dealt with by lease company so not sure.
Nothing Major just went in to see if they had any Key Pouches!

I bought mine through Berry Heathrow but Cooper is my local branch and down the road from work...nice to see another EB M Sport - lovely looking car if I must say so myself!

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #30
Andys83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Hello folks just joined the forum yesterday after becoming the proud owner of a 320i xdrive also! So far so good! Lots of toys and lots if fun!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #31
UK_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys83 View Post
Hello folks just joined the forum yesterday after becoming the proud owner of a 320i xdrive also! So far so good! Lots of toys and lots if fun!!
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum and exclusive xdrive fraternity. What spec and colour did you go for? I'd love to see some pics of your car.
      11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
Mungogrubb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 30D MSport, Carbon Black

Lovely looking car Rb79 sure you are going to have great fun- whats the plan for the winter you settling for the xdrive or will you add some winter rubber?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Nice colour enjoy.
      11-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #34
UK_
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungogrubb View Post
Lovely looking car Rb79 sure you are going to have great fun- whats the plan for the winter you settling for the xdrive or will you add some winter rubber?
g to stick with normal rubber as my previous Quattros have been fine and I don't live anywhere where the weather is too extreme. Also most of my journeys are on well treated A-roads and motorways. I might re consider in the future if I have some hairy moments. How about you on your 328?
      12-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #35
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
I had tiptorinic auto in my audi a4 3.0 quattro s-line and I NEVER once used the paddles so for me it was not worth it. A personal thing.

Sorry couldn't resist using that smilie
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #36
UK_
Captain
Rep

Wanted to give my thoughts on xdrive if it is helpful to others that maybe considering it. I know people may have driven xdrive in other BMWs so I am focussing mainly on the differences I found compared to RWD non SUV BMWs I have driven.

Firstly positives, there is still the feeling of driving a RWD as the natural power distribution is 60:40 rearward bias so I don't think there is a loss of the sporty driving sensation. There is a noticeable feeling of supreme grip especially on tight bends. I had a 125 msport on loan for the last few weeks and on my normal drives to the gym etc there are a lot of tight country bends. I would often see the DSC light come on especially when acclerating on any slippy stuff out of a bend but xdrive just feels planted. It also seems to help directional stability, the car changes lane with seemingly reduced effort perhaps because the front wheels have drive too although it does take a little getting used to as less steering effort seems to be required compared the the servotronic I had in the 125. Although the engine is the least powerful of all the petrol variants, the power is definitely more useable and transferred quicker to the road which is apparent on overtaking or from a standing start.

Negatives, well there is a definite drop in fuel economy compared to the RWD 320i I drove for a weekend before ordering. I have only done 70 miles but not averaging more than 24mpg although a lot of that was stuck in traffic. It also increases CO2 emissions so goes up a tax band. The front wheels seem to transmit more road imperfections through the steering despite the adaptive suspension and the car tracks the road more although this could be due to 19" wheels rather than xdrive.

Hope that is helpful.
      12-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Wanted to give my thoughts on xdrive if it is helpful to others that maybe considering it. I know people may have driven xdrive in other BMWs so I am focussing mainly on the differences I found compared to RWD non SUV BMWs I have driven.

Firstly positives, there is still the feeling of driving a RWD as the natural power distribution is 60:40 rearward bias so I don't think there is a loss of the sporty driving sensation. There is a noticeable feeling of supreme grip especially on tight bends. I had a 125 msport on loan for the last few weeks and on my normal drives to the gym etc there are a lot of tight country bends. I would often see the DSC light come on especially when acclerating on any slippy stuff out of a bend but xdrive just feels planted. It also seems to help directional stability, the car changes lane with seemingly reduced effort perhaps because the front wheels have drive too although it does take a little getting used to as less steering effort seems to be required compared the the servotronic I had in the 125. Although the engine is the least powerful of all the petrol variants, the power is definitely more useable and transferred quicker to the road which is apparent on overtaking or from a standing start.

Negatives, well there is a definite drop in fuel economy compared to the RWD 320i I drove for a weekend before ordering. I have only done 70 miles but not averaging more than 24mpg although a lot of that was stuck in traffic. It also increases CO2 emissions so goes up a tax band. The front wheels seem to transmit more road imperfections through the steering despite the adaptive suspension and the car tracks the road more although this could be due to 19" wheels rather than xdrive.

Hope that is helpful.
Thanks for the report. Do you find any difference between the feel of xdrive and quattro? I currently have an A4 quattro after many years of driving BMWs and I really like the quattro drive but the rest of the car is, well, just not a BMW.

Hopefully a 320d (or better still a 330d) with xdrive will have appeared by the time I next change cars. I recently emailed BMW asking for any news on this but just got a reply saying I should register my interest with a dealer.

One more question - are there any other visual clues to xdrive other than the badge on the boot?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #38
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Just to be clear, and because I'm the king of pedants, the xDrive variants will necessarily have less grip in tight bends, or any other bends than an equivalent none-xDrive variant. This is just a matter of weight and physics. they will, however, have more traction. Considerably more I've loosed the rears on mine a fair few times already, having just come from a similarly powered AWD car and used to just mashing the throttle with no ill effects (this is in a straight line, too)
      12-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Just to be clear, and because I'm the king of pedants, the xDrive variants will necessarily have less grip in tight bends, or any other bends than an equivalent none-xDrive variant. This is just a matter of weight and physics. they will, however, have more traction. Considerably more I've loosed the rears on mine a fair few times already, having just come from a similarly powered AWD car and used to just mashing the throttle with no ill effects (this is in a straight line, too)
Hmmmm, there are situations where an AWD will corner faster. I remember a 135i driver cutting me off on a large wet roundabout, I decided to show him my annoyance by driving right up his ass. The poor chap couldn't go any faster as the rears were drifting sideways when he gave it some.....me in my AWD went round him on the outside, able to accelerate smoothly whilst cornering. Let's be fair wet roundabouts are pretty common in the UK.

In lighter engined 320 guise I bet the xDrive is a well balanced machine.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #40
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hmmmm, there are situations where an AWD will corner faster. I remember a 135i driver cutting me off on a large wet roundabout, I decided to show him my annoyance by driving right up his ass. The poor chap couldn't go any faster as the rears were drifting sideways when he gave it some.....me in my AWD went round him on the outside, able to accelerate smoothly whilst cornering. Let's be fair wet roundabouts are pretty common in the UK.

In lighter engined 320 guise I bet the xDrive is a well balanced machine.
I have a 135i at present and it's difficult to put the power down a lot of the time, slightly wet and it's very difficult in pretty much most of the gears as there's so much power; my 335d was similar, and I can't imagine the new 330d being much different. You just get used to the car I suppose, and learn to use the throttle appropriately to get the most power down for the conditions.

If they did XDrive in the UK on the bigger-engined models I'd definitely have it though; not for the 3 days a year we have snow, but to get all that power you've paid for actually down on the road
      12-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #41
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
I have a 135i at present and it's difficult to put the power down a lot of the time, slightly wet and it's very difficult in pretty much most of the gears as there's so much power; my 335d was similar, and I can't imagine the new 330d being much different. You just get used to the car I suppose, and learn to use the throttle appropriately to get the most power down for the conditions.

If they did XDrive in the UK on the bigger-engined models I'd definitely have it though; not for the 3 days a year we have snow, but to get all that power you've paid for actually down on the road
Spot on....but yes you wouldn't buy it for snow, winter tyred RWD would be more appropriate in the snow than an xDrive with summers. But agreed, in the wet conditions the AWD just works.....too well at times, I do like a bit of sideways action
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #42
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Spot on....but yes you wouldn't buy it for snow, winter tyred RWD would be more appropriate in the snow than an xDrive with summers. But agreed, in the wet conditions the AWD just works.....too well at times, I do like a bit of sideways action
I think there'll be people buying XDrives and keeping them on summer tyres though and assuming they're invincible (just like your guys in their 4x4s)! AWD and winter tyres would obviously be the best combination!

My 135i last year was great in the bit of snow we had on Bridgestone Blizzaks, if only more people in the UK knew about the benefits of winter tyres; a lot of people still don't! Crucial in a BMW particularly.
      12-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post

Snap - I had a 330d on test a couple of weeks ago aNd the traction control light was a bit too busy for my liking on a damp country lane. Am waiting to see if xdrive comes available on 3.0d before I decide to get one
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop north View Post
Snap - I had a 330d on test a couple of weeks ago aNd the traction control light was a bit too busy for my liking on a damp country lane. Am waiting to see if xdrive comes available on 3.0d before I decide to get one
ha ha, the 330D I had on test, the TC light was busy in the dry. I can only imagine what it would be like in the midst of winter in the wet....ECOPRO mode will feel.......sensitive.
Appreciate 0