F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DMS Automotive Remapping
GetBMWParts

10-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #45
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
That suggests a really small amount, but a fraction could mean anything from 1/10 to 9/10ths!!! Care to share?
Well, well under half but I was made to promise not to post the price!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #46
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
I'll be posting some further info on the merits of different tuning methods shortly
Here you go...http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4#post16782764
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #47
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the post - but if you want some honest feedback... it's too much like an ad for ACS.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #48
Lorcan
Rep

Is IS an ad for ACS, that's why it's in the "vendors classified" section.

I'm happy to discuss the pros and cons of each though...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #49
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Thanks for the post - but if you want some honest feedback... it's too much like an ad for ACS.
Can't see anything wrong with it, the thread in the link is clearly within Classifieds/ sponsors section.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #50
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is IS an ad for ACS, that's why it's in the "vendors classified" section.

I'm happy to discuss the pros and cons of each though...
Ah, OK. Hadn't noticed what forum it was in. I just clicked the link!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #51
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan
I just spoke to Rob @ DMS as we resell their remaps (mostly for older cars out of warranty). He confirmed the E90 results, but that's not why I called. The F30 diesel remap is 950+vat and they need the ECU for a couple of days. It's not a straightforward remap and they do something that stops any later encryption changes installed at service updates from locking them out (as happened with the M5). You'd still have to get the remap re-installed though, as it will be overwritten by the update.
Is anybody going to get this done?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #52
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan
I just spoke to Rob @ DMS as we resell their remaps (mostly for older cars out of warranty). He confirmed the E90 results, but that's not why I called. The F30 diesel remap is 950+vat and they need the ECU for a couple of days. It's not a straightforward remap and they do something that stops any later encryption changes installed at service updates from locking them out (as happened with the M5). You'd still have to get the remap re-installed though, as it will be overwritten by the update.
Not me. I will choose one of the tuning box options I think
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #53
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
I'm sort of considering it, but I sent some questions to DMS and they haven't replied. Not too inspiring...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #54
Lorcan
Rep

I re-sell DMS so might be able to help with the questions...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #55
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From what I understand about tuning boxes, I'm really not convinced it's a good idea. They work by fooling the ECU that some input parameter is lower/higher than it actually is (e.g. air mass, fuel flow, turbo boost). The worst of them can cause the ECU to go into limp mode. I'd be cautious that this sort of tinkering can possibly deliver reliable and safe performance gains.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #56
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I re-sell DMS so might be able to help with the questions...
OK, so here's the jist of it. I've recently acquired a 330d xdrive. I'm very happy with the performance but I'm finding engine refinement a bit of an issue. The problem is clatter under light throttle in the 1200-1800 rpm range. I'm assuming this is detonation related. So, I sent a query to DMS asking if this might be fixable with a remap. I'm aware that the xdrive engine is mapped to deliver max torque lower in the rev range than the sdrive and I'm wondering if this is the root of the problem. Logic tells me more torque must mean more fuel which must mean more detonation (but I'm a strict amateur so what do I know!). Anyhow, Tony at DMS replied that his remap would fix all that and give me more power. I sent him this reply:

Quote:
Thank for you reply. It sounds positive, but I have a few questions (well, quite a few actually!):

- What is the physical process of re-mapping? Is it just a software update via the OBD, or is there a need to connect directly to the EEPROM? Is there any neeed to modify any of the hardware?

- What does the remap do in more technical terms? Is it more boost, more fueling, changed injection profile, ...?

- How can you be sure that the remap will improve the clatter?

- Are there any downsides to the re-map - e.g. more smoke, poorer fuel efficiency?

- How well tested is the map? How many vehicles have you done?

- How does the map work with the car's driving modes (eco, sport, normal)?

- Does the remap change the torque distribution against RPM?

- Do you do the same remap for xdrive and std RWD cars?

- How do you know that the remap is undetectable? I'm obviously concerned about any get-out BMW would have on warranty should there ever be a problem.

- Finally (!), do you offer any sort of guarantee should I be unhappy with the remap? A grand is a lot to spend if it doesn't fix the problem. And just to reiterate - this isn't about more power for me - it's about engine refinement.

Thanks,
No reply as yet.

Last edited by pdk42; 10-17-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #57
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand about tuning boxes, I'm really not convinced it's a good idea. They work by fooling the ECU that some input parameter is lower/higher than it actually is (e.g. air mass, fuel flow, turbo boost). The worst of them can cause the ECU to go into limp mode. I'd be cautious that this sort of tinkering can possibly deliver reliable and safe performance gains.
That's how the cheap ones work. The good ones work by monitoring the inputs and adjusting the fuelling and boost control independently of the ECU. And they come with up to a 3 year warranty on the product itself AND the engine/drivetrain, just in case a tuning-related fault appears.

One thing I left off the ad in the vendors forum. You can't take a remap off and sell it to someone else. Or move it to your next car even if it has the same engine. You can with an ACS upgrade.

/endofsalespitch
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #58
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42
Quote:
I'm not planning on getting the worst of them! Essentially they all work much the same way, but the more expensive ones, like the ACS one seem to take more inputs.
Interestingly, in an article provided to me by Lorcan, which was a German review of them, a few of them did remarkably well actually. The main thing that marked down the Racechip one, for example, was just the lack of TUV certification. Given its a sixth the price then I can live with that.
At £400 I could get the superchips one, and it gives more modest gains than the ACS one or the DMS remap, but that should reduce the risk of issues. And it am be completely removed in 10 mins.

I'm really not sure any remap is the right option for resolving your clatter. I think you need to be speaking to BMW about this.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #59
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
OK, so here's the jist of it. I've recently acquired a 330d xdrive. I'm very happy with the performance but I'm finding engine refinement a bit of an issue. The problem is clatter under light throttle in the 1200-1800 rpm range. I'm assuming this is detonation related. So, I sent a query to DMS asking if this might be fixable with a remap. I'm aware that the xdrive engine is mapped to deliver max torque lower in the rev range than the sdrive and I'm wondering if this is the root of the problem. Logic tells me more torque must mean more fuel which must mean more detonation (but I'm a strict amateur so what do I know!). Anyhow, Tony at DMS replied that his remap would fix all that and give me more power. I sent him this reply

No reply as yet.
Blimey, that's a big old list, and one best directed to Tony or Rob in a phone call I think. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #60
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm really not sure any remap is the right option for resolving your clatter. I think you need to be speaking to BMW about this.
You might be right. My suspicion though is that the dealers will only say "it's normal". In fact, I'm wondering if I'm just being over sensitive to it. I didn't really notice it in the two test drives I did, but now I'm driving the car daily, I'm constantly sensitive to the noise. I had an F11 530d and although it exhibited some of the same characteristics it was at a lower level and didn't bother me so much. Maybe the 5 just had more soundproofing.

I could do with driving (or just sitting in) another f30/31 330d xdrive to do some comparison. Is there anyone in the Warwickshire area who might be up for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #61
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You might be right. My suspicion though is that the dealers will only say "it's normal". In fact, I'm wondering if I'm just being over sensitive to it. I didn't really notice it in the two test drives I did, but now I'm driving the car daily, I'm constantly sensitive to the noise. I had an F11 530d and although it exhibited some of the same characteristics it was at a lower level and didn't bother me so much. Maybe the 5 just had more soundproofing.

I could do with driving (or just sitting in) another f30/31 330d xdrive to do some comparison. Is there anyone in the Warwickshire area who might be up for this?
I suspect you've just got used to the refinement found in a 5 series. A 320d is a terrible car for diesel clatter, yet the 520d has the same engine and is more refined than any 3 series diesel in the lower end of the rev range.
Where I think the 6 pot engine in a 3 series really makes a difference is that the sound of revving it hard isn't painful. But then again a 530d is in a different league for smoothness.

If I could change anything about a 3 series it would be this. I've tried adding some sound deadening in the bonnet, but it didn't make much difference. From further research it really needs to be in the bulkhead and the floorpan (a lot of engine noise is reflected up from the road and through the floor).

Hopefully you can have a go in another car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #62
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I suspect you've just got used to the refinement found in a 5 series. A 320d is a terrible car for diesel clatter, yet the 520d has the same engine and is more refined than any 3 series diesel in the lower end of the rev range.
Where I think the 6 pot engine in a 3 series really makes a difference is that the sound of revving it hard isn't painful. But then again a 530d is in a different league for smoothness.

If I could change anything about a 3 series it would be this. I've tried adding some sound deadening in the bonnet, but it didn't make much difference. From further research it really needs to be in the bulkhead and the floorpan (a lot of engine noise is reflected up from the road and through the floor).

Hopefully you can have a go in another car.
Thank you for your post. I agree about the 3 sounding good under acceleration. But it's the clatter under light load when pootling about town that's irritating (maybe this is why I didn't notice it on the test drive - who pootles about in those circumstances!). In fact, I drove my wife's lowly Golf 1.4 TSI tonight which is really buttery smooth for a car in its class. It made it a pleasure zipping around town.

I suspect my problem with the 3 is the comparison to the 5. The issue is probably better soundproofing in the 5. I guess I'll learn to live with it - in fact (for other reasons), I'm looking at a Gladen speaker and Amp upgrade, so that'll help . Strange that BMW didn't see fit to make it as smooth as possible by installing sufficient soundproofing. What's the cost of more soundproofing at manufacturing time - £10?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #63
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your post. I agree about the 3 sounding good under acceleration. But it's the clatter under light load when pootling about town that's irritating. In fact, I drove my wife's lowly Golf 1.4 TSI tonight which is really buttery smooth for a car in its class. It made it a pleasure zipping around town.

I suspect my problem with the 3 is the comparison to the 5. the issue is almost certainly better soundproofing in the 5. I guess I'll learn to live with it - in fact (for other reasons), I'm looking at a Gladen speaker and Amp upgrade, so that'll help . Strange that BMW didn't see fit to make it as smooth as possible by installing sufficient soundproofing. What's the cost of more soundproofing at manufacturing time - £10?
Same here when I drive the Z4! But then I drive the 335d everywhere in maximum attack and get 33mpg. Drive the Z4 or any other 6 cylinder petrol in a similar manner and I'd struggle to beat 25mpg and I'd still be slower!. I can't justify that over 30k miles a year either. If I did less then I'd possibly prefer the 335i.

I've moaned about the sound deadening issue on here too. Even if they made additional sound deadening an optional extra then I'd be happy, as it's much easier to do at build, than it is aftermarket.

I know how I'd do it, and it wouldn't be particularly expensive for the materials, but it involves taking the front seats and carpet up, and I just don't have time, space or facilities to do so.

When I swap to my winter wheels I'm going to investigate the possibility of putting sound deadening under the wheel arch liners to reduce road noise!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #64
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
I'm sort of considering it, but I sent some questions to DMS and they haven't replied. Not too inspiring...
Anybody contact Imran@Evolve to see if he has cracked it?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #65
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

in Belgium ( i,m from Holland ) a tuning company claimed they can tune the F30 diesels on the ECU ( no box !! )

http://www.br-performance.be/nl-be/n...s/321-bmw-faq/

it,s written in dutch, but they say they can program the New F3* BMW on ECU
Appreciate 0