F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Gauges Reset While Driving
ARMA SPEED

12-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
txconsultant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport Sedan

Gauges Reset While Driving

I have a 30 minute commute mostly on cruise control at ~70 mph. While driving on the highway my gauges have been reseting with no power loss. All my gauges go dark and the readings go to zero. Once everything hits zero the power returns and everything goes back to normal except cruise control is no longer on. I have the p3 cars gauges that can check the ECU for codes and it appears no codes are thrown after this issue.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue or had seem similar behavior in their f30? I wanted to check the forum first since recreating the issue may be problematic and require the dealer to keep the car for a number of days.

I have a 07/13 build 335i sedan with the MPPK installed.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
      12-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Does it happen at the same place every time? Does it happen Every time?

Driving anywhere near an airport or military installation, or maybe a big radar or tv/radio tower(s)?

The electronics in today's car are pretty well protected from the more common RF sources, but it still could. The only issue I've had with mine was that I couldn't get the remote to work (comfort access) parked near a TV transmission tower in Needham, MA. Had to actually use the key to get in, but it started and ran fine...remote works normally, and has for months afterwards, so it wasn't a weak battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Sounds like a connection issue. Maybe a pinched wire.

7/2013 build would be a 2014 car. Check again.
      12-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
txconsultant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport Sedan

Connection Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Does it happen at the same place every time? Does it happen Every time?

Driving anywhere near an airport or military installation, or maybe a big radar or tv/radio tower(s)?

The electronics in today's car are pretty well protected from the more common RF sources, but it still could. The only issue I've had with mine was that I couldn't get the remote to work (comfort access) parked near a TV transmission tower in Needham, MA. Had to actually use the key to get in, but it started and ran fine...remote works normally, and has for months afterwards, so it wasn't a weak battery.
I drive about 2 miles away from the airport on my way to work, but it is not consistent on location of where it is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Sounds like a connection issue. Maybe a pinched wire.

7/2013 build would be a 2014 car. Check again.
I agree that it has to be a wiring issue, but I'm worried about bringing it into the dealership only to have them say we can't recreate the issue. I may have to break down and just let them take a shot at resolving the issue.

I could have sworn it was a July build, but now that you mention it I'll have to check again. That is probably way too close to when I took receipt of the car to be the actual build date.

Thanks for your input
      12-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

It sounds like the cluster (KOMBI) is rebooting. They behavior you described is exactly what happens when you "code" it as coding reboots the KOMBI after the changes have been applied. All of the needles go to zero, then immediately return. The other side effect of a rebooting KOMBI is that the clock gets reset and you get a message to reset the date/time. Do you get that too?

It could be a pinched wire, or the cluster is bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by txconsultant View Post
I agree that it has to be a wiring issue, but I'm worried about bringing it into the dealership only to have them say we can't recreate the issue. I may have to break down and just let them take a shot at resolving the issue.
Perhaps not that easy or safe but try to capture a video with your phone when it happens. Then show the dealer.
Appreciate 0