F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > ProClip Drivers Side Install - Route Wires, Opinions
proTUNING Freaks

12-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
jeff526
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320Xi

ProClip Drivers Side Install - Route Wires, Opinions

I'm looking to purchase a ProClip Driver-side Mount and holder for my iPhone 6.
http://www.brodit.com/product.html?i...0F31&year=2014

I would like to to keep the phone hooked up to USB for charging, sound quality and messaging.
I was thinking of running a 10-ft lightning cable from the center console up to the mount.
Initially I would just route the cable out the center console opening and if I like the setup drill a hole to route through the bottom.
I see where I can easily route/hide the cable along the bottom of the center console and then above the pedals and finally up through the dash side panel.

Has anyone done this before?
Has anyone used the ProClip Mount - is it distracting to have the phone on the left?
I realize ProClip has a center mount option, but I feel it would be too much with the Nav/iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I have been a ProClip user for about a year with my iPhone 5s, and now for my 6 Plus.

I stared at the interior of my car for what seemed like hours, trying to find a good spot to mount a 6 Plus/ProClip with a Lightning-attached cable. Routing the cable is rather easy, but finding a 10ft cable that will mate with the ProClip holder is virtually impossible. Even if you mount it somewhere on the left of the steering wheel, there is still no ideal spot to put the iPhone in addition to the mount (unless you don't have the Drivers Assistance buttons like I do?). Also, putting it left of the steering wheel seemed to raise the likelihood of the phone slipping/dropping a bit too close to where it could fall, and end up on the outside of the car/ground.

Ultimately, I decided to mount my 6 Plus in the spot you see in the attached photo. I secured the ProClip to the trim with 3M Heavy Duty double stick tape. Doesn't leave a reside, and the hold is very strong. The phone when mounted is out of the way of the handbrake, the transmission lever, the armrest as well as the iDrive controller. I've had it mounted like this for a few weeks, and I think it is OK. Sure, you're not going to be able to "text on the go", but I really wanted to get away from any such temptation. You can still take a quick glance at a notification, if necessary.

I hid the OEM Lightning cable under the trim, then back around the back of the armrest, into the USB connector. The white cable looks more obnoxious in the photo than in person.

EDIT: also, if you're considering the clip in that link (attached to the A-pillar) you're going to need a lot more than a 10ft Lightning cable. And as far as I know, there are no >10ft MFi certified lightning cables. I have at least 2 different MFi-certified 10ft Lightning cables, and neither one will fit into the opening of the ProClip/Brodit mount. You really need to use the OEM cable.

EDIT #2. After some measuring with the 10ft cable, you actually could make it work with an A-pillar mount, hiding the cable under the trim, under the footwell, and up through the A-pillar. You'd still run into the issue of the non-OEM Lightning connector not fitting into the ProClip mount. However you could try this holder, and use a USB-30pin 10ft cable (I recommend Belkin) and add the Apple OEM 30pin to Lightning adaptor. Should work, in theory! I'm still not convinced the left side A-pillar is the best spot for a phone. Seems to increase the risk of dropping, exponentially.
Attached Images

Last edited by SamS; 12-14-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I'm considering doing something like this. I've considered mounting the phone just to the right of the cup holders. The mount would have to attach to the right side of the center console into the passengers area. I was then going to route the lightning cable under the center wood trim piece. I really hate how you can see the white cable in my car now.

Last edited by DanITman; 12-14-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
jeff526
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320Xi

thanks for the pics and the input!
I really like the idea of mounting it on the A-Pillar. In my E46 I had my iPhone4 on the center dash and used for Nav, Music and reading email.
I no longer need my phone for Nav or Music, but email is very helpful - my commute is 8 miles, but takes 45 minutes due the long lights.

I was thinking of going with the Pro Clip holder with no Connector -
http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold..._leftorright=0
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanITman View Post
I'm considering doing something like this. I've considered mounting the phone just to the right of the cup holders. The mount would have to attach to the right side of the center console into the passengers area. I was then going to route the lightning cable under the center wood trim piece. I really hate how you can see the white cable in my car now.
If you put it there, you might hit it with your knee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff525 View Post
thanks for the pics and the input!
I really like the idea of mounting it on the A-Pillar. In my E46 I had my iPhone4 on the center dash and used for Nav, Music and reading email.
I no longer need my phone for Nav or Music, but email is very helpful - my commute is 8 miles, but takes 45 minutes due the long lights.

I was thinking of going with the Pro Clip holder with no Connector -
http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold..._leftorright=0
If you don't use the mount with the cable, you might as well keep it in your pocket and use Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0