F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > More BMW 3 Series GT Reviews Roll In, Both Good and Bad
Extreme Powerhouse

03-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #23
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Such narrow minded thoughts!

If nobody buys it, they'll stop selling it. If you look at other's partners, compared to your own, it isn't uncommon to wonder what makes he/she seem so beautiful and perfect for them. Nobody expects everyone to love every car (which is why there are choices!), but for someone who does happen to like one, who are you to tell them it's trash, it should be burned, it should never have been built? I occasionally see some people that to me are kind of repulsive, but we don't murder them to make us feel better!

In your world, everyone would wear a size medium, size 9 shoe, and love anchovies. Get real...

For those that say get a touring (station wagon) because it's got more room and style, personally, I don't like that shape, and in this case, the GT has more room than the other 3-series choices - read the specs! Not everyone is a canyon racer, but depending on how you option out any BMW, you can get a range of capabilities depending on what you want. Would you have BMW stop making any of its X-series vehicles? Talk about high center of gravity. Talk about how much money it brings into the company. We should all drive sedans, and ideally, M-versions...get rid of everything else...such juvenile, ignorant, biased opinions.

Expressing you don't like it is one thing, but maybe add in why would be much more useful in the discussion.

People need to recognize their opinions and preferences, while maybe great for them, are just that, theirs, and not something that should be foisted on others! Constructive criticism, expressed as an opinion, rather than an absolute, universal (in your thoughts) truth goes much further and is more useful.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Agree with some of the sentiment it's a matter of taste, it's not like it's replacing the tourer or the saloon so chill out

As for 'nothing special' about owning a 3 well that depends if you own it for the sake of enjoying driving...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #25
Palle
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1er

I Like the new BMW 3 Series GT!!!! It looks absoluty stunning in person!!! And the concept of an BMW GT is made for people who wants an elegant and roomy car... and the surcharge is not to high in my opinion.... you have to consider, that the GT is more than 20 cm longer than the Touring...

For my money the 3GT is great supplement in the BMW lineup!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #26
BJB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Such narrow minded thoughts!

If nobody buys it, they'll stop selling it. If you look at other's partners, compared to your own, it isn't uncommon to wonder what makes he/she seem so beautiful and perfect for them. Nobody expects everyone to love every car (which is why there are choices!), but for someone who does happen to like one, who are you to tell them it's trash, it should be burned, it should never have been built? I occasionally see some people that to me are kind of repulsive, but we don't murder them to make us feel better!

In your world, everyone would wear a size medium, size 9 shoe, and love anchovies. Get real...

For those that say get a touring (station wagon) because it's got more room and style, personally, I don't like that shape, and in this case, the GT has more room than the other 3-series choices - read the specs! Not everyone is a canyon racer, but depending on how you option out any BMW, you can get a range of capabilities depending on what you want. Would you have BMW stop making any of its X-series vehicles? Talk about high center of gravity. Talk about how much money it brings into the company. We should all drive sedans, and ideally, M-versions...get rid of everything else...such juvenile, ignorant, biased opinions.

Expressing you don't like it is one thing, but maybe add in why would be much more useful in the discussion.

People need to recognize their opinions and preferences, while maybe great for them, are just that, theirs, and not something that should be foisted on others! Constructive criticism, expressed as an opinion, rather than an absolute, universal (in your thoughts) truth goes much further and is more useful.
+1

I like the GT. As a father of 3 kids aged between 2 and 6, the GT makes a lot of sense to me. An MPV is not cool and doesn't drive very well, although I did buy one for my wife. An SUV will never handle as well as a sedan because of the higher centre of gravity. The 3 series sedan is great but too small for my needs. Extra rear space and a higher entry both help getting kids and their seats in and out of a car, especially when you have to lift them out after they have fallen asleep. A large boot is also a boon for large prams and other paraphernalia. Am I the only dad on this forum that gets this car?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #27
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

^+1 starting to get it, just not sold on looks yet. Definitely promising though.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #28
BJB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Auto Bild Review

Please see below for Google translation of Auto Bild review. There is also a video review, but it is in German and I couldn't understand a word. If anybody can understand the video report, please be kind and provide us with a brief summary.

Beautiful travel in BMW 3 Series GT
After the BMW 5 Series now also makes the 3-series GT and thereby intends to win in the upper middle class comfort-oriented customers. A driving report.

Even if the design of the BMW 5 Series GT is not convinced any car aesthetes, there are at least enough customers to now, the GT concept also for the smaller (and cheaper) 3 offer. Whether this can be achieved, clears a first drive report.
Overview: All news and tests for the BMW 3 Series GT

• optics typically 3, but longer (+ 20 cm) and higher (+ 8 cm) than the combination. As dynamically as in the normal 3 Series GT does not the reason. • Well-being: noble and comfortable as usual. The increased 6 cm seating position ensures a better view, 11 cm longer wheelbase for space in a luxury sedan. And the trunk can be seen with 520 to 1600 liters.

Convenient: Just wipe with your foot under the bumper and open the trunk with a thud. But 570 euros is extra. •

Motor: A silky smooth muscle man, absolute cream! The 3.0-liter six-cylinder with turbocharging makes 306 hp, hums and whispers that it's a delight. Toll, the eight-Sport automatic, the flash automatically switches or can be controlled via steering wheel paddles. In Sport Plus program when kickdown, forced upshift and traction control are deactivated, the 335i GT is transformed into a high-revving full throttle professional.

Comparison: Is the GT is the better 3 Series?

Ride in a typical 3: The steering axle follows the wishes of the driver always willingly.
• fun factor typical 3. Also in sharp cornering the steering axle follows the wishes of the driver willingly. The rear wheels push the GT heavily in the apex, but he remains clean at all times on the track. Worthwhile is the adaptive chassis (1100 euros). In the comfort position, the GT springs for longer and looks softer as a sedan or station wagon. And even in sport mode, the ride comfort is more than decent. • Price From $ 36,650 for the base model 320i. The distance moved 335i costs about 50,000 euros. No special offers and 1,500 euros more expensive than a combo! •

Conclusion Optical taste. But the bottom line is a sovereign touring car with plenty of power, space, comfort and prestige.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #29
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB View Post
+1

I like the GT. As a father of 3 kids aged between 2 and 6, the GT makes a lot of sense to me. An MPV is not cool and doesn't drive very well, although I did buy one for my wife. An SUV will never handle as well as a sedan because of the higher centre of gravity. The 3 series sedan is great but too small for my needs. Extra rear space and a higher entry both help getting kids and their seats in and out of a car, especially when you have to lift them out after they have fallen asleep. A large boot is also a boon for large prams and other paraphernalia. Am I the only dad on this forum that gets this car?
+1

My inlaw has a SUV (Enclave) but i find it too high so getting in / out is a PITA, the kids cannot climb up/down either. On my sedan it is just a bit too low that getting the kids in their seats can be hard, so I was always thinking that something just slightly higher than a sedan would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #30
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Would you have BMW stop making any of its X-series vehicles?
No we will be making further X vehicles over the current X1 , X3 , X5 and X6. About another 7 models are planned. Including an additional model for the X3.
      03-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #31
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Burn them all with fire!

Then send an N55 powered Touring to the US please!
      03-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #32
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Burn them all and fire who ever approved this car.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
BJB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Poor ride or poor road?

As is evident from my previous posts, I am keen on the GT despite strong views to the contrary. In 3 separate reviews in Autocar/Edmunds (same author), carenthusiast.com, and motoring.com.au, the journos complained about the ride quality over bumps. I'm a little shocked because as a GT, I was expecting the car to have an exemplary ride. The Australian journos were honest enough to report that they weren't sure if the poor ride quality was down to the car or the poor Sicilian roads. I guess time will tell when the cars are evaluated on local roads, be they American, Australian, European, or South African. In any event, it appears that Sicily was an ill conceived location for the launch.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #34
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Would you have BMW stop making any of its X-series vehicles?
No we will be making further X vehicles over the current X1 , X3 , X5 and X6. About another 7 models are planned. Including an additional model for the X3.
7?!?! Lets see an X4, X2, and the X7 are obvious ones. I could see BMW doing a X8. That still leaves three models. Maybe a smaller sub X1 crossover? Maybe a X3 Li. Hmmmm, I am stuck. Anything you can add Scott?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #35
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
7?!?! Lets see an X4, X2, and the X7 are obvious ones. I could see BMW doing a X8. That still leaves three models. Maybe a smaller sub X1 crossover? Maybe a X3 Li. Hmmmm, I am stuck. Anything you can add Scott?
2 models of X2 (28i/35i), 2 models of X4 (28i/35i), 2 models of X7 (35i/50i), and 1 more model of X3 (20d or 35is?) == 7 additional models
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
2 models of X2 (28i/35i), 2 models of X4 (28i/35i), 2 models of X7 (35i/50i), and 1 more model of X3 (20d or 35is?) == 7 additional models
I dont think this is what he was referring to. Globally there are several engines available for each model in addition to what you have listed.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #37
BJB
Enlisted Member
Rep

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #38
Marley71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Septa

Favorable Autoblog review.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/21/2...rismo-w-video/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Another 3 Series GT Review:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-s...rce=newsletter
      08-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB View Post
+1

could not agree more and u r not the only one.... just test drove the toruing since i knew the sedan is too small as a family car and i was surprised to admit that the touring is just too small for my family . looks like a GT Xdrive it is for me since it is a more practical family car (though i still hate the way it looks )
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
fourbmws
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi sedan

I've been going back and forth on whether to get a 328xi GT or 328xi wagon to replace my 2011 335xi sedan. I like the wagon's look but have decided that it doesn't sufficiently address the primary dislike of my current 335--tight rear seat and inadequate cargo loading flexibility. Although the GT gives up some driving dynamics to the wagon I think the balance of its characteristics best suits my needs. And for those who label the GT as ugly but haven't seen it in the metal I'd suggest withholding judgment. I was surprised by how much I liked it after seeing one in person, much better than in photos or videos. It has real road presence and is much better proportioned than I'd expected.
Appreciate 0