F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > about to order MP4S tires ... any reason to NOT?
Studio RSR

04-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

about to order MP4S tires ... any reason to NOT?

i'm about to order the new MP4S tires
245/40/18 square for my Apex ARC-8 18x8.5 wheels

any reason to NOT go with MP4S?
i loved my MPSS on my old e46
and on my f30 with the style 398 wheels as part of the track handling package

I currently have Bridgestone RE-71R tires on the ARC-8 wheels
i know they are great tires in terms of traction and performance but they are NOISYYYYY

so i figure MP4S is the new and improved MPSS
has anyone seen anything negative about the new tires?

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime22 View Post
Now I can comment from experience with the PSS, A\S3+, and PS4S.

Discount tire mistakenly put on the as3 so I drove it for a day until I took it back for the 4s I ordered. Here are my observations. Including even the obvious details for sake of being thorough.

MSS: liked them a lot while driving them for 11k miles before they needed replacing. Not a below 60 degree tire in my mind. Once warm very sticky and responsive. Little 'pingy' over bumps but good road feel. Predictable turn ins and breaking point. Noise is moderate nothing too loud but not silent like true passenger tires. Needed to be warmed up or the rubber compound was brutally stiff. Was not too impressed with rain performance but others seem to think it's alright.

A/S3+: (note: size increased to 245/40/18)
These things were pretty awesome from my one day with them. Summer ish conditions in Dallas that day so can't comment on wet or snow. Things that jumped out at me initially were how well these handled potholes, much more subdued. The trade off with that obviously is less road feel/feedback. I could REALLY feel what I thought to be the width increase on these. More on this in the 4s section. If I exaggerate a bit to make a point, these tires made it feel like my buddy's Jeep Wrangler. Road noise was similar to MSS. But the steering wheel felt like sport mode even when in comfort. That's all I can say from a day of driving around for a few hours, not sure how long it takes to wear the factory film layer off.

PS4S: (also in 245) I like them a lot. Lots of road feel and noticeably more nimble than the as3. No joke makes the whole car feel lighter. Less grounded feeling than as3 I will say. The 4S expose the shortcomings of the electric steering big time. I have yet to break traction on these. Normal road noise and less bouncy compared to MSS. Love the sidewall shape, rounded like the MSS and don't have the SUV look like the AS3. Tire compound feels like it is dead in the middle of the other two tires (soft <> hard rubber). Needs next to no warmup from what I can tell. Wet traction TBD but we have all seen the press releases promises.

For sure an improvement from MSS, but don't go out and pay $202 ea until you're ready for new tires. I would for sure out these on anything faster than a 3 series and expect them to be noticeably better.

While I had the As3 I tried to break traction in a turn and ran into a bit of difference with MSS. I feel this might be due to how vertical the sidewall of these tires is but they did not want to 'roll' into my slide. In DS and sport mode the engine was all sort of confused holding its gearing, honestly thought I was going into limp mode or something as it was hanging after the turn. Back end wanted to do more of a 90 degree turn rather than more linear. Never really lost traction though so maybe just me needing to adjust to sliding on wider tires. Hoping the new fast and furious movie will improve my own driving ability.
found this in the MP4S thread

i guess i'm going to pull the trigger

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0