F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 328 Turbo laggggggggg
ARMA SPEED

03-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #45
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ij05 View Post
Yep true Dave..... Just sometimes when the steering wheel is half turned to one direction I've ended up confusing myself :
Ahhhh, you would select manual flappy over ride well before entering the roundabout, so you have immediate throttle response on tap.

I do that before entering some 'fast' corners around town. Lots of fun.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Ahhhh, you would select manual flappy over ride well before entering the roundabout, so you have immediate throttle response on tap.

I do that before entering some 'fast' corners around town. Lots of fun.
+1. Knowing how to operate more than two pedals in a car helps.

I have the sneaking suspicion it might solve a lot of these "lag" issues i.e. being in the right gear at the right revs for "GO FAST NOW!"
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #47
sydande
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

how come i feel the opposite LOL, i got a 328i xdrive as a loaner and from a red light start, it feels like the 328 is lighter on its feet. Speaking of turbo lag, my friends lancer ralliart, which almost have identical output as the 328 suffers wayyyyy more turbo lag lol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #48
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydande View Post
how come i feel the opposite LOL, i got a 328i xdrive as a loaner and from a red light start, it feels like the 328 is lighter on its feet. Speaking of turbo lag, my friends lancer ralliart, which almost have identical output as the 328 suffers wayyyyy more turbo lag lol
Yeah, peak torque on the N20's, N54's and N55's is at something like 1250rpm so it pulls like a train from there.

The Lancer's and WRX's etc don't hit it until around the 3000rpm mark, give or take depending on the turbo and tune being used, which makes those cars a completely different beast.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #49
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydande View Post
It is highly dependent on what you are comparing it to.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
It is highly dependent on what you are comparing it to.
I believe that when the F30 328i was first released to the media late 2011/early 2012, the 'virtually no lag/lag free' comments came about exactly what you stated. Compared to most other turbo cars.

Yes, as Dabaitu and Sydande compared the F30 to the other cars, it is pretty much lag free.
You guys are both spot on.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #51
JOHN328
Feeling horny
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

There a guy in the m3 section complaining about the lag of 328i.
Saying the exact thing as what I've said. Lol
      03-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #52
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Like I have said it is highly dependent on what you are comparing it to.

I have known guys who either own or driven extensively other 2.0 turbo 4 (i.e. Evo and WRX) who said the N20 is fantastically smooth and comparatively lag-free for a turbo engine. I have driven WRX quite extensively and the N20 blows it out of the water.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #53
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Try resetting the battery, it will go into the relearn mode. leave it disconnected for about 15-20 min. but don't close the trunk when you do that or you will end up in a big mess lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #54
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN328 View Post
I'm sick of it. everytime car feels dead for 2 seconds.....

Sorry you are experiencing lag with your car. Must be frustrating. Other responses have suggested that it is turbo lag. I have a MY 2014 328i and it has no perceptible lag whatsoever. Really. When I touch the gas pedal in sport mode and even in comfort mode, it gets right on it. No lag. No complaints. I actually love the quick response; much better than I expected.

My brother has an 2011 335 and he complains to me all the time about a delay when he steps on the gas. He is not calling it turbo lag. He just says there is a frustrating delay from the time he steps on the gas pedal until the car actually responds. My point: It may not be turbo lag. It may not be a 328 lack of power issues. It may very well be there is something wrong with your specific car.

I hope you find out whats wrong and get it fixed. It will never have the power of a 335, but if a 328 is running properly, it is a very satisfying car.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #55
JOHN328
Feeling horny
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle
Quote:
I'm sick of it. everytime car feels dead for 2 seconds.....

Sorry you are experiencing lag with your car. Must be frustrating. Other responses have suggested that it is turbo lag. I have a MY 2014 328i and it has no perceptible lag whatsoever. Really. When I touch the gas pedal in sport mode and even in comfort mode, it gets right on it. No lag. No complaints. I actually love the quick response; much better than I expected.

My brother has an 2011 335 and he complains to me all the time about a delay when he steps on the gas. He is not calling it turbo lag. He just says there is a frustrating delay from the time he steps on the gas pedal until the car actually responds. My point: It may not be turbo lag. It may not be a 328 lack of power issues. It may very well be there is something wrong with your specific car.

I hope you find out whats wrong and get it fixed. It will never have the power of a 335, but if a 328 is running properly, it is a very satisfying car.

Good luck!
OMG...some ppl just don't understand....
      02-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #56
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

coming from British and Jap cars, ive always felt like German cars had a little delay in their pedal....which felt like turbo lag. Now that im in a turbo'd car...i dont really notice it. When I got my 328 i didnt feel anything at all.

now that its tuned....i definitely dont see anything. once in a while ill catch it in a high gear when im going slow and it will take a second to downshift...but thats about it
      02-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #57
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
OMG...some ppl just don't understand....
I understand that you are obviously frustrated with your car.

You complain about abnormal delay and laggggggg and several people have suggested it might be a problem with YOUR car and you should have it checked out. Your response is "some people don't understand". WT*

I've read your original post and all of your additional posts. Here is what I think:

Your specific car has something wrong with it if you are getting perceptible lag compared to the 335 you drove. Responders to this thread have suggested difference in compression ratio, materials used in the turbo charger, HP and torque differences between the 328 and the 335. I don't think these have anything to do with the lag you are experiencing.

I've driven 5 or 6 328's with the N20 engine. No perceptible turbo lag in any of them. That is why I am suggesting to you that it might be a specific problem with your car.

I did not read in your original post nor in any of your responses that you have taken your car into the dealer and had it checked out. Maybe you should do that.

Again, I'm sorry you are having problems.

Yours truly, some ppl
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #58
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
its the 4cyl 2.0L engine. Try feeding the fuel into the engine then push the hard. By just thumping the pedal, you are flooding the engine (happens to small engines). Adapt is my only advice

lol... funniest thing I have read here for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #59
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Try a BMS and leave in sport mode. That will make you a lot happier.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #60
agnesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Humm… let’s be clear here, are you describing ‘turbo lag’ or ‘lack/delay in throttle response’, these two factors can be related but are actually 2 separate issues.

Courtesy of Wiki - “Turbo lag is the time required to change power output in response to a throttle change, noticed as a hesitation or slowed throttle response when accelerating from idle as compared to a naturally aspirated engine. This is due to the time needed for the exhaust system and turbocharger to generate the required boost. Inertia, friction, and compressor load are the primary contributors to turbo lag.”

I have been in many 2ltr Turbos, with all different makes and different sized turbos (up to a garrett 3071, which def has a massive turbo lag due to its size and amount of boost required to get to optimum operating level) – what we have in the 328i, a relatively small turbo with twin scroll, there isn’t really much turbo lag. This is further evident by the good power and torque being available from such a low RPM range (most other turbos without the twin scroll would need much higher RPM to get power/torque) – it is slightly unfair to compare the 328i set up with a 335, having a 50% bigger engine with 2 extra cylinders will be able to push out much more exhaust gas at a faster rate to help spool the compressor, so obviously it would have a smaller ‘turbo lag’ – BUT – due to the sizes of our turbos… I feel this difference would be noticeable, but not practically significant for normal road use – on the track, it’s a different matter, but let us continue.

A lack/delay in throttle response can happen independently of turbo lag, it can happen in any car – eg, get your car to 20km/hr, then shift it to the highest gear, now floor the car… does it move? NO?
We have gears to optimise engine power/torque output from the RPM its doing, to the travelling speed of the car, and by mismatching gears to the engine RPM and also car’s travelling speed, you can either get delayed throttle response, or, the other extreme, blown gearboxes (force into low gear at high vehicle speeds)
Again, with the 328i’s with the 8AT, there are many gears to choose from, and factory programming (especially for normal and eco modes) are tuned to maximise fuel efficiency, thus favouring to use higher gears to keep the engines RPM low. So when you push the accelerator harder, the computers in the car reads your input and thinks whether you are just climbing a hill and need a lil more power, or you are trying to speed past something where you need full power, which takes a split second, and then, it will adjust to the right gear to do what you want, which takes another split second – and there you have your ‘delay’
This delay can be minimised though, as suggested by many others here already, by going into sports mode and/or manually choosing the right gear before you need the power/response – which really isn’t that hard, flicking the left peddle 2~3 times and the gears will shift near instantly, bring the RPM to ~3k and I think you will find the throttle response there to be ‘good’?

Comparing 328 with 335 is comparing apples to oranges, but comparing 328’s 2L T to other 2L T out there, you’ll find that its very, very responsive. Otherwise… also as suggested previously, you ‘may’ have a problem with your car and should definitely take it to BMW for them to assess for you.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helped
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #61
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good post.

I have recently driven a E46 325i. That car was nowhere near as quick as my F30 328i but the throttle response was immediate and linear. It was a joy to drive (it had much better steering too but that's for another day).

At the end of the day you can't expect a Turbo 4 to be like a NA 6.

In Comfort mode, the throttle response is non-linear and slow to respond. In Sport it is much better and the response is immediate. Why BMW felt the need to separate the two rather than have one setting called "Normal" somewhere in the middle continues to frustrate me because I like to have something in between the two as my daily default setting.
      02-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #62
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Sports +!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #63
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
Good post.

I have recently driven a E46 325i. That car was nowhere near as quick as my F30 328i but the throttle response was immediate and linear. It was a joy to drive (it had much better steering too but that's for another day).

At the end of the day you can't expect a Turbo 4 to be like a NA 6.

In Comfort mode, the throttle response is non-linear and slow to respond. In Sport it is much better and the response is immediate. Why BMW felt the need to separate the two rather than have one setting called "Normal" somewhere in the middle continues to frustrate me because I like to have something in between the two as my daily default setting.
The OP is complaining about a 2 second lag; as in one thousand one, one thousand 2. Yes, Comfort Mode has less immediate throttle response than the instant response of Sport Mode, but I would not call that a delay. Certainly not a 2 second delay Comfort Mode was designed to improve fuel efficiency.

Yes, it would be nice to have a Normal mode. While BMW is at is, I would like a mode where the steering and DHP are in sport mode while the throttle is in Comfort Mode. Maybe in time all of those personal taste variables will be available.

In the meantime, the OP's 2 second lag sounds like a mechanical or software problem with his 328i. If he gets it fixed, he will be happier.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #64
agnesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
The OP is complaining about a 2 second lag; as in one thousand one, one thousand 2. Yes, Comfort Mode has less immediate throttle response than the instant response of Sport Mode, but I would not call that a delay. Certainly not a 2 second delay Comfort Mode was designed to improve fuel efficiency.

Yes, it would be nice to have a Normal mode. While BMW is at is, I would like a mode where the steering and DHP are in sport mode while the throttle is in Comfort Mode. Maybe in time all of those personal taste variables will be available.

In the meantime, the OP's 2 second lag sounds like a mechanical or software problem with his 328i. If he gets it fixed, he will be happier.

Think the lag/delay by definition is quite subjective, so what we all think might not be the same as what the OP is feeling - a simple fix would be for the OP to test drive another 328, either someone from forums or from a BMW dealer, this way they can find out immediately whether this is issue with their car only... or is the 'norm' with 328s,

either way, hope it gets sorted out relatively easily for the OP good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #65
Gsport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id View Post
Lag? Try driving a Golf R. The KO4 turbo is much laggier. The 328i after a brief drive has instantaneous power.
I agree , I had an S3 before the 328i and the lag was very noticeable, by comparison the 328i has none
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 03:18 AM   #66
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n
Sports +!
I hear ya kidder. Never out of it in my world and with bms stage 1 am well happy.
Appreciate 0