F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > November production new navigation?
Studio RSR

11-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #23
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Wow...those are some pretty nice hardware upgrades. Brings it into borderline pc specs.
More like tablet specs.

Quote:
OK, I'll play devils advocate and say why do you need those kind of upgrades??? Are you really going to be multitasking or launching software other than the included stuff? People gonna run PS2 emulators on their cars!?!? Admittedly I haven't read all the details of the updates beyond the improved navigation look.
Speed improvement. If you use the current 2009+ iDrive you know the system can be a bit slow. Not horribly slow, but not super responsive. The new system is NOT. Its noticeably faster.

Also has a dedicated 3D GPU. New Nav has real 3D elements, but don't quite envision Google Earth here. Its still somewhat old school 3D for the most part. Some of the Nav 3D elements are handy and can be useful in locating your destination. Maybe, if you are willing to stare at an LCD when your eyes should be on the road.

The new system also has some menu improvements which are arguably nice.

Quote:
I for one would never want to deal with software updates on a car computer...it's bad enough dealing with android and ios upgrades, but on a car?? You want it to work like advertised, nothing more nothing less. IMO the biggest area of improvement would have to be UI/integration within the car itself.
Don't be concerned, BMW has this down. The current NEC based iDrive has been dealer upgraded a couple times. I recall getting a fairly updated experience sometime in 2011. Same hardware, new software with tweaks.

New system will get the same over time. BMW is unlikely trying to replace users tablets. Its a car and will stay a car infotainment system. That's all!

Quote:
The extra hard drive size is great though!
Jury is still out on how much free space will be available on new Nav system. Surely the new OS and info stored for graphics require additional HD space.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
The new system is a completely different unit, with a 1GHZ (vs our current 600mhz) processor. Also a dedicated graphics chip. Someone here will have to be the first retrofit dummy
Oh, I'm sure they changed the wiring harness and other connectivity enough to make this a painful project.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Well you have to put it in perspective. First, BMW has to keep up with features offered by competitors, apps and such. That type of integration needs processing power. Second, these Nav systems typically have 5 year lifespans before they appear dated. The current system was introduced for MY2009, and surely was in development for 1-2 years prior. Several MY2013 and MY2014 cars will still use the current system, so they got a solid 5 years out of it. Now, with the new system, they have to build it fast enough now to support 5 more years of use/applications.

I've updated the software on my '12 M3, it was painless.

If you want to see the new iDrive in action, here is a video http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/bmw-idrive-4x/

If you're familiar with the current-gen system, you'll immediately notice the increase speed based on user input, as well as more detail in the maps.
2011 Combox upgrade allowed BMW to add the current Apps (and BT/iPod enhancements). Not sure what else they might do with new Nav but I suspect it won't be huge (feature-wise).

Remember, its a car and BMW needs to maintain that driver focus is on the road.

Let users use their phones/tablets to do the other "distracting" stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Well you have to put it in perspective. First, BMW has to keep up with features offered by competitors, apps and such. That type of integration needs processing power. Second, these Nav systems typically have 5 year lifespans before they appear dated. The current system was introduced for MY2009, and surely was in development for 1-2 years prior. Several MY2013 and MY2014 cars will still use the current system, so they got a solid 5 years out of it. Now, with the new system, they have to build it fast enough now to support 5 more years of use/applications.

If you want to see the new iDrive in action, here is a video http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/bmw-idrive-4x/

If you're familiar with the current-gen system, you'll immediately notice the increase speed based on user input, as well as more detail in the maps.
The smooth interface is great, but is it improved aside from menu's and snappyness? Is the current implementation built on google maps? That would be a great upgrade...The view from the street - not so great IMO, I never use this with google nav on my phone.

Why do they upgrade all that hardware but not improve the resolution of the screen? That would make this a must have upgrade. It would also be cool if there was an HDMI input, so you could hook up your phone to the display.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying it's a bad thing. If the apps BMW offers really enhance the experience then I'll admit that's great. I for one could care less about twitter or facebook or whatever social media one can access. I enjoy mobile apps most when it extends the capability of a device, for example foxfi (free unrooted tether) or flixster (get movie times/watch trailers).

I guess I'm just surprised that there's so much interest and people canceling orders just to have a snappier interface, better menu's and better social media.

At a certain point hardware tends to outpace software...there really isn't a noticeable difference between a core2duo and ivy bridge from a purely UI experience, maybe if you are using software that actually utilizes it. A cell phone OTH can really benefit with new multi-core processors - power improvements, multi-tasking etc.

/rant
      11-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
More like tablet specs.
Jury is still out on how much free space will be available on new Nav system. Surely the new OS and info stored for graphics require additional HD space.
I would assume the OS would be on the Flash drive?
      11-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The smooth interface is great, but is it improved aside from menu's and snappyness?
That's it in a nutshell. Right now. 5/7 series get some addt'l features like being able to direct audio to left or right rear headphone jacks.

Quote:
Is the current implementation built on google maps? That would be a great upgrade...The view from the street - not so great IMO, I never use this with google nav on my phone.
New Nav has a street view but not sure its Google. Based on BMW's past, it likely is. I agree street view is cute, that's all. I have little time to stop and look at street view while I'm driving. At home its fun and sometimes useful.

Quote:
Why do they upgrade all that hardware but not improve the resolution of the screen? That would make this a must have upgrade. It would also be cool if there was an HDMI input, so you could hook up your phone to the display.
Why do they need a high res LCD? Until BMW decides to display uber-detailed imaging, they don't need it.

Quote:
I guess I'm just surprised that there's so much interest and people canceling orders just to have a snappier interface, better menu's and better social media.
Stop visiting forums. 95% of people don't cancel orders and most don't really care if they get the old Nav. As long as the Nav does what they need, they're happy.

I have a CA friend still selling 2012 7 series and he tells me that the vast majority of customers could care less about the new Nav, even the younger buyers.

Quote:
At a certain point hardware tends to outpace software...there really isn't a noticeable difference between a core2duo and ivy bridge
But you can't get a Core2Duo (discontinued) CPU with Ivy Bridge. You can get a 3rd Gen Core i3/i5/i7.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
New Nav has a street view but not sure its Google. Based on BMW's past, it likely is. I agree street view is cute, that's all. I have little time to stop and look at street view while I'm driving. At home its fun and sometimes useful.
If it uses online google search then this would be awesome...although it's a double edged sword - what happens when no data connection??

Quote:
Why do they need a high res LCD? Until BMW decides to display uber-detailed imaging, they don't need it.
Higher res screen is always awesome!!!! Maybe not more detail but definitely more information on-screen - confession: I'm a real estate snob - using 1080p on a 13" laptop.

Quote:
Stop visiting forums. 95% of people don't cancel orders and most don't really care if they get the old Nav. As long as the Nav does what they need, they're happy.

I have a CA friend still selling 2012 7 series and he tells me that the vast majority of customers could care less about the new Nav, even the younger buyers.
Yea, fair enough but my point was really directed towards people here. Seems like some are having enough problems just getting on a boat, so this - "If my car has the old nav I'm through with this CA and ordering another" makes me

Quote:
But you can't get a Core2Duo (discontinued) CPU with Ivy Bridge. You can get a 3rd Gen Core i3/i5/i7.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-E7500-Pr.../dp/B001OVBXIC
      11-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #31
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check socket type. LGA775 for that Core2. Ivy Bridge and 2nd/3rd Gen Core CPUs use LGA1155. Just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #32
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:

Well seems to me that when BMW released this system to the 5 series and 7 first, it was obviously a priority to have the higher priced models get the upgrade first.

Many 13 3 series drivers are even more tech savvy. its a shame its not on the new 13s!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #33
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Well seems to me that when BMW released this system to the 5 series and 7 first, it was obviously a priority to have the higher priced models get the upgrade first.

Many 13 3 series drivers are even more tech savvy. its a shame its not on the new 13s!
BMW has the most margin/profit in the 7-series and 5-series, so that's why they'll include it there, first. The 7er/550i/etc. include Nav as standard, so these people spending $80K+ expect the very best. They wouldn't take it kindly to learn the $40K 328i has more features and prettier graphics. The new Nav includes several improved Office functionalities that will appeal to a 7-series buyer, like voice dictation (Dragon Drive!) and pairing for two simultaneous bluetooth phones.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

again, just makes us want the new nav even more!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #35
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
again, just makes us want the new nav even more!
Step up to the 5-series, or ActiveHybrid 3
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #36
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Step up to the 5-series, or ActiveHybrid 3
Or, just simply be ok with the current nav. Reality is regardless of new or current, the actual nav upgrade is still behind what you can get on a modern smartphone.

My motivation for wanting the new upgraded system is simply to get the faster interface. The added toys are fluff and I'd likely rarely or never use them. Siri is pretty crap, and I doubt Dragon in the car is gonna be any reinvention of speech recognition (especially if BMW is not using a high quality microphone). Anyway, my phone already has txt to speech and speech recognition built in. I hardly use it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Nope, it's very different hardware-wise. As mentioned above.
WOW.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or, just simply be ok with the current nav. Reality is regardless of new or current, the actual nav upgrade is still behind what you can get on a modern smartphone.

My motivation for wanting the new upgraded system is simply to get the faster interface. The added toys are fluff and I'd likely rarely or never use them. Siri is pretty crap, and I doubt Dragon in the car is gonna be any reinvention of speech recognition (especially if BMW is not using a high quality microphone). Anyway, my phone already has txt to speech and speech recognition built in. I hardly use it.
If you're navigating to an actual street address (i.e. 5251 Main St), then the BMW Nav does quite well. Of course it's probably not going to find the closest Boston Market as well as a smart phone. And in every day driving, Nav with HUD is substantially safer and more user friendly than trying to follow along with a smartphone, even one ghetto-mounted on your dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
WOW.
In real life, it is rather snappy. You never knew just how sluggish the current Nav is until you use one that moves/scrolls/transitions just as fast as you can move the controller.

The good news is that retrofit options should be available in the next 6-12 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #39
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're navigating to an actual street address (i.e. 5251 Main St), then the BMW Nav does quite well. Of course it's probably not going to find the closest Boston Market as well as a smart phone. And in every day driving, Nav with HUD is substantially safer and more user friendly than trying to follow along with a smartphone, even one ghetto-mounted on your dash.
I have voice nav on my phone. Included for free.

Agreed that the HUD helps safety, but there's no graphic improvement in the HUD with the new Nav.

Quote:
In real life, it is rather snappy. You never knew just how sluggish the current Nav is until you use one that moves/scrolls/transitions just as fast as you can move the controller.

The good news is that retrofit options should be available in the next 6-12 months.
Just compare to a modern tablet or smartphone and you'll know how sluggish the current Nav is. Its not horrible, but definitely requires patience.

Retrofits will be expensive and will require dealer coding that may/may not be possible. And, your new car warranty?

My take is don't rely on an upgrade (as it won't make economic sense). Be OK with the current Nav or buy a model with it (or wait till 2014).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Well claykin was able to confirm via the parts system for us a few days ago, but now we have an eyes-on-official confirmation from a US citizen/car who picked up a November build, US-spec F30 while stationed in Germany. No new Nav.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #41
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Quote:
Well claykin was able to confirm via the parts system for us a few days ago, but now we have an eyes-on-official confirmation from a US citizen/car who picked up a November build, US-spec F30 while stationed in Germany.

But but, how can we be reallllly sure?

I'm just glad this whole thing is now finally...ultimately over. Even though we've all but confirmed it a month ago.

Now everyone stop obsessing over this and go enjoy your amazing rides! I should be getting mine in a few days!!!

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #42
Kaitain
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue II F30 M Sport

I also just noticed this from my VIN decoding,

S6VAA *CIC ZUSTEUERUNG *CIC-Zusteuerung

The new NAV is labeled as NBT, IIRC, so yes, we have the old NAV thanks to BMWNA morons, even though half of the rest of the world gets the new NAV with November production. First no MSport brakes, now no new NAV. Thanks for nothing, again, BWNA.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #43
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
I also just noticed this from my VIN decoding,

S6VAA *CIC ZUSTEUERUNG *CIC-Zusteuerung

The new NAV is labeled as NBT, IIRC, so yes, we have the old NAV thanks to BMWNA morons, even though half of the rest of the world gets the new NAV with November production. First no MSport brakes, now no new NAV. Thanks for nothing, again, BWNA.
The VIN decoder cannot distinguish the two different systems: HU_CIC and HU_NBT.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #44
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

This upgrade means little. A Siri button would mean more. Car navigation is old hat that is why we have iPhones and iPads. Not to mention car manufacturers will never be able to keep up with current tech like Apple and Google. They need to use their tech in cars not try to make their own.
Appreciate 0