F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 6NR BMW Apps - Android /Ipod compatability?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

6NR BMW Apps - Android /Ipod compatability?

I'm being a bit naughty as I've also posted this over on the F10 forum but I'm after a speedy reply as I'm a bit tight for time. It's not quite as busy over there!

Got an f10 on order and on the verge of adding a couple more options before it's build is locked in.

I'm considering adding the Professional Media Package which includes 6AK (BMW Online) and 6NR (BMW Apps) I'm not after adding 6NS (Enhanced Bluetooth) at this point as I'd rather connect via USB for audio than stream it, also it looks like 6NS is codeable if I do feel I need it later.

I'm particularly liking the idea of having 'Deezer' as my main music source with the ability to play from the devices library and stream over the internet with full control /album art via idrive. I currently use Spotify both in the car and through my home Sonos setup but will switch to Deezer simply for the intergration with BMW.

All the BMW literature obviously details this all working as above and being compatable with iPhone but I'm now an Android man having got a bit bored of Apple some time ago.

Does anyone know if BMW Apps as above works via Andriod? (GS3 in particular)

My dealer can't be sure and BMW UK are none the wiser having suggested I buy a Y cable, which i think hasn't been needed for several years now?!?

I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find a definite answer. There are rumblings that BMW Apps supports Android from July '14 but its not clear whether this is full or limited functionality.

As a possible work around I have an IPod Touch I could leave in the car but teather it via WiFi to my phone for streaming. I can't see why this wouldn't work?

The only limitation being I think it's a second generation touch so I'm not sure what the highest IOS is it can take.

Can anyone answer the Android question or is anyone running a teathered iPod touch? If so what is the minimum IOS?

Thanks All
      10-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

im running a tethered iPod touch off my android.

Minimum version requirement is iOS6 which you can install on 4th generation and up.

no issues, im able to connect without a problem and I have all the functionality. Theres a writeup somewhere explaining how to do this
      10-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
im running a tethered iPod touch off my android.

Minimum version requirement is iOS6 which you can install on 4th generation and up.

no issues, im able to connect without a problem and I have all the functionality. Theres a writeup somewhere explaining how to do this
Carzaddict

Thank you very much. I was hoping this would be the case!
      10-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

I have a HTC One (AT&T/Stock/Android 4.3) and tether to my iPod Touch 5G running iOS7, and the integration works fine. I too wish BMW's iDrive system integrated better with Android from the get-go.

I mainly listen to music from my iPod Touch, but alternatively you can also bluetooth stream music from your phone.
      10-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Top stuff

Thanks, I've bitten the bullet and added the full media package to my order. Even added the enhanced bluetooth for good measure. Crazy Android isn't supported from the off, perhaps it will be before long.