F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New owner with a few questions
Extreme Powerhouse

11-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Metanoia Prime
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36/430i M Sport

Exclamation New owner with a few questions

This board is great, first of all. Seeing all the pics, tips, knowledge, and encouragement being shared is awesome.

I just picked up my 430i last night and have a few questions.

1. Is there some sort of coding / programming starter thread somewhere that would take me from start to finish? Do I need special hardware? Does it void warranty or cause issues with the dealer? First thing I want to do is code the folding mirrors.

2. Is there a way to program the two remotes to be Mine and Wifey's? As in, I always use the same remote so when I unlock with it, it recalls my seat and mirror settings? Then when she unlocks with hers, it does the same with her settings?

3. Do you guys think that $3800 package for maintenance (6yrs 100k I think) is worth considering? AFAIK they do brakes, maintenance, oil, etc. Declined it at signing but they say I can add it on later.

4. I think the dealer kept the sheet that has all my options and packages on it. Can I enter my VIN somewhere and find out, at least, what the car came with from the factory?

Any input into any of the above questions is welcome. Thank you for your time!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

There is a section on this forum about coding. You have control over MANY things - enough that you can screw things up enough to turn your car into a "decorative piece" that needs a towtruck. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429

The 2 remotes can be coded "his and hers". The dealer should have offered to walk you through that and anything else you can think of. Call them and make them earn the mark-up they got on your car.

Different people have different opinions on extended warranties. I declined.

Vin decoder - https://www.bmwvin.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

1. There is a F30 DIYs and Coding sub-section under the 3/4 series section. Check the stickied post to get started! This applies to F32/33/36 as well. Yes you do need a cable to connect your laptop to an OBD II port and there is software required. Please keep in mind to ALWAYS make backups before coding. I wouldn’t worry about folding mirrors voiding warranty; however, you are always taking a risk. As far as the dealer, it really depends on each individual dealer. My dealer does not care about small coding here and there, but I cannot say the same for you. Warranty will only be voided if the dealer can prove the problem was caused by your modification.

2. Yes, whichever remote unlocks the car. The car will automatically change your seat position (you can also use the preset buttons on the side of your seat), idrive settings, etc. Any setting you change will be saved to the fob that was used to unlock the car.

3. Personally, I am a fan and I spent the extra money. I drive my car more than the average person so I know I will get my money’s worth. I know of many others who don’t care for it. It’s a matter of if you want to pay a fixed upfront cost, or a variable delayed cost.

4. My dealer gave me a print out of a full breakdown of all of the options and package so on my car when I signed for it. I know there is a website you can enter your VIN to get the specs, I just don’t know it off the top of my head. Hopefully someone else can chime in

Here are my thoughts, hopefully it helped! Enjoy your new car!

Edit: Check post before me for vin website
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
To start with;

1) Not sure on a special thread but you do need a OBDII cable with a usb end to start coding with software of your choice or you can simply go with Carly/Bimmercode way which is easier for a starter. It really depends on your dealer, some will note it others won’t care and some even like the stuff you add. Just remember, whenever they flash the software of the car everything resets to the way car was delivered to you from the factory.

2) You can do this, all you need to do is go to the car with one of you fobs, program stuff the way you like it while the other key is out of range. After finishing repeat the same steps for your wife’s fob. Should be good to go. Remember to keep the other fob away from the car as you can’t know which one it picked up first.

3) Can’t comment as it’s kinda personal choice. I for one would have it because I like being secure with financial stuff.

4) http://www.bimmer.work is the address for you, just enter your VIN and it should display everything from which plant it was assembled to all your options that you placed during your order.

Hope these help, welcome to the BMW family

Omer
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
2) be sure to enable profiles in idrive. You can name them in the profiles settings.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
humanista
Rep
Drives: F32 MY18 440xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
To start with;

1) Not sure on a special thread but you do need a OBDII cable with a usb end to start coding with software of your choice or you can simply go with Carly/Bimmercode way which is easier for a starter. It really depends on your dealer, some will note it others won’t care and some even like the stuff you add. Just remember, whenever they flash the software of the car everything resets to the way car was delivered to you from the factory.

Omer
Bimmercode is quite easy to use and it saves backups so you can always return your car back to how you got it if you need to. The app creater is pretty responsive too.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
Metanoia Prime
Private
Rep

Thanks for the all the responses, everyone. I appreciate it. I have one more question: I just noticed that either someone bumped into it from behind or someone reversed the car into a parked car prior to me purchasing it. I was doing a walkaround and noticed that there's a screw imprinted and a small dent (from what looks like someone's front plate) near the bottom of the rear bumper. What are my odds of the dealership fixing this? It wasn't disclosed at time of purchase, but I didn't do a thorough walkaround either, being that it was already dusk when we showed up. Thoughts? Advice?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Metanoia Prime
Private
Rep

Bump. Anyone have thoughts on the above post?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metanoia Prime View Post
Bump. Anyone have thoughts on the above post?
If the damage was not discovered prior to delivery I don't know why you'd expect them to fix it, unfortunately.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
drummerlauw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i. 2020 M340i

Quote:
Thanks for the all the responses, everyone. I appreciate it. I have one more question: I just noticed that either someone bumped into it from behind or someone reversed the car into a parked car prior to me purchasing it. I was doing a walkaround and noticed that there's a screw imprinted and a small dent (from what looks like someone's front plate) near the bottom of the rear bumper. What are my odds of the dealership fixing this? It wasn't disclosed at time of purchase, but I didn't do a thorough walkaround either, being that it was already dusk when we showed up. Thoughts? Advice?
From my experience, if you cannot prove that the dealer did the damage, you're out of luck. Never hurt to ask though...Keep in mind that there is almost no easy fix with damaged plastic bumper. If it's hardly noticeable, i would just ignore it and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
congratulations on the new car and enjoy. In regard to the bumper, maybe a camera on the dealers lot in the Prep area has a shot of the rear bumper that you can ask them to review or maybe just ask them and they will fix it as a courtesy may not hurt to try.
Appreciate 0