F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Upgrade/Retrofit Plan Help
Studio RSR

06-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
needmovies
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Upgrade/Retrofit Plan Help

I'm a proud owner of a new to me 2013 328i (Dec 2012 build date). Pretty much stock everything. Only packages it has is the Cold Weather package and Comfort package I believe. Last 7 of vin: F538551

I'm trying to plan out what I want to retrofit on the car. I was just wondering if I could get some verification if it's possible or not, or if you guys think there's a better option, that way I don't waste time researching. At this point I don't really need info on exactly how to do these stuff since I am planning on researching as well.

What I'm looking to do are the following:

1. CIC 8.8" screen upgrade, or NBT Retrofit - As far as I can tell I have CIC, no navigation but it does have enhanced bluetooth. Playing with it so far I think I'm good with it and I don't 100% need/want NBT. I would like the larger screen though, which I've read is plug and play for 2014+, but I haven't seen any info for 2013s. If doing just the screen, from quick research I think the CIC 8.8" and the NBT 8.8" are the same?
1a. I would like to have Satellite radio as well, which I believe is tied to both the car and the head unit's VIN. I don't have it right now. I guess if I'm planning on doing the NBT upgrade, I should not get it coded for my current CIC so I don't have to pay twice?

2. Backup camera - lots of aftermarket options for both CIC and NBT I believe, so probably no problems here

3. 6WA/6WB Cluster - in lieu of option #4 below, I think this would be a good alternative. My problem is the way I have my seat and steering wheel positioned, I can't really see the top portion of the speedometer on traditional radial clusters. the 6WA/6WB from pics I've seen seems to be configurable to display the speed digitally on a more visible cluster
3a. I did a quick search of "BMW 6WA" on eBay and got 2 different styles, one with no numbers printed, and another with numbers printed. Also from pics of other 2013s that I've seen that supposedly had 6WA, I saw they had numbers printed on them. Am I right in assuming that the all black 6WA that's sought out for is the one from F10s? And from what I've read they'd need modding on the plastic case to fit on an F30?
3b. I need MPH, but I see a bunch of KMPH on eBay, can they be coded to display MPH or do I need to get MPH
3c. Most threads I found say I need to get a cluster with less miles that my car. I think I've seen 1 or 2 that says the miles can be cleared out via programming, can you guys confirm please?
3d. Also most 6WA retrofits I've seen are from guys with NBT, and they mention needing a MOST cable to connect to NBT. Can the 6WA be used with CIC (which would then drive my options for #1)?

4. HUD - This is the only interior electrical feature that I really would love to have as my wife's Mazda has it and I think it's really useful. It solves the problem of not being able to see the speedometer because of steering wheel position. I know this is hard to retrofit so this is probably mostly just a dream. And it might probably be cheaper to just trade in the car and buy a new one than to retrofit this. This requires 6WA as well I believe. But I'm thinking after 6WA, get a used HUD unit, either cut out the hole on the dash myself or buy a used/clean dash from a junk yard, and "accidentally" chip my car's windshield so I can get it replaced with an HUD compatible one (or just use one of those reflective stickers as a temp solution)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post
I'm a proud owner of a new to me 2013 328i (Dec 2012 build date). Pretty much stock everything. Only packages it has is the Cold Weather package and Comfort package I believe. Last 7 of vin: F538551

I'm trying to plan out what I want to retrofit on the car. I was just wondering if I could get some verification if it's possible or not, or if you guys think there's a better option, that way I don't waste time researching. At this point I don't really need info on exactly how to do these stuff since I am planning on researching as well.

What I'm looking to do are the following:

1. CIC 8.8" screen upgrade, or NBT Retrofit - As far as I can tell I have CIC, no navigation but it does have enhanced bluetooth. Playing with it so far I think I'm good with it and I don't 100% need/want NBT. I would like the larger screen though, which I've read is plug and play for 2014+, but I haven't seen any info for 2013s. If doing just the screen, from quick research I think the CIC 8.8" and the NBT 8.8" are the same?
1a. I would like to have Satellite radio as well, which I believe is tied to both the car and the head unit's VIN. I don't have it right now. I guess if I'm planning on doing the NBT upgrade, I should not get it coded for my current CIC so I don't have to pay twice?
2012-2013 CIC 8.8” CID is swappable with no issue with 2014 and 2015 NBT 8.8” CID

Buy the code for satellite radio once if planning to change to NBT.

Quote:
2. Backup camera - lots of aftermarket options for both CIC and NBT I believe, so probably no problems here

3. 6WA/6WB Cluster - in lieu of option #4 below, I think this would be a good alternative. My problem is the way I have my seat and steering wheel positioned, I can't really see the top portion of the speedometer on traditional radial clusters. the 6WA/6WB from pics I've seen seems to be configurable to display the speed digitally on a more visible cluster
3a. I did a quick search of "BMW 6WA" on eBay and got 2 different styles, one with no numbers printed, and another with numbers printed. Also from pics of other 2013s that I've seen that supposedly had 6WA, I saw they had numbers printed on them. Am I right in assuming that the all black 6WA that's sought out for is the one from F10s? And from what I've read they'd need modding on the plastic case to fit on an F30?
3b. I need MPH, but I see a bunch of KMPH on eBay, can they be coded to display MPH or do I need to get MPH
3c. Most threads I found say I need to get a cluster with less miles that my car. I think I've seen 1 or 2 that says the miles can be cleared out via programming, can you guys confirm please?
3d. Also most 6WA retrofits I've seen are from guys with NBT, and they mention needing a MOST cable to connect to NBT. Can the 6WA be used with CIC (which would then drive my options for #1)?
You are making this too complicated.

There is a 6WB for the F30 series now.

You need coding as well.

Contact steve@codemybimmer for a 6WB retrofit. He can do NBT or simply Sirius ar same time.

Quote:
4. HUD - This is the only interior electrical feature that I really would love to have as my wife's Mazda has it and I think it's really useful. It solves the problem of not being able to see the speedometer because of steering wheel position. I know this is hard to retrofit so this is probably mostly just a dream. And it might probably be cheaper to just trade in the car and buy a new one than to retrofit this. This requires 6WA as well I believe. But I'm thinking after 6WA, get a used HUD unit, either cut out the hole on the dash myself or buy a used/clean dash from a junk yard, and "accidentally" chip my car's windshield so I can get it replaced with an HUD compatible one (or just use one of those reflective stickers as a temp solution)

Thanks
As noted, the HUD takes a lot of cosmetic work. Uninstalling a dashboard and getting a new on in right damn near impossible for most.

Figure at least 8-9 hours of labor at a Dealership to replace dash (and they know what they are doing). So figure you are into about $2k on Dashboard, not including windshield (Insurance Fraud is very bad), HUD Parts and coding.

Dream on.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

For a HUD retrofit you don't need a new dash, you can cut the HUD space out, what you do need is a NEW front window that has the HUD option
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
needmovies
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneyer View Post
For a HUD retrofit you don't need a new dash, you can cut the HUD space out, what you do need is a NEW front window that has the HUD option
yep I've read about cutting it and there's a trim piece to put on there so it looks nice. If I could find a template I can print out, I agree this would be a good (cheaper) way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
2012-2013 CIC 8.8” CID is swappable with no issue with 2014 and 2015 NBT 8.8” CID

Buy the code for satellite radio once if planning to change to NBT.
Sweet good to know. So I guess (assuming I'm keeping CIC), grab 8.8" CID, reuse same cables, code for the higher resolution, good to go?

Quote:
You are making this too complicated.

There is a 6WB for the F30 series now.

You need coding as well.

Contact steve@codemybimmer for a 6WB retrofit. He can do NBT or simply Sirius ar same time.
Yep I've read about the 6WB as well. Quick eBay search though they look expensive compared to 6WA. It might be worth it though just so I don't have to mod the housing to fit.

Any thoughts on what year these started showing up? I'll check car-part to see if there are any affordable used ones.

And I guess same with the 6WA, aim is to get one with lower miles?

Lastly, would you be able to confirm please if 6WA/6WB requires NBT? Or would I be able to hook them up with just CIC? If I can use them with CIC, I think the 6WB plus the 8.8 for CIC and I'd be all set since I'm not really interested with the new stuff from NBT.

Quote:
As noted, the HUD takes a lot of cosmetic work. Uninstalling a dashboard and getting a new on in right damn near impossible for most.

Figure at least 8-9 hours of labor at a Dealership to replace dash (and they know what they are doing). So figure you are into about $2k on Dashboard, not including windshield (Insurance Fraud is very bad), HUD Parts and coding.

Dream on.
Thanks for confirming. I was pretty much thinking this. I was reading through the thread for retrofitting the HUD and they had to cut apart a lot of stuff, not just the dash. I guess I'll just hold off for this until I upgrade to a different car in 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

You already have a 6WA instrument panel.

The digital 6WB became an option in select 2018 vehicles. Lots of luck finding a crashed 2018 that is being parted out and one of the few with this option.

Both the 6WA (which you have now) and 6WB can work with either CIC or NBT.

As you were unaware you already had a 6WA cluster, I strongly advise you to get help from a forum sponsor on this before you make some serious and expensive mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
needmovies
Rep

Quote:
You already have a 6WA instrument panel.

The digital 6WB became an option in select 2018 vehicles. Lots of luck finding a crashed 2018 that is being parted out and one of the few with this option.

Both the 6WA (which you have now) and 6WB can work with either CIC or NBT.

As you were unaware you already had a 6WA cluster, I strongly advise you to get help from a forum sponsor on this before you make some serious and expensive mistakes.
Awesome thanks for the info, specially for the 6WA/6WB working with CIC. And yes by 6WA I was thinking the full LCD from an F10 described here

So far it sounds like I'll aim for an F30 6WB, keep my CIC, get an 8.8" screen, and call it a day for interior stuff

And yes I will be bugging some of the more knowledgeable guys once I get into the actual part buying and DIY.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
needmovies
Rep

Quote:
You already have a 6WA instrument panel

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a quick clarification. This is what I have, full analog with analog MPG. What model number is this one, with larger digital sections inside the analog gauges?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi, I was wondering if I could get a quick clarification. This is what I have, full analog with analog MPG. What model number is this one, with larger digital sections inside the analog gauges?
Both 6WA from different f30 lines
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
needmovies
Rep

Quote:
Both 6WA from different f30 lines
you are awesome thank you sir

So would that Modern Line be plug/play with my full Analog cluster (besides coding I'm assuming)? Or does it require extra parts/cables (ie. MOST if I don't have one)?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you are awesome thank you sir

So would that Modern Line be plug/play with my full Analog cluster (besides coding I'm assuming)? Or does it require extra parts/cables (ie. MOST if I don't have one)?
I feel like a drug dealer here.

You are going to do serious damage to your car.

Please get professional help from steve@codemybimmer

Your questions prove this is beyond what you should do.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
needmovies
Rep

Quote:

well I'm sorry for being a first time BMW owner. everyone starts somewhere, right? I'm assuming you weren't born as a BMW expert yourself?

like I said, I'm still researching and learning on the way. I do plan on asking for professional help when I get to that point. I just don't want to bother the pros for silly questions like this.

I came from an Audi which doesn't have as much options as a BMW as far as I can tell. Certainly not 3+ different kinds of clusters all called the same "6WA" name
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

well I'm sorry for being a first time BMW owner. everyone starts somewhere, right? I'm assuming you weren't born as a BMW expert yourself?

like I said, I'm still researching and learning on the way. I do plan on asking for professional help when I get to that point. I just don't want to bother the pros for silly questions like this.

I came from an Audi which doesn't have as much options as a BMW as far as I can tell. Certainly not 3+ different kinds of clusters all called the same "6WA" name
Smart people don't "start" doing this.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2018, 01:22 AM   #13
KingpinRCR
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 320d ed

Ik6speed is right, it seems like this is way over your head to do yourself (no offence).
On top of that, I think it’s going to be a lot cheaper if you sold your car and used the money to buy another with all those options. Those retrofits are going to be very expensive...
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4487.00