F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Switch songs via steering wheel?
proTUNING Freaks

12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
woderd
Private
Rep
Drives: boat

Switch songs via steering wheel?

I have my ipod plugged in the car and I notice I can switch songs from the dash (this is very annoying having to reach over when changeling songs)

Is there a way to switch songs using the steering wheel? I notice if I use the right roller it just shows the name of the same and if I press it then it repeats the song.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
marseille82
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woderd
I have my ipod plugged in the car and I notice I can switch songs from the dash (this is very annoying having to reach over when changeling songs)

Is there a way to switch songs using the steering wheel? I notice if I use the right roller it just shows the name of the same and if I press it then it repeats the song.
If you scroll the roller it should show you the list of songs on the HUD, then you could select the one you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
woderd
Private
Rep
Drives: boat

I dont have the tech package, but it should work the same way below the speedo being the song comes up there if I hit the scroller
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:

Is this because thats the only song in that folder in the ipod? I hate it when itunes just places a song in what folder it thinks it should be in. Very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:

Is this because thats the only song in that folder in the ipod? I hate it when itunes just places a song in what folder it thinks it should be in. Very annoying.
Or, maybe he has a selection on the song list that is too narrow. If you enter enough criteria to isolate a single song in your search, then you will only be able to select the single song from the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
ChadR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

I have the same problem - seems like an integration problem. My 2009 335 would do the same thing - sometimes the song list would show up and sometimes it would only show 1 song on the idrive. I am going to check iOS version and do a bit of testing to see if there is any specific element that might be causing it but I may just switch over to a flash drive for my music depending on how it works. Honestly it would take up less space in a rather small armrest storage as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
chriskd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

In my quick diagnosis, I find that when I initially select a Playlist from idrive, it will show all the songs in that playlist in the HUD - and I can scroll and select songs within that Playlist. However, once I turn OFF my car and restart, the HUD only shows the current song that is playing. In order to get the full list again, I need to reselect the Playlist.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woderd View Post

If you have the advanced USB (I forget if it's 6NR or something else) and nav (so you also have voice control), try this:

1. Say, "New search". System responds with something like, "All categories have been reset. Choose a category or say, 'start playback'."
2. Say, "Play." DO NOT SAY "Start playback."

This took me nearly forever to figure out, but the difference between "Play" (a menu item) and "Start playback" (a voice-only command) is the difference between resetting what iDrive thinks is the playlist and adding to the playlist.

IOW, if a song is playing and I start a new search with voice commands to select a song by title, "start" plays that song immediately and "start playback" returns to the song that was playing and adds the song I searched for to the playlist.

Or at least I think this how it works. I sure wish BMW documented the difference between something that appears on the screen during a search that can be voiced (like the "play" command) and a voice-only command (like "start playback.")
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

The op's original question was regarding the lack of a true skip or next button on the steering wheel like there was on the e90 (and most cars). In order to just skip to the next song you have to hit the scroll wheel, scroll down one song, then hit wheel again. It was a lot easier to just hit skip on e90. Also I found that when I'm playing my iPod on random you can't use the wheel to skip at all. It will only scroll in order and not randomly. So while the wheel adds some functionality especially with HUD, they removed some basic functionality (and safety now that u have to reach across the dash).