F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Driving in Feb 8th Blizzard!
GetBMWParts

02-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
cokeman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
Those Hankooks are what they now sell as "all weather" tires. There are a few others out there as well, the Nokian WR and the Yokohama W Drive. They have the snowflake rating like a true winter tire but are meant to be left on the car all year round. There is some compromise compared to a dedicated winter tire and they generally lack some of the handling and ride characteristics of a regular all season tire in the warmer months, but they can be quite good alternative for folks that don't want to switch tires every season.
Like anything designed to be multipurpose they are not perfect in every situation. I put them on a week after I got the car last June and I would rate them 9 out of 10 for summer use. I like them a lot more than the Pirelli run flats that came on the car. As far as winter goes I'd give them 8 out of 10 compared to dedicated winter tires I have owned on other cars. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 and I would put them on it too but they don't make the right size for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
Those Hankooks are what they now sell as "all weather" tires. There are a few others out there as well, the Nokian WR and the Yokohama W Drive. They have the snowflake rating like a true winter tire but are meant to be left on the car all year round. There is some compromise compared to a dedicated winter tire and they generally lack some of the handling and ride characteristics of a regular all season tire in the warmer months, but they can be quite good alternative for folks that don't want to switch tires every season.
Trouble is that a winter tire will stop 20-30 feet faster than an all season tire and a summer will stop 20-30 ft faster than all season...from 30 mph! In an unavoidable emergency situation 30 feet is HUGE. To me, in Canada, its irresponsible to not have dedicated winter tires. Spend $30,000++++++++ on a car and don't run the proper equipment is wrong.....imho. By running winter tires your summers last twice as long.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
cokeman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Trouble is that a winter tire will stop 20-30 feet faster than an all season tire and a summer will stop 20-30 ft faster than all season...from 30 mph! In an unavoidable emergency situation 30 feet is HUGE. To me, in Canada, its irresponsible to not have dedicated winter tires. Spend $30,000++++++++ on a car and don't run the proper equipment is wrong.....imho. By running winter tires your summers last twice as long.
Hmmmmmm. I can't really argue with that. However, I live 3 minutes from work and its a level drive. No grades at all. My second vehicle is a 4x4 Jeep so I don't even really need to drive it at all in bad weather. I got these tires instead of dedicated snows because the car is leased and will be returned before 80000 km. These tires are rated for 64k so i figure when these wear out I'll put the stock run flats back on and return the car a few months after. BMW requires specific brand name runflats on the car at lease return, so I should be ok with slightly used stockers.

I also avoided the extra expense of a second set of wheels and sensors or seasonal mount/dismount of the snows. I also mentioned previously that I was very impressed with how my car performed with these tires in summer and winter. I don't street race my car or take it to track days. I just tour around in it. I'm not sure why more people don't take this route.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #26
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Totally agree with you, which is why I run a set of dedicated winter tires.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0