F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rants & Raves of 1st Time BMW Owner
Extreme Powerhouse

04-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #23
wakebord99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereh View Post
The only thing I struggle w my car is this;

I park the car, turn it off, get out of my car and try to open the backdoor to grab my bag.... the back doors don't unlock when I open the driver side door so as a result I have to dive into my pocket to find the damn FOB to unlock it...

Every single time I get out of my car I run into this and each time I forget to hit the center console unlock button....
I agree. Car in Park = Unlock all doors should be default behavior. Can't tell you how many times i've had to dig in my pocket for the FOB, plus the unlock button ISN'T ON THE DAMN DOOR !!! so it's either get back in the car to unlock or dig for the FOB.

Sometimes more complicated <> better!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

I park the car, turn it off, get out of my car and try to open the backdoor to grab my bag.... the back doors don't unlock when I open the driver side door so as a result I have to dive into my pocket to find the damn FOB to unlock it...

Every single time I get out of my car I run into this and each time I forget to hit the center console unlock button....
Yeah--I hate this. I don't know why there's not a standard option to unlock all doors when the car goes into park, like most other cars on the road today.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #25
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What I just learned this weekend was that if you lightly touch the button the iDrive system shows you what the shortcut is set to.
Shame on your CA for not showing you this when you picked up your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima856 View Post
I figured after owning a 428i X-Drive Sport, I'd share my thoughts about the experience. They're not intended to defy the opinions (good or bad) or thoughts of others - and perhaps sharing will enlighten me of my user-error =)

1. Rave: Suspension. I can't put my finger on why I love it.

2. Rant: Turning the car off. I realize I can hit the ignition button a second time with my foot off the break pedal, however, I'd prefer the radio shuts off when I open my door.

3. Rave: The brotherhood of BMW owners. Be it an older model or new, there seems to be a kindred spirit amongst owners that is similar to motorcyclists.

4. Rave: BMW corporate stands behind the dealership. I'll simply say throughout the purchasing process, there was an oversight and without "passing the buck" BMW corporate stood up and placed forth corrective action SWIFTLY.

5. Rave: Yep, I got the IBEX protection package - at bargain basement price. One of the dealership managers was honest that the value behind the product was the warranty more than the application. For the paint, that's great - and even more the leather. I've owned many different brands all with different color leathers and I've seen stains develop in a day (from, ie; new jeans). Odors develop from the gym, lol - and leather dry out much quicker than expected.

6. Rant: The iDrive system. I think that's what the knob and display is called. I think it has great potential but I would like to see more customizable features on how it responds and when it displays information relevant to "whatever". Ie; perhaps instead of listing a list of radio channels, it could go to the channel information after a 30 seconds.

7. Wish: The driver/user could easily adjust steering ratio & tightness despite factory settings.

That's it!
I was expecting another one of those useless rants, but I pretty much agree with what you said.

I love the iDrive too, but as a software engineer I find that there is a good margin of improvement in the ergonomics of the GUI. Mostly I find it inconsistent, depending on which module you are in. Also moving the knob to the left, and the "back" button under the knob, are redundant and their meaning sometimes changes depending on where you're at in iDrive. This is very annoying. And I would like to see a true "apps" ecosystem and not the half-assed system BMW has built into iDrive lately. I want to be able to start apps from shortcuts and not have to dig into several menus. Also I would like to see third-party apps in there and a free development library for third-party devs to contribute to the ecosystem. However, I understand that there are potential safety considerations in doing that. I have no doubt it will happen one day. And finally the option to run the recent car-enabled OSes from Apple and others.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #27
Alan_NJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi MSport

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebord99 View Post
I agree. Car in Park = Unlock all doors should be default behavior. Can't tell you how many times i've had to dig in my pocket for the FOB, plus the unlock button ISN'T ON THE DAMN DOOR !!! so it's either get back in the car to unlock or dig for the FOB.

Sometimes more complicated <> better!
This is indeed ridiculous!
But at least with comfort access you dont have to reach into the car again to unlock, just dip a finger in the front door handle and all unlock.

To that end, the back door handles should have the same sensors in them!

2014 335i xdrive MSport AW/CR, SAT, Prem, Tech, HK, DHP, MPPK, MPE, NWA, KMFDM, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #28
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_NJ View Post
That luxury is for those who get something higher than a 3 Series sadly.

We're too poor to be able to enjoy such a feature apparently.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #29
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I want to be able to start apps from shortcuts and not have to dig into several menus. Also I would like to see third-party apps in there and a free development library for third-party devs to contribute to the ecosystem.
What they need to do is redesign IDrive to run on Android with touch and controller inputs. That said, IDrive is really good, just takes a bit to learn as it has so many features. If you're new to it, just take some time, read the manual, play with it......once you are familiar with it it gets really intuitive.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #30
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:

+1 ! BMW, are you listening?

Anybody know if coding can let all doors unlock when turning off car?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #31
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

In the UK, it's an option in idrive under doors/key or whatever it is
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #32
wakebord99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
We have a similar option to unlock/lock all doors with the push of 1 button, however you still need to push the button. It doesn't unlock all doors when you turn the car off.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #33
wakebord99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
What they need to do is redesign IDrive to run on Android with touch and controller inputs. That said, IDrive is really good, just takes a bit to learn as it has so many features. If you're new to it, just take some time, read the manual, play with it......once you are familiar with it it gets really intuitive.
+1 On this business

Heck just give me an option to replicate my android screen on the I-Drive. Car companies need to stop thinking they know more about tech than tech companies.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #34
Maxima856
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 428i X-Drive M Sport

Rave: GPS. It's the best I've used on a regular basis compared to various smartphone & different vehicles.

Rant: Atari Thumb. I actually enjoy the iDrive, and iWant mORE =)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #35
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Mostly I find it inconsistent, depending on which module you are in.
They put a very similar system in my wife's Mini...except a clockwise turn of the dial moves UP the screen. How could they do that?!??!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #36
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

Don't think I have this door locking issue with my 328. In settings I turned OFF the lock when driving feature so since I don't typically lock the doors they are unlocked when I exit the car, all of them. Also, when I hit the button on the remote I have it set to unlock all doors.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #37
Freudenfahrer
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

I saw it in the coding cheat sheet, but I have not tried it myself to see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #38
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel328 View Post
Don't think I have this door locking issue with my 328. In settings I turned OFF the lock when driving feature so since I don't typically lock the doors they are unlocked when I exit the car, all of them. Also, when I hit the button on the remote I have it set to unlock all doors.
Same here. Having the doors auto-lock always seemed like a bit of excess paranoia to me. But I don't regularly drive through rough areas of a major metro downtown so maybe some people have a good reason for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:22 AM   #39
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Same here. Having the doors auto-lock always seemed like a bit of excess paranoia to me. But I don't regularly drive through rough areas of a major metro downtown so maybe some people have a good reason for it.
It is very good at stopping people stealing things from the back.

Here you might be stationary at lights or in traffic, someone hanging around for cars with stuff visible in back, will open rear door, take bag, iPad, etc and do a runner.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:50 AM   #40
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebord99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
We have a similar option to unlock/lock all doors with the push of 1 button, however you still need to push the button. It doesn't unlock all doors when you turn the car off.
Ahh ok, on my F31, the doors do unlock when I turn the car off
      04-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #41
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebord99 View Post

Sometimes more complicated &lt;> better!
This is indeed ridiculous!
But at least with comfort access you dont have to reach into the car again to unlock, just dip a finger in the front door handle and all unlock.

You gentlemen do know that you can program all doors to unlock in the settings menu right?

Also, the central locking button at the top of the dash is pure BMW heritage. It's almost like the (German guys name, spelling) kink in the back window.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #42
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

i too love the iDrive but from experience you need to be aware of what settings are in your 'Route Criteria'. Over the last weekend I had a very scenic (and exciting) drive through the middle of the UK following the iDrive rather than using my common sense and knowledge and sticking to the motorways - some idiot (probably me!) had put Eco in the route criteria settings and it was taking me the shortest and most economical route - rather than the more sensible and quicker route along the motorway.

However, as daughter and missus both pointed out - there was some beautiful scenery.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #43
Alan_NJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi MSport

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
You gentlemen do know that you can program all doors to unlock in the settings menu right?

Also, the central locking button at the top of the dash is pure BMW heritage. It's almost like the (German guys name, spelling) kink in the back window.
No, you cant.
You can program it so that the remote unlocks all the doors, but there is nowhere to set it so when you put it in park (or perhaps even open the drivers door) that all doors unlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
That luxury is for those who get something higher than a 3 Series sadly.

We're too poor to be able to enjoy such a feature apparently.
Hah! So it would seem.
I have a 535 as a loaner today and, sure enough, sensors are in the front and back door handles.

Oh well

2014 335i xdrive MSport AW/CR, SAT, Prem, Tech, HK, DHP, MPPK, MPE, NWA, KMFDM, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #44
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_NJ View Post
No, you cant.
You can program it so that the remote unlocks all the doors, but there is nowhere to set it so when you put it in park (or perhaps even open the drivers door) that all doors unlock.
Agreed, but if you look at the string of posts that he was replying to, I think that's what he meant.
Appreciate 0