F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension: knocking sounds over minor bumps
Studio RSR

08-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #177
batty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330D

I've not been back to the dealer, it's not perfect, but have learnt to live with it.
The bush is the rubber or soft component between the metallic suspension component and the metallic sub-frame.
      09-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #178
GuiltyNL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31

Understood. I think I have the same issue.

Mostly hearable when taking faster left corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #179
Jord0301
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
  [0.00]
I had this issue on my 1 series with VSS and adaptive.

Replaced the steering rack - noise gone......until about 1000 miles later when it was back to square 1.

BMW said it was normal although couldn't pin point the issue?

have learnt to live with it since.....hope my new 335 doesn't do the same
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:29 AM   #180
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord0301 View Post
I had this issue on my 1 series with VSS and adaptive.

Replaced the steering rack - noise gone......until about 1000 miles later when it was back to square 1.

BMW said it was normal although couldn't pin point the issue?

have learnt to live with it since.....hope my new 335 doesn't do the same
that's unacceptable. it's not normal. tell them to use chassis ears to find the noise.

I'm sort in the same boat. i've had them replaced the swivel joint, steering rack and front left strut. noise is 70% gone but still there. very easy to replicate for me. just drive over a speed bump, if possible, one wheel at a time which will at least help narrow the problem area. my case, front left.

i'm going back to the dealer to get them to fix once and for all. someone who is a BMW tech told me he had the same problem and advised that i keep bitching about it to them until it is resolved. customer feedback and satisfaction is huge for the dealer; if feedbacks are poor, they loose out on funding from BMW NA and bonus at end of year. so if you're not happy, let them know.

also, the same tech told me i can always escalate with BMW NA if problem isnt resolved.

no one should learn to live with any problems.
Appreciate 1
BnB179.50
      08-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #181
Blown Blue
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

bump
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #182
sjacie040
Rep
Drives: X3 2019

according to a dutch forum, BMW finally recognised the issue with the adaptive suspension and recently released a software update for this. Drivers with the issue who had all rubbers/dampers/etc replaced and still having the issue, got it solved with this new firmware apparently.
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns492.50
      10-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #183
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjacie040
according to a dutch forum, BMW finally recognised the issue with the adaptive suspension and recently released a software update for this. Drivers with the issue who had all rubbers/dampers/etc replaced and still having the issue, got it solved with this new firmware apparently.
Anyone know about this software update being available in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #184
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I solved it by fitting ACS springs, no knocking sounds when going over speed humps since!
Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      10-06-2016, 04:57 AM   #185
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjacie040 View Post
Yes - I can confirm the FW update has sorted the problem on my M135i.
I had this issue since day 1 and was told that it was a feature and not a problem. My car recently went in for its end of warranty checkup and they told me they had a software fix for the knocking suspension. I was very sceptical to say the least. Thankfully they were correct and now after 3 years of knocking over speed bumps, my car is perfectly quiet with not the slightest knocking sound. It is even quieter over rough mottled roads.

I never thought that software could have solved the problem!!!
Appreciate 1
Gabreigns492.50
      10-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #186
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjacie040 View Post
I had this issue since day 1 and was told that it was a feature and not a problem. My car recently went in for its end of warranty checkup and they told me they had a software fix for the knocking suspension. I was very sceptical to say the least. Thankfully they were correct and now after 3 years of knocking over speed bumps, my car is perfectly quiet with not the slightest knocking sound. It is even quieter over rough mottled roads.

Sweet! I will follow up with my SA.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #187
sjacie040
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post

was this a full software update for the car or only the specific damper module??
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #188
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjacie040
Quote:

was this a full software update for the car or only the specific damper module??
Good question! Curious about this. Would hate to recode the car if it wipes it all off.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2016, 06:11 AM   #189
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

I sometimes feel I can force this noise to appear at the front by going over speed bumps. Going over the speed bump will cause a number of subsequent noises on the downslope and the first yard or so of flat that seem to bear no real relation to the road. The best I can describe it is that if it was coming from the rear, I would think there is something moving around in the boot. It is a bit inconsistent. It sometimes feels that, once provoked, it will be lurking for the rest of the journey. I've got Adaptive, May 13 build. Presumably, if a firmware update is fixing it, dealers are not going to spend hours troubleshooting if you report these sorts of intermittently reproducible noises?

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #190
BimmerSkunk
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
I sometimes feel I can force this noise to appear at the front by going over speed bumps. Going over the speed bump will cause a number of subsequent noises on the downslope and the first yard or so of flat that seem to bear no real relation to the road. The best I can describe it is that if it was coming from the rear, I would think there is something moving around in the boot. It is a bit inconsistent. It sometimes feels that, once provoked, it will be lurking for the rest of the journey. I've got Adaptive, May 13 build. Presumably, if a firmware update is fixing it, dealers are not going to spend hours troubleshooting if you report these sorts of intermittently reproducible noises?
I hope they don't. I'm going in for this on Friday - it's very easy to reproduce, so if they tell me they aren't able to again I'm going to be livid.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #191
Posull78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

How did they know to do a software update or at least try it?
I have the same issue, called my local BMW service department, and they don't see anything (eg service bulletin). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #192
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

My dealer has confirmed that there is now a software 'fix ' for M Sport adaptive suspension. Apparently they've installed it on a couple of M140s and it's worked.

Mine will be updated when it goes in for the bumper replacement.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #193
Posull78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
My dealer has confirmed that there is now a software 'fix ' for M Sport adaptive suspension. Apparently they've installed it on a couple of M140s and it's worked.

Mine will be updated when it goes in for the bumper replacement.
Great news! Hope it works for you!
Any chance you can find out from your dealer if there is a service bulletin out for this? My dealer can't find anything, trying to point him in the right direction.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #194
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posull78 View Post
Great news! Hope it works for you!
Any chance you can find out from your dealer if there is a service bulletin out for this? My dealer can't find anything, trying to point him in the right direction.

Thanks
I've emailed my dealer - will let you know if anything further comes back, i.e. a PUMA reference or software serial number.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:19 AM   #195
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Hi All,
I am not sure if it's a full software update or just specific to the module which controls the suspension as I had to get a full update on mine due to bluetooth issues (And yes - I lost all my coding bits and pieces into the bargain and my nav got returned to 2013-1) When I asked about a fix for the knocking suspension at the end of warranty check, the dealer was quite adamant that this software fix would sort it. I got the impression that this was a well documented fix due to their optimism.
My car is a F21 though (not F30) so not sure if the fix is model specific.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #196
sjacie040
Rep

I had my car checked yesterday by my dealer (testdrive where he concluded that suspension didn't sound too good) and I have a follow-up appointment for next week friday where he indicated that there most probably will be new software programmed for the suspension. I asked if this was a full update for the car or just the 'suspension' module, but he couldn't tell me straight away as this could be depending on the current software level of the car. Will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #197
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport/F30 320d Lux

F33 with adaptive suspension

Hi, just seen the long thread on adaptive suspension issues that seems to be rectified by software update.

I'm collecting my 66 plate F33 with adaptive suspension this Sunday, is there anyway of finding out if the software is already updated?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #198
sjacie040
Rep

as the (dutch) dealer do not update software by default, the car still might be on the factory software level. As this update is pretty new, likely it is not yet installed. But the dealer can check this via their diagnose tooling.
Appreciate 1