F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Buyers remorse, regretting passing over the S4 in favor of 335
ARMA SPEED

06-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #67
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I do like the fact that bmw is positioning the 340i as a more focused performance model in the upcoming g20 generation.
Without getting in the "M" debate, to clarify this idea: The current 340i M Sport with the track handling package is just as focused on performance as the upcoming G20 340i.

The F30 simply had a "base" version available to reach the most number of customers. The G20 will get rid of that "base" 340i.

What remains to be seen is the M Division's involvement with the M340i. Is it merely a collection of parts from the M Division bin (much like the current M Performance accessories), or a more hands-on approach?

Interestingly, Audi has already blurred the lines a long time ago with the S car variants. They have their own high performance division called "Audi Sport GmbH" which produces the RS cars along with the R8 and only one A4: The european DTM edition and one S4: the 25quattro (which I had). They produce "S Line" parts and accessories much like the M Division makes M Performance accessories.
I fully understand that the f30 can be had with performance based options and packages. My current 435i gc is optioned this way, and it's a much different driving experience from a base f30 335i. I'm sure the lci 340i offers an even further improved experience. That's actually been my point. As you also pointed out, the f30 3-series, including the 335/340i, can be optioned to suit nearly all tastes. It can be just as suitable for a grandmother as it can be for a driving enthusiast.

I realize that the g20 won't really be offering anything new that can't be had on a current f30, as spec'd for performance. The g20 will however make it less likely that someone like me will ignorantly order the grandmother's 340i instead of the sport sedan I thought I was getting. In my mind, Audi has always marketed the S-cars as being somewhat more focused on being sport sedans. Whether they succeeded is the subject of another debate. If the g20, and upcoming m3/4 are disappointing, I suppose there's always the Stinger
The Stinger is an 340i and S4 competitor, it's not in the same class as the M3/4 despite its impressive 0-60. M cars have always been more than just the 0-60 and straight line speed. One merely has to look at the M2 vs M240i comparisons. While the Stinger is impressive for a first outing as a high performance sedan, it still has a lot of issues to sort out especially at the limit. We are at a golden age of the ICE with forced induction for better or worse allowing even pedestrian road cars the level of power and torque once reserved for supercars of the past. The true test of high performance fortitude is meeting and exceeding benchmarks outside straight line speed that big number power and torque alone can't resolve.
You guys might be selling the stinger a bit short imo. I certainly see it as a direct competitor, and possibly superior to the m3, with which it most closely competes. I won't even debate the superiority of the Stinger vs grocery-getters like the 340i, S4, and others of their ilk......no, I'm just joking

No, I agree in that hp and straight line speed is only satisfying to a degree, let alone its usefulness if you track your car (I don't). A 335i with its humble 300hp, and 4.5-5 s 0-60 is more than enough power to get one into trouble imo. What does someone do with something like a dodge hellcat? I'm not judging those who like the car, Im just using it as an extreme example of a car that's focused on straight line power above all else. I can't imagine where I'd be able to really let that car "stretch its legs". I suppose even the hellcat isn't all straight line speed, it also offers the character that comes with driving a car with a 6.2L v8, if you're a v8 aficionado. Even then, I think superchargers sort of ruin the v8 sound with that whine imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #68
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
340i > S4 on the asphalt first-hand experience. S4 is a paper prince. Double wishbone did not help it.
You're still talking about a 340i lol. Regardless, here's some real world testing on top of what I've already explained. The S4 has:

Faster 0-60
Faster Quartermile
Shorter Braking
Faster Figure 8
Higher G limit

And that's against the RWD 335i. the X-drive would be closer in 0-60 but everything else would be worse. My only assumption is if your "first-hand experience" means you drove them back to back and got slower times in the S4, then you weren't driving it right to maximize it's potential. If you just mean roll racing then that's irrelevant.

Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #69
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
You're still talking about a 340i lol. Regardless, here's some real world testing on top of what I've already explained. The S4 has:

Faster 0-60
Faster Quartermile
Shorter Braking
Faster Figure 8
Higher G limit

And that's against the RWD 335i. the X-drive would be closer in 0-60 but everything else would be worse. My only assumption is if your "first-hand experience" means you drove them back to back and got slower times in the S4, then you weren't driving it right to maximize it's potential. If you just mean roll racing then that's irrelevant.
The s4 was also not running all season tires, and they are a bigger size so I wonder what kind of difference that made in the numbers.
      06-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #70
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

great way to feel better is to switch 335 to m3

Did you buy from Carmax? Take it back and get s4
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #71
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkles View Post
The s4 was also not running all season tires, and they are a bigger size so I wonder what kind of difference that made in the numbers.
True on the all-season part, but tire sizes they used are OEM spec. That's why I commented on the small 225s our cars come with. No doubt adding an LSD and wider summer tires would help the F30, but I'm strictly speaking stock vs stock.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #72
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Anyone know how the 2018 S4 compares to the current 340i? My fiance is totally against Audi, but I like the idea of an S
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #73
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ano0oj View Post
Anyone know how the 2018 S4 compares to the current 340i? My fiance is totally against Audi, but I like the idea of an S
3L single turbo V6. 354hp/369. Not bad.

A though I do dislike the design route audi is heading down these days. The a/s/RS5 models kind of hideous in the nose.

I'll return to the rings for an RS6 wagon or s/rs7
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00