F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake Fluid
Extreme Powerhouse

05-10-2023, 03:01 AM   #1
Stampe
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 lci 340i

Brake Fluid

Hi all

I want to be able to go to a trackday with my f30 340i . brake roters and pads change to Zimmermann sport roters and ebc yellow pads. I am on standard brake fluid dot4.

Do i need to go for castrol srf or motul 600 to go ontrack ?

I have been reading that the ABSs and DSC system need a low viscosity brakefluid ?

Castrol srf is silecone based is that at problem while the standard is not ?

Please help

Links to some site regarding castrol / motul

https://overdriveautotuning.com/blog...omparison-2019

https://trackmanual.com/blog/best-br...-srf-vs-rbf660
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 01:25 AM   #2
Stampe
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Hi
Im i asking the wrong way ? or dont any have any experience ?
Please give a input.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 06:57 AM   #3
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

When did you last change out the brake fluid?

If it's been a while, or you don't know, I would go ahead and do it, regardless of what fluid you use.

You don't NEED those brake fluids for a track day, but it's recommended. Can't comment on the SRF, but I use motul 600.
Appreciate 1
Stampe17.50
      05-12-2023, 11:50 AM   #4
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

What track?

Also, this answers some of your questions about different types of fluids:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us...e-Fluid-Types/
Appreciate 1
Stampe17.50
      05-14-2023, 06:58 AM   #5
Stampe
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Hi superlomi thanks for your input. it 2 years ago so i will change. Just didt know if i need race fluid or i there is any drawback by using srf or motul 600.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 06:59 AM   #6
Stampe
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

thanks charlie fairmont. I am now wiser

Last edited by Stampe; 05-14-2023 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 03:40 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Several things to remember and/or be aware of :

The BMW F3X is not a lightweight track car. If you are doing a ‘proper’ track day the tyres and brakes will be working very hard to control the mass of the car.

I use ATE Dot 4 fluid and it’s always been fine - I’ve never had a problem with the fluid boiling.

Unless EBC has done something miraculous with its Yellow compound I’d change your pads for something much more capable. I used Yellow Stuff on track once and the pads literally melted/disintegrated in just a few laps. I’ve used Pagid since then (RSL1 / RS29) and they’ve been brilliant. High metal content pads like these do squeal at low speeds in daily driving, but that’s one of the trade-offs. The stopping power, modulation, and lack of fade has been impressive.

Road tyres, even ultra high performance tyres such as Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (which I run on my car), will go off fairly quickly (i.e. a few laps if the circuit has a lot of fast corners and hard braking zones) and you’ll need to modulate your driving and/or bring the car in to the pits to cool.

Do use cool down laps to reduce the temperature of your brakes (especially) before returning to the pits. You want to try to avoid heat soak in to the brake fluid.

When you bring the car in to the pits do leave the engine running while the car is parked (continuously circulating oil prevents the turbo bearings cooking/coking) and, if you have an auto transmission, just leave it in P. Not applying the parking brake means that the brake shoes in the parking brake drum can’t bind due to heat.

Take time to familiarise yourself with the track and build-up your speed gradually as you work on the car’s dynamics through the racing line (not that you’ll be racing). These sessions are about having fun and increasing your understanding of the capabilities of your car, safely. It’s not F1 or Indy 500. Other drivers, if they’ve been briefed properly, will drive sensibly and give you space. If you feel that a driver(s) are driving aggressively (i.e. tailgating or undertaking into corners) you can have a word with the track day staff.

Do a few laps at a time and give yourself, and your car, plenty of breaks to recover and to reflect on areas for improvement.

Depending on the track layout and run-off areas, and your attitude to risk, you may want to consider track day insurance. Even if (hopefully) there are no idiots present (who often think that track days are for drifting, in reality just spinning their car due to lack of ability) accidents can happen.

The main thing is to have fun
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 4
      05-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #8
Stampe
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep

Thank you Watsey for the fine answer
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 08:39 PM   #9
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I have run motul RBF 600/660 and ATE at the track, the low viscosity fluid is more about low temps, which you won't encounter at the track. There is also a track section in our forums which might get a bit more attention. You can also visit the M3 F80 and M2 F87 forums and they have darn near the same braking setup at the Msport brake system 4 front/ 2 rear bremo's.
Appreciate 2
Stampe17.50
Polo088161616.00