F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > New iDrive Navigation Professional system for F30, ActiveHybrid 3, 5 Series, 7 series
Extreme Powerhouse

10-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #309
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Right you are...so more than a month. I'm hoping we start seeing people take pw45 deliveries in early December...so 2 months at least.
You should keep any eye out for people ordering cars w/Nav in the next few weeks. PW45 is probably one of the first available slots for some dealers, so some people could get their car, even before you. May even want to check on the ED forums, for people picking up November 19-Dec 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #310
westcory
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

An email went out to dealers acknowledging the confusion with the new Nav and rumors from sites like this. The finish the email with saying no new Nav until 2014 for 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #311
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
An email went out to dealers acknowledging the confusion with the new Nav and rumors from sites like this. The finish the email with saying no new Nav until 2014 for 3 series.
Yeah. I posted same on 10/5. However reliable sources tell me these emails are unofficial. The only thing official is a bulletin issued to dealers. As of today none has been issued. And since no bulletin is being issued that should worry us in search of the new Nav. Dealers are ordering PW45+ cars now and they have no idea whats coming.

Keep in mind these emails should be taken with a grain of salt. But, NA is also not going to release a bulletin saying something isn't coming. There will simply be no official communication from NA and MY13 F30 cars will continue on as-is. Yes, its possible (likely) that NA is opting out of the new Nav for F30 MY13. Its also possible they are delaying official announcement of the new Nav until they are good and ready.

Keep in mind the ActiveHybrid3 has the new Nav, but NA has yet to acknowledge it in any way that would be discernible by your average consumer. Just check the MY13 brochure or the webpages for the AH3. Three dealers I spoke with had no idea the AH3 is shipping with the new Nav.

If I recall correctly, the same happened in MY10 when they changed the Nav combox shortly before the start of 2011 production.

Last edited by claykin; 10-10-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #312
maxima
Registered
Rep
Drives: maxima

Just got this response directly from my CA here in Atlanta.....

"The new Navigation Professional system [CPU, graphics processor, hard drive] goes into production in the new 3 series next month, but that does not include the new iDrive Touch system that you mentioned. No info yet on when it goes into US production vehicles. "
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #313
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
If I recall correctly, the same happened in MY10 when they changed the Nav combox shortly before the start of 2011 production.
Ah yes, the Combox situation. Was that mid-cycle change on all cars, or just the 3er/5?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #314
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima View Post

"The new Navigation Professional system [CPU, graphics processor, hard drive] goes into production in the new 3 series next month, but that does not include the new iDrive Touch system that you mentioned. No info yet on when it goes into US production vehicles. "
Ha. Someone should be keeping a running tally, "Emails from BMW employees confirming or denying new Nav change".

One thing we can all agree upon, the new Touch controller is nowhere near ready for US cars. I understand it will roll out in China first, and we may not get it at all in the US.

Last edited by SamS; 10-10-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #315
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Ha. Someone should be keeping a running tally, "Emails from BMW employees confirming or denying new Nav change".

One thing we call all agree upon, the new Touch controller is nowhere near ready for US cars. I understand it will roll out in China first, and we may not get it at all in the US.
Its for sure that there will be no iDrive Touch controller for this next update. no MY13 car has it. I'm told its still in development.

Its so confusing that dealers in different regions are getting different information. Really it just goes a long way to customer dissatisfaction. There should be one unified response from BMW NA to clarify this. Certainly so since BMW AG issued a press release a couple months back saying the F30 would get the new Nav Pro in Autumn 2012. If US is excluded, NA should fess up!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #316
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima View Post

Depending on how you read the last line of the msg from your dealer, is his statement "No info yet on when it goes into US production vehicles." related to the new Touch controller or the entire new iDrive hardware update?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #317
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I received confirmation NA released a dealer training on the new NAV Pro. Discusses availability in 5,7 and AH3 for MY13. Specifically says no other models receiving new Nav Pro "this year". Does not say for MY13, just "this year". So it sure seems NA is either playing us all for fools or they are not releasing the Nav Pro in the F30 at least during calendar year 2012.

In 2010 I got a car 3 months b4 the new combox was announced and I bet it will be the similar once again. If my lease wasn't up, I'd wait and see, but with no assurance its coming at all for MY13 I am really reluctant to play the waiting game.

This brand is seriously annoying me!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #318
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I received confirmation NA released a dealer training on the new NAV Pro. Discusses availability in 5,7 and AH3 for MY13. Specifically says no other models receiving new Nav Pro "this year". Does not say for MY13, just "this year". So it sure seems NA is either playing us all for fools or they are not releasing the Nav Pro in the F30 at least during calendar year 2012.

In 2010 I got a car 3 months b4 the new combox was announced and I bet it will be the similar once again. If my lease wasn't up, I'd wait and see, but with no assurance its coming at all for MY13 I am really reluctant to play the waiting game.

This brand is seriously annoying me!
When was that training info (memo?) released? When the new Nav was announced, the info about 5/7/AH3 was the standard line. A few months later, more stuff came out (and was reported here) with details about the F30 in Nov, and the F12/F13/F25 in March/April of 2013.

If it doesn't come out for the F30 in November, then we won't see it until July 2013. I don't feel like waiting 9 months, so I'm putting my order in for PW45, or the soonest slot afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #319
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When was that training info (memo?) released? When the new Nav was announced, the info about 5/7/AH3 was the standard line. A few months later, more stuff came out (and was reported here) with details about the F30 in Nov, and the F12/F13/F25 in March/April of 2013.

If it doesn't come out for the F30 in November, then we won't see it until July 2013. I don't feel like waiting 9 months, so I'm putting my order in for PW45, or the soonest slot afterwards.
Not a memo. Its an updated training video released sometime in September. During the video they have a staged Q&A. One of the questions is if the Nav Pro will appear in other models "this year". The reply was no.

Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled if this was not true. I'm told its 100% true for NA. I would be interested in their rationale. Is it sales related? Maybe the Nav OEM has a bunch of parts to build more old Nav's and BMW is offering it to regions for a discount? Who knows, but I'd like to know why they jacked us!

I'm guessing its gonna be March '13 for the F30 and other models you listed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #320
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing its gonna be March '13 for the F30 and other models you listed.
Seems more likely that the F30 will roll to MY2014 with July 2013 production, not March. The F25s are on the March schedule for MY changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #321
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seems more likely that the F30 will roll to MY2014 with July 2013 production, not March. The F25s are on the March schedule for MY changes.
You very well could be correct. I have vivid memories of the 3/10 combox update in E9x. Either way looks like MY14 gets Nav Pro and probably a 15hp increase for N55. Hopefully also gets a shimmer/shake free steering rack!

Whoever started this thread should get a hold of the video (or have a dealer play the audio for them) and modify the first page accordingly. I suspect there's quite a few NA F30 customers expecting their PW45+ cars are coming with Nav Pro.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #322
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Whoever started this thread should get a hold of the video (or have a dealer play the audio for them) and modify the first page accordingly. I suspect there's quite a few NA F30 customers expecting their PW45+ cars are coming with Nav Pro.
I specifically reached out to admin Jason about the November roll out for the F30, and if the info was accurate or still applicable.

While the original timeline does come from a very legit source, he says:

Quote:
There's a few caveats and uncertainties regarding this. In terms of empirical evidence, only the F10/F12/F13 information has been available for validation so far. The next model up on the calendar is the F30. The unknown is whether this timeline applies to a certain market. There's no indication with respect to this, so this may just be a general rollout timeline for the world, with some markets getting it on time and others getting it later, as has happened with the F10/F12/F13.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #323
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

I have a new theory about the updated Nav Pro for November F30s. I think it came to me after a pint of Oktoberfest ale at a local pub

It's no secret that F30 sales are not exactly setting the dealerships on fire. It would be reasonable to assume that within the next 7-30 days, BMW might announce some good incentives on all MY2013 F30s (really, just the 328i models on the lots, or en route) to really end the year with a bang. Extra $2000 off? Who knows. The point would be to clear out every F30 on the lot, or already in production. Any car that starts production in November will be almost certain not to hit a dealer before Jan 1. That means all dealers could sell every F30 they have, with a healthy incentive, with virtually no fear of a "newer" Nav Pro on the lot to confuse or tempt people. That is why BMW is being so vague about the November date. They don't want to give people any incentive at all to wait, before plopping their $$ before EOY.

Once most of the "old" Nav cars are cleared out by Dec 31, the "new" ones will just be arriving after the first of the year, after all the incentives have expired. Obviously the old Nav costs BMW less than the new one, and they don't want to give up any margin on a MY2013 with a "new" feature, so when they start arriving at dealerships after Jan 1, it is perfect. For the first half of 2013, they'll have a "new" feature on the F30 to sell, easily until late summer when they can roll out MY2014 with the normal changes/updates.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but maybe it just makes a lot of sense for BMW NA. And maybe that's why will never even get an official confirmation until after Jan 1. Or until someone picks up a post PW45 build, via ED.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #324
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a new theory about the updated Nav Pro for November F30s. I think it came to me after a pint of Oktoberfest ale at a local pub

It's no secret that F30 sales are not exactly setting the dealerships on fire. It would be reasonable to assume that within the next 7-30 days, BMW might announce some good incentives on all MY2013 F30s (really, just the 328i models on the lots, or en route) to really end the year with a bang. Extra $2000 off? Who knows. The point would be to clear out every F30 on the lot, or already in production. Any car that starts production in November will be almost certain not to hit a dealer before Jan 1. That means all dealers could sell every F30 they have, with a healthy incentive, with virtually no fear of a "newer" Nav Pro on the lot to confuse or tempt people. That is why BMW is being so vague about the November date. They don't want to give people any incentive at all to wait, before plopping their $$ before EOY.

Once most of the "old" Nav cars are cleared out by Dec 31, the "new" ones will just be arriving after the first of the year, after all the incentives have expired. Obviously the old Nav costs BMW less than the new one, and they don't want to give up any margin on a MY2013 with a "new" feature, so when they start arriving at dealerships after Jan 1, it is perfect. For the first half of 2013, they'll have a "new" feature on the F30 to sell, easily until late summer when they can roll out MY2014 with the normal changes/updates.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but maybe it just makes a lot of sense for BMW NA. And maybe that's why will never even get an official confirmation until after Jan 1. Or until someone picks up a post PW45 build, via ED.
One pint and still rationally thinking? You need a stronger ale.

I'll be thrilled if you are correct, but I'm quite sure NA has a far more irrational reason for what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #325
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't feel like waiting 9 months, so I'm putting my order in for PW45, or the soonest slot afterwards.
Did you order a car? If so, what is the PW and it is Germany or SA production?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #326
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One pint and still rationally thinking? You need a stronger ale.

I'll be thrilled if you are correct, but I'm quite sure NA has a far more irrational reason for what they are doing.

Quote:
Did you order a car? If so, what is the PW and it is Germany or SA production?
Deal is "done" with m CA, but we looked at the system to see at allocations and production numbers. We didn't want to put one in just yet, as he was fearful that BMW would start building the car early because technically it would be a sold-customer-car.

I'm going to need to go back the last week of this month to officially place the order. That will guarantee a post-PW45 build.

I'm shooting for a Munich build, but I could tell from his system those were tough to get, at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #327
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Deal is "done" with m CA, but we looked at the system to see at allocations and production numbers. We didn't want to put one in just yet, as he was fearful that BMW would start building the car early because technically it would be a sold-customer-car.

I'm going to need to go back the last week of this month to officially place the order. That will guarantee a post-PW45 build.

I'm shooting for a Munich build, but I could tell from his system those were tough to get, at this point.
Munich builds are tougher to find. In checking around it sure seems BMW is trying to move US 335i production to Rosslyn. I have no problem with Rosslyn production, however transit time is the killer. It can take 35-50 days. Often the cars go from SA to Germany, then get offloaded and reloaded. Lots of time sitting at the SA and German ports.

Keep this in mind if your plan is to take advantage of whatever holiday deals NA is likely to throw out there. They usually expire just after New Years. Some years they have accepted late offers on in transit cars, but I've been told there have been other promotions where they don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #328
Funkier
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 316i + F54 Cooper

Will BMW authorize local dealers and maintenance providers to plug this unit in after market? I have a july 2012 produced f30 without nav and desperately want an original equipment for nav instead of after market installs which make the warranty void.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #329
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Munich builds are tougher to find. In checking around it sure seems BMW is trying to move US 335i production to Rosslyn. I have no problem with Rosslyn production, however transit time is the killer. It can take 35-50 days. Often the cars go from SA to Germany, then get offloaded and reloaded. Lots of time sitting at the SA and German ports.

Keep this in mind if your plan is to take advantage of whatever holiday deals NA is likely to throw out there. They usually expire just after New Years. Some years they have accepted late offers on in transit cars, but I've been told there have been other promotions where they don't.
I'm going to take advantage of the $1500 USAA discount, which is good through the end of the year. My CA assures me that as long as you "pay for the car" before EOY, the incentive is still valid, regardless of actual delivery date. Maybe we'll see more incentives, directly from BMW, beginning in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkier View Post
Will BMW authorize local dealers and maintenance providers to plug this unit in after market? I have a july 2012 produced f30 without nav and desperately want an original equipment for nav instead of after market installs which make the warranty void.
Zero chance any authorized local BMW dealer will retrofit the new Nav.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #330
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

This is crazy enough that I'm going to start my own thread in the order/tracking forum, but get this:

I spoke with my CA last night and it appears I now have TWO cars coming tto the dealership. Exactly the same.

I placed my order Saturday and they still didn't have allocation. Well, turns out they got some, submitted my order, and it got put into PW43. My CA told the manager that we needed to wait until PW45+ so they placed an order for PW47. Unfortunately, the first order got prioritized and placed into a state that they couldn't cancel.

So I now have two orders instead of one. PW43 should be here in early December and PW47 should be here in mid January.

As far as the NAV update, my CA has a contact in Munich that confirmed a few weeks back that November builds WILL have the updated nav. In light of all this new evidence saying otherwise, I asked my CA to contact him again and confirm that BMWNA production cars will get the new nav. If yes, I'll wait and the dealer will be stuck with an identical car with the old nav. If he says he was misinformed and BMWNA cars WON'T be getting the new nav, I'll gladly take the PW43 car and let them cancel the other one.

Crazy Crazy.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0