F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 328 loaner impressions...
Extreme Powerhouse

02-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #45
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

had a f30 328i as a loaner
the damn automatic transmission wants to stay under 2000rpm, and shifts too frequently (I own a manual)
it sounds like a diesel, or my old honda 4 cylinder
i don't know about this car having "good" power, cause it felt very slow.
somehow in overall impression, it feels and "drives" definitely cheaper than the E90/92 328i, i def miss the good old inline-6.

had a chance to testdrive a fully loaded 335i automatic. 335i, i must say, sounds awesome. power is there, definitely different from the 328i.
      02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #46
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
My E90 328i xDrive went in for a wire grounding problem today and I received a 2013 328i xDrive base model as a loaner. I must say...I hate it. What a boring vehicle. You practically have to jump on the gas to get it to go anywhere - and even then it's not very willing. Putting it into sport mode makes a world of difference but I shouldn't have to choose between a family hauler and a sports sedan - it should do both seamlessly like my E90 does. Needless to say, I won't be running off to buy an F30 anytime soon, what a disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv_335EBII View Post
The point of different modes is to give you a different feeling car within the same car. The F30 328 feels like it has a lot more power than the E90 328.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
I'm confused....

so you're saying that the F30 gives you a choice, where you can put it in one mode and it's more relaxed and refined, and you can pop it in sport where it's sporty enough for your liking, as compared to the E90 which doesn't have that choice, and this is somehow worse?
Quote:
The problem is, the throttle response is terrible. It doesn't feel like a sport sedan. If you put it in sport mode, it improves the throttle response but then it holds gears too long and it feels like the engine is straining. It's a constant compromise, whereas my E90 is never one. I bet this car would be a lot better with a tune and throttle remapping but I would expect more from a BMW out of the box.
I don't get the complaint either.

If I order my favorite filet from the local steak house, same way-a la carte, same price, great. It's the same for years. I go back and they give me the same steak, keep the price the same but it also comes with some sides-even if it's not what I am in the mood for, I just eat the steak...I would not complain to the waiter about the sides. Choice is good.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #47
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I don't get the complaint either.

If I order my favorite filet from the local steak house, same way-a la carte, same price, great. It's the same for years. I go back and they give me the same steak, keep the price the same but it also comes with some sides-even if it's not what I am in the mood for, I just eat the steak...I would not complain to the waiter about the sides. Choice is good.
I'm clearly not explaining well. Oh well, it's not the car I had hoped it was. I shouldn't have to push a button to get the performance I expect out of a BMW - that's all.

I'd also be curious to know how many owners have their Auto Start-Stop coded off as a default. What a terribly crude system it is...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #48
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Finally got my 328i in a few weeks ago and I've been breaking it in. My fears about the engine noise were indeed unfounded as I've had no issues adapting to the quieter ride. Happy being able to hear the little guy in the back seat on the way to daycare, and talking on the phone or to other passengers in the seat right next to me at a normal volume.

I loved the idea of the different modes when looking at the car. Comfort is where I'll spend most of my time. Eco Pro is useful in early morning traffic sludge. Haven't switched into to Sport yet, I'm waiting until the break-in is complete and I'm not afraid to open it up.

Entire music library on USB complete with album art. I spent an ungodly amount of time setting that up...worth it.

Still trying to figure out a use for the Side camera. I guess if you're wanting to make a right on red and *that guy* in the jacked up F150 pulls up past the line and blocks your view...maybe you could use that to see if it's safe to go? I'd find it hard to trust, though.

So far I'm a happy camper. If I had to change something, I'd move the media buttons on the steering wheel to the left side.

Quote:
I'd also be curious to know how many owners have their Auto Start-Stop coded off as a default. What a terribly crude system it is...
I rarely disable the Start-Stop system. I didn't understand the complaints behind it until I had a 328i AT loaner for a day. With a manual I have much more control over the system; ex. keeping the clutch disengaged for short stops to keep the engine on - or disengage it early to wake up the engine in anticipation of the light changing to green. But with an automatic, I could see how many people would opt to default it to off.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #49
Anonymous Henchman #5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport MT EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
Finally got my 328i in a few weeks ago and I've been breaking it in. My fears about the engine noise were indeed unfounded as I've had no issues adapting to the quieter ride. Happy being able to hear the little guy in the back seat on the way to daycare, and talking on the phone or to other passengers in the seat right next to me at a normal volume.

I loved the idea of the different modes when looking at the car. Comfort is where I'll spend most of my time. Eco Pro is useful in early morning traffic sludge. Haven't switched into to Sport yet, I'm waiting until the break-in is complete and I'm not afraid to open it up.

Entire music library on USB complete with album art. I spent an ungodly amount of time setting that up...worth it.

Still trying to figure out a use for the Side camera. I guess if you're wanting to make a right on red and *that guy* in the jacked up F150 pulls up past the line and blocks your view...maybe you could use that to see if it's safe to go? I'd find it hard to trust, though.

So far I'm a happy camper. If I had to change something, I'd move the media buttons on the steering wheel to the left side.

I rarely disable the Start-Stop system. I didn't understand the complaints behind it until I had a 328i AT loaner for a day. With a manual I have much more control over the system; ex. keeping the clutch disengaged for short stops to keep the engine on - or disengage it early to wake up the engine in anticipation of the light changing to green. But with an automatic, I could see how many people would opt to default it to off.
It's funny, I said almost the exact same thing in a different thread: "I have a 335i and I love the ASS. But I have a manual transmission. The stick seems to pair great with the ASS. . . . all joking aside it really does go well together. I've adapted my driving style to where if I anticipate I'll be stopped for less than a few seconds (say at a stoplight I know will be turning green soon or at a stop sign), then I'll leave the clutch depressed. Any longer than a few seconds and I'll let the ASS do it's thing (worked great at the Taco Bell drivethru today. . . . I'm trying to resist the temptation now to make a joke about Taco Bell and ASS)."

Glad you're enjoying the 328i. The N20 is an amazing engine. For me, I just couldn't resist the sweet sound and feel of the N55. It's more of visceral difference than a true performance difference, IMHO. I find the performance difference between the two cars--mainly acceleration advantage for the 335i, and the handling advantage for the 328i--are both overblown.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #50
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

^ 2 good posts
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #51
chugster
B0$$
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

I test drove both 335 and 328 before I decided to choose the 328. The reason was my initial reaction to both low end tq was pretty similar. I didn't feel too big of a difference even though 335 had about 50 more tq. The only thing that I did like about the 335 was the exhaust note. It sounded good stock, but is that worth like 5k more in price? I can get a tune for around 350ish and get close to the performance of 335. But the sound of the 335 is pretty amazing, but after the M perf. exhaust, I am satisfied how it sounds.

2016 CWP STi FBO E85
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
That's the reason why people in Europe don't complain about it and it was present on cars there for some time now - certainly much longer than here.

I know I don't mind it on rented cars in Europe for the same reason that you can control it with clutch and it is very easy to do. Doesn't take more than 2-3 stops to get completely used to control it with clutch without even thinking about it.

When I get a loaner here, I immediately disable it because it really sucks with AT.
      03-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #53
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Henchman #5 View Post
It's funny, I said almost the exact same thing in a different thread: "I have a 335i and I love the ASS. But I have a manual transmission. The stick seems to pair great with the ASS. . . . all joking aside it really does go well together. I've adapted my driving style to where if I anticipate I'll be stopped for less than a few seconds (say at a stoplight I know will be turning green soon or at a stop sign), then I'll leave the clutch depressed. Any longer than a few seconds and I'll let the ASS do it's thing (worked great at the Taco Bell drivethru today. . . . I'm trying to resist the temptation now to make a joke about Taco Bell and ASS)."

Glad you're enjoying the 328i. The N20 is an amazing engine. For me, I just couldn't resist the sweet sound and feel of the N55. It's more of visceral difference than a true performance difference, IMHO. I find the performance difference between the two cars--mainly acceleration advantage for the 335i, and the handling advantage for the 328i--are both overblown.
Yeah I'm getting into using ASS more, and agree it's more user friendly for a manual car. I notice the difference in mileage on the crappy morning surface street commute.

I had an X1 loaner and didn't even see a shutoff for it. But found out if you put the shifter in Sport mode it disabled it.
      03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #54
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
had a f30 328i as a loaner

it sounds like a diesel, or my old honda 4 cylinder
i don't know about this car having "good" power, cause it felt very slow.
somehow in overall impression, it feels and "drives" definitely cheaper than the E90/92 328i, i def miss the good old inline-6.
I own an F30 328i Sport Line and had an E90 base 328i as a loaner.

Compared to my F30, I hit the gas on the E90 and it felt like an eternity before it lurched forward. The inside is positively claustrophobic once you get used to the F30.

And those E90 cupholders--those are really premium. /sarcasm
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #55
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I just picked up a base 328 loaner (have a 335 MSport). I absolutely love my 335 MSport even more now!

Obviously, I'm comparing a base vs MSport so there should be differences. However; the steering wheel, the shifter and the plastic around the shifter on the base are unbearably cheap. I am absolutely stunned.

I didn't realize there was that big of a difference between the interiors. It's still a nice car, don't get me wrong. At the end of the day, this is just my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I just picked up a base 328 loaner (have a 335 MSport). I absolutely love my 335 MSport even more now!

Obviously, I'm comparing a base vs MSport so there should be differences. However; the steering wheel, the shifter and the plastic around the shifter on the base are unbearably cheap. I am absolutely stunned.

I didn't realize there was that big of a difference between the interiors. It's still a nice car, don't get me wrong. At the end of the day, this is just my humble opinion.
Is the knob on the automatic the same on all trim lines? Because it did feel pretty chinstzy on the 328i loaner I had.
      03-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #57
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost
Quote:

Is the knob on the automatic the same on all trim lines? Because it did feel pretty chinstzy on the 328i loaner I had.
The knob is different on the MSport (which I own). I think it's the same on all of the other lines, but I could be mistaken.

I should have asked for the 328 MSport loaner that we happened to walk by!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #58
J Tiberius
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Quote:

The knob is different on the MSport (which I own). I think it's the same on all of the other lines, but I could be mistaken.

The sport auto transmission has a different lever and is mounted in a leather surround similar to a manual. This can be optioned only on the Sport Line or M Sport in the US. It is vastly preferable to the base 8 speed both in performance and appearance IMO.
      03-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #59
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tiberius
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Quote:

The sport auto transmission has a different lever and is mounted in a leather surround similar to a manual. This can be optioned only on the Sport Line or M Sport in the US. It is vastly preferable to the base 8 speed both in performance and appearance IMO.

That is exactly what I have. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't look at anything other than the MSport with sport 8AT
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #60
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfichman View Post
I have a new loaner right now and im loving it, thinking the same thing, I could have totally saved some money and got a 328. I have the H&K in my 335 but I actually like some aspects of the base sound system more. I am a recording engineer, I use my car to test mixes and the base system is much more accurate imo, i think it sounds great. The H&K is very bright and colored, reminds me of beats by dre which I hate. That's for my purpose though. It might be more enjoyable but I just know its eq'd and split into multiple frequency bands then further processed, i hear it. The H&K is way louder.
I have a simple fix... Trade me your hk for my base model speakers...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #61
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I experienced night and day difference in low end and mid range torque/power between the 328 vs 335. It is all relative I know and if you came from a past 328 with the I6, than this new 328 feels like a powerhouse. If you are used to a 335 than it feels like a turtle.

That is why I never "window shop" or test drive cars Ill never be able to own. I am thrilled with my m3 power now but it would be a turtle if I drove a GTR. Same with the 328. Its awesome until you drive a 335 or an m3, than it feels slow. Hate how that happens
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #62
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugster View Post
But the sound of the 335 is pretty amazing, but after the M perf. exhaust, I am satisfied how it sounds.
I didn't think the M perf. exhaust was available for the 328i? It's not an option through the BMW store.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #63
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't think the M perf. exhaust was available for the 328i? It's not an option through the BMW store.
It's available. Members on here have it through dealers, also sold on eBay from dealers.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #64
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's available. Members on here have it through dealers, also sold on eBay from dealers.
Thanks, I'll check with my dealer. Still too early for me to think about installing this type of mod, but I had already removed it from consideration since it wasn't available through the BMW store.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #65
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My dealer doesn't acknowledge that the m perf exhaust exists, but finding them on Ebay was easy enough.

The impact on warranty was what you mentioned earlier, and applies to *any* aftermarket component, be it from BMW or other manufacturer - and basically if it can be shown to have contributed to the issue being reported, the repair isn't covered. My worry there is, not being a car guy I wouldn't be able to counter a claim that the custom exhaust directly contributed to my power seat malfunctioning.

But that also means that I have a wider selection to choose from if I decide to go for it...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #66
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My dealer doesn't acknowledge that the m perf exhaust exists, but finding them on Ebay was easy enough.

The impact on warranty was what you mentioned earlier, and applies to *any* aftermarket component, be it from BMW or other manufacturer - and basically if it can be shown to have contributed to the issue being reported, the repair isn't covered. My worry there is, not being a car guy I wouldn't be able to counter a claim that the custom exhaust directly contributed to my power seat malfunctioning.

But that also means that I have a wider selection to choose from if I decide to go for it...
You don't need to be a car guy to spot BS when you see it. If your front suspension fails and they claim it's due to your exhaust...I think you know that one smells like BS.

Appreciate 0