F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Which phone?
Studio RSR

10-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Stan876
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F36 435D Xdrive

Which phone?

Hi there my phone is up for renewal wondered what peoples thoughts were on the current crop of phones. I am a bit of a Apple hater but if its the best option I am willing to look at the 5S. Current phone is the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I like the look of the S4, HTC one and Sony Experia Z1 as well. My car has basic Bluetooth.

Main thing is which is the best phone for connectivity to the car F31 with basic Bluetooth? I play a lot of music through my current S3 by USB cable but I can't currently get my playlists to load from it (or from a USB stick for that matter) but I have not looked in detail yet I have only had the car a few days all music is currently MP3 format. Cheers
      10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
ERdiesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

If you don't like iphones and if you spend more time outside your car than inside, then seems like a no brainer to go with whatever phone you would ultimately prefer.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Stan876
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Sorry everyone its a crap posting now brain is engaged i just want to know which of the latest phones is most compatible for music streaming with the standard bluetooth (if any) or is my best best a properly configured USB stick or USB cable?
      10-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

You can't stream audio over standard bluetooth, that needs Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS instead of 6NH) although, if you have pro nav, you can easily code it in (took me about 5mins to do the afternoon after getting the car).

Anyway, USB stick apparently works really well - as long as you have no requirement for gapless audio (e.g. albums without 2 second gaps between each track). The only way to get gapless audio to work properly over USB, is to use an iDevice. I use an iPhone because i don't need a handset that's 3 metres wide (like the current Android handsets) but if I did go down the Android route, I'd probably just stick an iPod classic under the armrest for my music needs (because gapless audio is important to me) and keep my phone in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Stan876
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproudfoot View Post
You can't stream audio over standard bluetooth, that needs Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS instead of 6NH) although, if you have pro nav, you can easily code it in (took me about 5mins to do the afternoon after getting the car).

Anyway, USB stick apparently works really well - as long as you have no requirement for gapless audio (e.g. albums without 2 second gaps between each track). The only way to get gapless audio to work properly over USB, is to use an iDevice. I use an iPhone because i don't need a handset that's 3 metres wide (like the current Android handsets) but if I did go down the Android route, I'd probably just stick an iPod classic under the armrest for my music needs (because gapless audio is important to me) and keep my phone in my pocket.
Do you know sometimes you just need someone to state the bloody obvious i am that obsessed with having everything on my phone i did not even consider the Ipod i have sat in the draw gathering dust and playing it through the USB My Ipod is ancient will i need a "special" cable to connect it to the cars USB?

This also means that i can choose a phone to just be a phone, genius
      10-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Stan876
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan876 View Post
Do you know sometimes you just need someone to state the bloody obvious i am that obsessed with having everything on my phone i did not even consider the Ipod i have sat in the draw gathering dust and playing it through the USB My Ipod is ancient will i need a "special" cable to connect it to the cars USB?

This also means that i can choose a phone to just be a phone, genius
Oh and a camera and a video recorder and a sat nav and a diary and a torch and a games machine - Ok so not just a phone
      10-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

I am upgrading my S3 now as well. I really wanted to want the iPhone 5s, mainly because of my car, but I just could not force myself to 'downgrade' with an upgrade. It just is nothing special. I pre-ordered the Note 3. I was worried it might be too big and I have the option of trading within 14 days if I do not like it. However, the just arrived at Best Buy for a different carrier and I really like it. I think it will work out great, and if I cant take the size, maybe I will just get the watch!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Stan876
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
I am upgrading my S3 now as well. I really wanted to want the iPhone 5s, mainly because of my car, but I just could not force myself to 'downgrade' with an upgrade. It just is nothing special. I pre-ordered the Note 3. I was worried it might be too big and I have the option of trading within 14 days if I do not like it. However, the just arrived at Best Buy for a different carrier and I really like it. I think it will work out great, and if I cant take the size, maybe I will just get the watch!
That phrase perfectly describes how i fell as well "I really wanted to want the iPhone 5s"
      10-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

As you have the basic BT you will not be able to stream over BT Audio. On that basis, I would just get the phone that you want. I'm using an iPod Touch that stays connected to the USB in the armrest. As for the phone it's just to make calls or the occasional Spotify streaming.

You'll need the Y cable to connect your iPod to the USB without the enhanced BT.

I've just got a 5S (took bloody ages from Apple), but yeah it's nice bit of kit. We are an Apple household so it made no sense for me to switch to Android.
Appreciate 0