F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Premium Package on 328
Studio RSR

08-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Frontosa
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Civic

Premium Package on 328

Is it a must? I am tending to not get the premium package to keep the price down. However, I want to make sure I don't have regrets after. So, I would like to hear from those of you that have ordered/not ordered the premium package.

Let's discuss

Premium Package:
Alarm System
Comfort Access
Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors
Through Loading System
Park Distance Control, Rear
BMW On board Navigation System
CIC contribution

I understand you need the Through Loading System in order for the rear seats to be folded down. Out of this list, I think Through Loading System will be a good option to have.

I like the Alarm System too but wonder if it is a beneficial or a MUST. (I am coming from a 10 year old Honda)

Navi would be nice to have but given the new Idrive coming in 2014, not sure I want to pay for an older model. Plus, I dont drive much at the moment and dont intend for next few years.

I am not really sure about the effectiveness of the Auto Dimming Mirror nor do I know/remember what is CIC contribution.

PDC may be useful for the wife but she does not drive at the moment but may drive in the future (2 years from now if she were to drive)

Other than the sport package and heated steering wheel, I am tending to not order any other packages/options.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
lordg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I only ordered the sports package and nothing else. Just like you, I thought the folding seats were good to have, but I rarely use them in my old car, so I decided against the premium package. Save money to buy winter tires instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I ordered the Premium Package, although it is slightly different for the 335i. Nonetheless, I have used--and regularly do use--all of the features mentioned in your list. Not sure what CIC Integration is either, but I imagine it's probably some hardware component necessary for some of the features to work.

I think you have to ask yourself whether the features are something that you'd like to have, or can do without to save some money as lordg said.

I love CA for example, would definitely get it again even if it were a separate option, and although I don't absolutely need PDC I find it extremely handy in my tight garage.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
jameh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

My understanding is that there is a Sport *line* and a Premium *package*. I've never seen a Sport Package for the Canadian F30s. But you could get a Sport line and add the Premium package, sure.

I have a Lux line with the Premium package, and I'm very sure I made the right choice. I love having a glass sunroof, the alarm system makes me feel good (and.... helps me find my car if I lose it in a parking lot, lol), and the seats folding down have saved my bacon many times. A must for a trip to IKEA!

Comfort Access is also really cool; now that I have it, I can't imagine going back. I never take my keys out of my pocket! Just go up to the car, get in, and go. It's really crazy how fast you get used to it, and the idea of pulling out a fob or key seems laborious.

Auto dimming mirrors are also a really nice feature I did not think I'd appreciate. They go to a nice deep blueish tint when it gets dark out, and prevents drivers behind me from blinding me with their highbeams. PDC is also a nice feature, though the rearview camera in the Executive package would probably be more helpful.

Finally, nav is great. Don't care that I have Google Nav on my phone, it's nice to have it integrated and effortless with the car. You also get a bigger LCD screen because of it!

Anyway, IMO, Premium package is a must. Sure, it'd be nice if all these were standard, but such is life.
      09-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameh View Post
My understanding is that there is a Sport *line* and a Premium *package*. I've never seen a Sport Package for the Canadian F30s. But you could get a Sport line and add the Premium package, sure.

I have a Lux line with the Premium package, and I'm very sure I made the right choice. I love having a glass sunroof, the alarm system makes me feel good (and.... helps me find my car if I lose it in a parking lot, lol), and the seats folding down have saved my bacon many times. A must for a trip to IKEA!

Comfort Access is also really cool; now that I have it, I can't imagine going back. I never take my keys out of my pocket! Just go up to the car, get in, and go. It's really crazy how fast you get used to it, and the idea of pulling out a fob or key seems laborious.

Auto dimming mirrors are also a really nice feature I did not think I'd appreciate. They go to a nice deep blueish tint when it gets dark out, and prevents drivers behind me from blinding me with their highbeams. PDC is also a nice feature, though the rearview camera in the Executive package would probably be more helpful.

Finally, nav is great. Don't care that I have Google Nav on my phone, it's nice to have it integrated and effortless with the car. You also get a bigger LCD screen because of it!

Anyway, IMO, Premium package is a must. Sure, it'd be nice if all these were standard, but such is life.
Very well said James!

I agree with everything you said and therefore went ahead with the Premium Package. However the Premium Pckage is different for the 335i and was a MUST for me!

Good luck with your decision bud!
      09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
CurlyFatAngry
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: his BMW as much as he can !

Yes, cause some dumbass in BMW Canada decided that split back seat is an option, only for the 328 and below though.
'08 Jet Black E92 328xi, Premium, Sport, iPod, Black Grille, GP Thunder, Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
redbullto
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

I regret not getting premium package. Could really use the PDC.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Dgrohl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I gotta say...I love the comfort access and the rear parking distance control thing. Although I've never hit a car while reversing, it is definitely a nice feature. Not ever using the key to open/close/start the car is also great...although it takes time to get used to. I find myself reaching for the keys every time I get out of the car. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
WhiteCollar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 4 Series

Garage List
2016 BMW 428 GC  [0.00]
Take it from a guy that got all the gadgets on the car, I only regret buying the BMW Assist.

The Exec package seems like a rip-off, but the surround sound and the lumbar support are great. Still debatable if I made the right choice or not...

Most people don't get the Driving Assist, but I find it invaluable and should be a standard option on all cars.

I can't see myself using an external GPS in this interior, wires and stuff hanging off the wind-shield is a bit of a turn-off in this beautiful interior. Hence, Premium package is a must. Not to mention the Convenience Package...

Head-up Display is also a cool feature to have. No more looking around for songs or directions or speed or phone, everything is in front of you... all the messages the car wants to communicate with you are in front of your eyes, in a 3D transparent glow... Awesome! Best choice I made so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

I have it, and I'm quite happy I ordered it.

My primary interests were Nav and Comfort access, both of which I think are well done.

I have Nav on my phone of course (like most humans), but this is a well implemented built-in with voice access right through the steering wheel button, and it throws out directions both on the Nav screen and on the extended dash display, along with muting your stereo to give you voice directions. It's a solid setup.

Comfort access is one of those features that you wonder how you lived without. I never take my key out.

Auto dimming exterior mirrors are nice to have - I had this on my E46 as well, and it's a good feature.
Through-load should be standard now (especially given the stiffer chassis). Happy to have it, not happy that it's even an option.
PDC is surprisingly handy. I didn't think I'd even use it, but it's like having a second set of very strategically-placed eyes, and I find now it's a really nice feature.

And Voice Recognition makes everything that much more accesible without trying to fudge around with the iDrive controller, particularly when you're in motion. Though admittedly I've only learned a small handful of commands...

The alarm, I could care less about. By the time it goes off, it's usually too late.

I like it. Is it worth $3500? Probably not. But I'm happy to have it. I also have the Exec, Assist and Apps bundles. Also probably not worth what they're charging, but they're all nice to have.

The Premium Package definitely has value, and it's a well implemented system. Only you can decide if that value is enough to hurdle the rather hard-to-swallow price tag. It's neither cheap nor a bargain. Its a very expensive set of conveniences.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCollar View Post
Take it from a guy that got all the gadgets on the car, I only regret buying the BMW Assist. ...
The USB+Bluetooth was the big plus for me in that bundle.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
WhiteCollar
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 428 GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
The USB+Bluetooth was the big plus for me in that bundle.
I don't deny that, but the system doesn't work with my iPhone. I heard that I need to upgrade to iOS 6 to have the features that a BlackBerry has, and I don't know if my 3GS can handle iOS 6.

Other than that, I get all my texts and emails in other languages too and an English reading automaton makes them impossible to understand.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Oh, that sucks. I'm using my old iPhone 4 as basically an iPod, permanently attached in the centre console, and I use my real phone (Samsung) via Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
WonderWoman
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI MW F3O

I completely agree with jameh. Great choice on the luxury line and premium package ^^
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Temptazn
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

I got the premium pkg and the exec pkg. overall I'm happy with it, and I would recommend it. I love the CA and the Navi unit. But I was annoyed that I could not get CA or the HK system ala carte.
      01-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2012

Two words.... COMFORT ACCESS...

I couldn't do without it... makes life better !!!
      01-31-2013, 04:42 AM   #17
CBBMW-F30
M Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i SPORT

I hear you with the comfort access,, it completes the car.

The HK system came correct! (it is powerful)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
dopie
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Comfort Access makes it all worth it.....that is when it works properly. I'm starting to have problems with mine.

My driver door doesn't always unlock when I pull the door handle. Passenger side never has a problem. The problem on the driver side happens when the car has been sitting for a long time, like say over night. The next morning the driver side door wont unlock for me. I either have to walk around to the passenger side and slide my hand into the door handle or i have to press the unlock button on the fob. However if the car has been in use, and i park it for an hour, the driver door will unlock as it should when i return to it.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Last edited by dopie; 02-05-2013 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Id8
Rep
Drives: Coming soon

First off guys dont get me wrong im in the market to get a 328 or 335 but all this defending bmw is sick... honestly people saying how its worth it to pay for expensive packages to have phone integration, usb, bluetooth, split folding seats, a 30k honda offers this, hyundai has most of this standard now..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I'd never checked the Canadian BMW site. But it's nice that the Canadian premium package actually has some useful stuff in it. Ours in the US is just plain silly and expensive. Basically, it's leather seats and, for the 328 a sunroof, and the sunroof is at least worthwhile, whereas leather, especially if you want black or beige, is a big waste of money because the leatherette is free and just as nice. The package also has, a garage door opener, automatic folding mirrors, auto dimming mirrors and comfort access.

So if you were to take the stand-alone price of the leather and sunroof and subtract them from the price of the premium package, you'd see you're paying some $900, for the rest of the stuff. For my money, it's hardly worth it as I don't care about having those features to begin with, even if I might find them convenient or nice to have were I to actually have them.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share with you how I decide whether to get any package BMW offers. I'm sure you can use the same approach on the premium package offered in CA and that may help you decide whether you want to spend the money on it.

Best of luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
WhiteCollar
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 428 GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id8 View Post
First off guys dont get me wrong im in the market to get a 328 or 335 but all this defending bmw is sick... honestly people saying how its worth it to pay for expensive packages to have phone integration, usb, bluetooth, split folding seats, a 30k honda offers this, hyundai has most of this standard now..
If you think that that's all there is to a BMW you are mistaken. I dare you to drive one for a month and then ditch it to go to a Honda. Trust me, I have both and after getting used to the BMW, driving the Honda feels like I'm in a cardboard box. My parents have the new Passat and even that feels incredibly cheap compared to my 328.
USB, Bluetooth calling and many of the usual gadgets are standard. Maybe split folding seats should be standard too, I agree. In the end, nobody forces you to buy a fully loaded Bimmer. Go with what you use the most.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
Id8
Rep
Drives: Coming soon

Agreed, obviously something is better on the car and thats why people pay a huge premium. however, it just doesnt make sense why features that are standard on a car almost half the price arent on a car that is double the price. What you're saying is that the drive is so superior that they should be able to nickle and dime for every single option and im just saying i dont agree with that, thats all.
I'm not comparing the actual cars, im comparing the pricing models of the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCollar View Post
If you think that that's all there is to a BMW you are mistaken. I dare you to drive one for a month and then ditch it to go to a Honda. Trust me, I have both and after getting used to the BMW, driving the Honda feels like I'm in a cardboard box. My parents have the new Passat and even that feels incredibly cheap compared to my 328.
USB, Bluetooth calling and many of the usual gadgets are standard. Maybe split folding seats should be standard too, I agree. In the end, nobody forces you to buy a fully loaded Bimmer. Go with what you use the most.
Appreciate 0