F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > IDrive route preferences
proTUNING Freaks

07-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
dnjc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Diesel :)

IDrive route preferences

I recently upgraded to the North America NEXT 2016-2 (NBT) and loving the update so far. However, I've noticed that when I enter a destination, it doesn't give me the most direct routes to a destination.

For example, my morning commute involves taking the highway to work and it's a fairly straight forward process. My older map would accurately choose the highway as the best route. However, the new map keeps directing me to an off-ramp or alternative route that is much longer.

To be clear, I am familiar with the route preferences functions and I have it set to the fastest route setting, and the "avoid highways" and "avoid tolls" are un-checked. So I'm not sure why it keeps re-directing me? At first I thought it might be because of traffic conditions but then I tried testing this in the evening when the highway was clear and the iDrive still tries to direct me to an alternate route.

Does anybody know if this is a glitch in the new map? My settings are exactly the same as the old map and that version had no problems choosing the best route.

Just curious if anybody else has noticed this?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnjc View Post
I recently upgraded to the North America NEXT 2016-2 (NBT) and loving the update so far. However, I've noticed that when I enter a destination, it doesn't give me the most direct routes to a destination.

For example, my morning commute involves taking the highway to work and it's a fairly straight forward process. My older map would accurately choose the highway as the best route. However, the new map keeps directing me to an off-ramp or alternative route that is much longer.

To be clear, I am familiar with the route preferences functions and I have it set to the fastest route setting, and the "avoid highways" and "avoid tolls" are un-checked. So I'm not sure why it keeps re-directing me? At first I thought it might be because of traffic conditions but then I tried testing this in the evening when the highway was clear and the iDrive still tries to direct me to an alternate route.

Does anybody know if this is a glitch in the new map? My settings are exactly the same as the old map and that version had no problems choosing the best route.

Just curious if anybody else has noticed this?
Sounds like what Waze does, often taking me wonky routes that seem off the beaten path. It's supposed to update for live traffic, so perhaps these times you've been testing it, your suspected usual routes have had traffic issues? You can't necessarily compare one day to the next, since traffic patterns could be in flux even from Monday to Tuesday, or even from one Monday to the next. In DC, it's completely unpredictable.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Try Waze and compare the routes. I've found that Waze outperforms the BMW Navigation about 5 time out of 10, and they're equal on the other 5. I've never found BMW to beat Waze.
Appreciate 0