F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Squealing Brakes Poll
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Are your brakes squealing?
Yes, squealing brakes on my M Sport 82 37.44%
No squealing brakes on my M Sport 38 17.35%
Yes, squealing brakes on my NON M Sport 31 14.16%
No squealing brakes on my NON M Sport 68 31.05%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

10-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
It's all the time. Very occasionally it's quieter but still noticeably there. And happens from around 10mph down to 0. I might try bedding the brakes as others have suggested though, just have to find a quiet high speed limit road to do this on.
It's usually most prevalent with very light pedal pressure i.e. very light pressure on the pads. If you can imagine what happens when you drag an eraser slowly across a piece of paper with very light pressure vs. quickly with firm pressure. The eraser will "skip" and "bounce" across the paper if you go too slow or too light. This is exactly what's happening to the pads.

Bedding might help.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #46
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It's usually most prevalent with very light pedal pressure i.e. very light pressure on the pads. If you can imagine what happens when you drag an eraser slowly across a piece of paper with very light pressure vs. quickly with firm pressure. The eraser will "skip" and "bounce" across the paper if you go too slow or too light. This is exactly what's happening to the pads.

Bedding might help.
It's actually the oposite. A normal firm brake application is when it's loud. I can make it quieter by being lighter on the brake or easing off the brake when I hear the screech.
      10-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #47
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
Picked up my 328 M Sport last Friday, and have very significant squealing/screeching from the brakes. Seems to only happen under light braking at low speed (10mph and lower mostly). Have an appointment with service on Thursday. Really, really annoying. My shiny new BMW sounds like a 30 year old Oldsmobile with bad brake pads.
I recorded the very loud squealing from my MY12 ZSL N55's brakes, played it for the service advisor and emailed him the .wav file.

They couldn't reproduce the problem -- because it's been so wet here due to Sandy. Then they tried "normal operation."

I insisted that they work on it so they disassembled the brakes, front and rear, and "lubricated" them. I just got the car back tonight so we have to see if they fixed it.

Don't settle for "normal operation" -- these brakes may be designed to produce dust. But they aren't designed to squeal under light application.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #48
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Can anyone with the M Perf brakes provide some input about squeaking noises ?

Ii'm considering em
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #49
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
I've also suggested a few fixes that should help ease your frustration. inability on your part to do the simplist of these is what I call laziness.

You can also take it into the dealer so the technician can "fix" it for you (I put quotes as this isn't really a problem). Friction is rarely silent, the noise can be easily decreased by changing the compounds in the pads, but at the price of performance.
Wrong based on simple logic.

1. Many F30 breaks don't squeal while others of the same model do.
2. Trips to the dealer are reported to work.
3. Reports by those who bed their breaks show frequent failure to fix the squeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
I bedded my brakes on day one. And I doubt that my unwillingness to remove the wheels on a brand new $50k+ car, sand my pads, apply brake quiet, and clean/relube contact points would be characterized as "lazy" by any reasonable person. Or "the simplest" of things to do.

And I also must respectfully disagree that loud squealing from my brakes isn't really a problem or a shortcoming. Squealing brakes is a flaw, not a feature. I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to brake at stoplights like I'm on a race track to avoid screeching brakes. This isn't a track car, it is a sedan.
+1 of course. Why a post like this is even necessary is amazing...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #50
drewauby5
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Msport EBII

I just bought my first BMW 2 weeks ago and for a 50K sports sedan there sure are some things about it that leave me scratching my head...brakes squeak and leave ridiculous dust, steering wheel virbration at speeds above 60, alot of road noise from rear of car, and cabin wind noise. The brakes are what irk me the most as I have bought over a dozen new cars in my life and have never had to bed in the brakes after I bought...might be first and last BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #51
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewauby5 View Post
I just bought my first BMW 2 weeks ago and for a 50K sports sedan there sure are some things about it that leave me scratching my head...brakes squeak and leave ridiculous dust, steering wheel virbration at speeds above 60, alot of road noise from rear of car, and cabin wind noise. The brakes are what irk me the most as I have bought over a dozen new cars in my life and have never had to bed in the brakes after I bought...might be first and last BMW
What is production date of car? Check driver door decal or www.bmwvin.com
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #52
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

I have a Sportline and they never squeaked.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #53
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic
I have a Sportline and they never squeaked.
Base 2012 335i no squealing and at 7000 miles...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #54
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewauby5 View Post
Brake dust does get better over time. With 5k miles on it now the dust is not bad at all anymore. But the squealing still is! I have an appt on Tues to get that and a few other things looked at.
      01-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #55
Joopster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Brake squealing here. Like others have reported, it happens during low speed braking 10-0 mph - happens occasionally.

I have no intention of bedding my brakes. This will get settled (one way or another) by the dealership. Not by me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #56
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

2013 335i M-Sport here via European Delivery and the Euro Pads that people are stating come exclusively with ED cars...and, yes, it squeaks and dusts like crazy. Less so when it heats up but it is evident throughout my entire drive from start to finish and thouroughly sucks balls.
      01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #57
efrost07
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Anyone having luck resolving this issue with their dealer? My brakes only seem to be getting worse, maybe aggravated by the cold weather, but happens under all conditions. Thanks for any advice or info.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #58
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrost07 View Post
Anyone having luck resolving this issue with their dealer? My brakes only seem to be getting worse, maybe aggravated by the cold weather, but happens under all conditions. Thanks for any advice or info.
Every time I bring my car in I complain about it but they aren't able to reproduce it. So nothing has been done.

The good thing is that my car now has 3,000 miles on it now and it's very rare when it occurs. Always at the most inopportune time, when I'm driving people around town and it squeals in a crowded parking lot. But this is once a blue moon now and not as bad as it used to be, so I say let sleeping dogs lie.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #59
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Squealing brake noise has gone from bad to worse to PATHETIC on my 335. Will be taking in this weekend.
      01-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #60
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
Squealing brake noise has gone from bad to worse to PATHETIC on my 335. Will be taking in this weekend.
2500 miles and squeak is much better but still intermittent.
      01-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #61
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
2500 miles and squeak is much better but still intermittent.
Maybe it's due to the temperature. It's not that cold here in Socal. But everyone else seems to have it really bad right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #62
Teme
Rep
Drives: 320iA xDrive

Brakes on mine are squealing, but so far only when it is cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #63
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
2013 335i M-Sport here via European Delivery and the Euro Pads that people are stating come exclusively with ED cars...and, yes, it squeaks and dusts like crazy. Less so when it heats up but it is evident throughout my entire drive from start to finish and thouroughly sucks balls.
The M-SPORT pads are the more aggressive Euro compound. It's not in any way exclusive or related to ED delivery.

Mine squealed maybe 3 times early on. In all instances it was very light braking and the brakes were essentially cold (while taking it easy around Germany and Austria). I think if you're experiencing this squealing you're just plain driving the wrong car. Especially if you are upset about the dust. Just stick with less performance-oriented models and have the dealer slap a body kit on for you...and have them swap on a nice quiet and clean set of the more pedestrian "stock" pads.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
The M-SPORT pads are the more aggressive Euro compound. It's not in any way exclusive or related to ED delivery.

Mine squealed maybe 3 times early on. In all instances it was very light braking and the brakes were essentially cold (while taking it easy around Germany and Austria). I think if you're experiencing this squealing you're just plain driving the wrong car. Especially if you are upset about the dust. Just stick with less performance-oriented models and have the dealer slap a body kit on for you...and have them swap on a nice quiet and clean set of the more pedestrian "stock" pads.
I've heard the M-Sport pads didn't have a noticeable performance advantage. They just squeal more and produce more dust that's about the only difference!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #65
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

I drive it like any other human being with spurts of spirited driving and general lazy cruising...also I'm a track whore and am not a typical BMW show-off/cruiser buyer. Which means I do brake quite hard, often, and these still squeal with regular consistency over a 1 hour drive daily. My former brembos, willwoods, and JB big brakes on my previous cars never squealed this "consistently", even with quite aggressive pads.
      01-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #66
PeterM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Even if mine did squeal i could deal with it, but the damn brake dust is insane.