F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 LED turnsignals installed
ARMA SPEED

06-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #23
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Hate to be the debbie downer but the output on plug and play tower LEDs are horrible. You can barely see them during the day (Quite evident in your video)

I would really think twice before replacing your tails.
Yeah, that's true, they're indeed not that bright during the day but I'm hoping it has something to do with the amount of LED's on it, the ones for my taillight that I ordered have 42 LED's each where the front ones have 18.

If that doesn't work, I might try to give it more output through coding, I found some functions that supposedly should work for that, just didn't have the time to test it yet. Either way, it's ok, the white bulbs that I had before these LED's were also not that visible during the day, plus we have the lights in the mirror and if all that fails, it's still ok, it seems as if nobody is using their blinkers anyways nowadays lol

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
omarliendo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line - Red

Svache, i have ordered the lights without even having the car yet! (Hopefully 4 weeks left). I know you have a 328i but i ordered a 335i, these bulbs should work on the 335i just as well, right?

I know you are very good at this but don't forget to post pictures after you install the tail lights!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #25
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear66 View Post
these bulbs should work on the 335i just as well, right?
It's the same headlight assembly, will fit on either the 328i/335.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #26
omarliendo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
It's the same headlight assembly, will fit on either the 328i/335.
Great! Thanks Gerbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #27
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Gerbs is right, it should work on both indeed

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #28
CasZy NL
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4 | X5 | Z1

Garage List
2008 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
1991 BMW Z1  [10.00]
Did someone also replace the tail turnsignal bulbs into LED??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasZy NL View Post
Did someone also replace the tail turnsignal bulbs into LED??
Will be trying this soon, I have some tail turnsignal LED's coming my way

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #30
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well guys, I spend an hour or so in my car just now, partly of it in dark (was doing some coding but didn't had any lights on, just the engine was running) and then I noticed for the first time that, every 30 seconds to a minute, the turn signals would give a real short blink. Seems they're not as much error free as I hoped they would be (and as they were advertised). I then did some more tests and noticed that when you just turn the ignition on, and all the lights are off, you could see the turn signals blink like crazy for a short time. I will try to see if there's anything in the code that we could chance so this would go away but, quite frankly, I don't have too much hope for that. We'll see, but just know that they might not be completely error free as was first said by the seller (and by me as I thought it was true).

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
omarliendo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Well guys, I spend an hour or so in my car just now, partly of it in dark (was doing some coding but didn't had any lights on, just the engine was running) and then I noticed for the first time that, every 30 seconds to a minute, the turn signals would give a real short blink. Seems they're not as much error free as I hoped they would be (and as they were advertised). I then did some more tests and noticed that when you just turn the ignition on, and all the lights are off, you could see the turn signals blink like crazy for a short time. I will try to see if there's anything in the code that we could chance so this would go away but, quite frankly, I don't have too much hope for that. We'll see, but just know that they might not be completely error free as was first said by the seller (and by me as I thought it was true).
oops! I ordered a set a couple of days ago from the same seller you bought them for... I wonder if they start blinking while you are driving the car as well! I can live with them blinking a couple of times as soon as you turn the car on but now if they are constantly blinking. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #32
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear66 View Post
oops! I ordered a set a couple of days ago from the same seller you bought them for... I wonder if they start blinking while you are driving the car as well! I can live with them blinking a couple of times as soon as you turn the car on but now if they are constantly blinking. Keep us posted.
Thanks. I have no idea if they're blinking while driving.. I'm wondering how I could check this, I only noticed it this time since my car was standing real close to a wall.

I got my rear turn lights today, I wonder if they will be ok.. kind of scared now lol

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
omarliendo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I have no idea if they're blinking while driving.. I'm wondering how I could check this, I only noticed it this time since my car was standing real close to a wall.

I got my rear turn lights today, I wonder if they will be ok.. kind of scared now lol
set the car in drive, get off the car, and sprint in front of it so you can see! haha

Now for real, maybe you can have somebody stand 100 ft from the car while you drive towards them and have them tell you...

About the rear turn lights - Just change them and see how they do. You can always go back to the stock ones if they malfunction.

Don't forget to take pictures
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Excited to hear back on these

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #35
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
lol ok ok..

So I just went outside for a bit and installed the rear turn signal LED's. I haven't seen anything odd yet (haven't been staring at it long either, I have to do some stuff in a bit before another F30post member is coming over to help test fit my old M3 rims).

All I can say for now is that it looks awesome The color is so much redder now, and since these ones have 42 lights (or something like that), it seems as if they are distributing just as much light as the regular bulbs, just more redder (probably since the LED's are red unlike the bulb that's white and therefor displays a more amber-ish light).

Here's two pics:

And here is a video showing the difference between the LED (left) and bulb (right):

Might make another picture/video later when it's dark

Edit: just in case anyone is wondering, these are the LED's I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=200702835973 ...as you can see, they were less than 15 dollar and nothing was said about being error free.. I'm starting to believe you could actually get away with the cheaper LED's (I'm thinking of getting one of the cheaper amber LED's with more LED's than my current ones so it's more bright during the day), it's at least not a lot of money if it doesn't work out

Just wondering for my break lights.. the bulbs in the break lights are the exact same as the turn signals.. should I get the same LED's or should I get some with more LED's to make the breaklights even more visible? Kind of feel I should since breaklights are most important

Appreciate 1
      06-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #36
chancejat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

they look great... definitely a future mod if they stay code free, let us know if a code pops up.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No prob

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #38
jeremy480
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Now if I could only find an LED to replace the PW24W DRL I'd be all set! (unfortunately my 328 doesn't have have angel eyes/xenons) T_T.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #39
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy480 View Post
Now if I could only find an LED to replace the PW24W DRL I'd be all set! (unfortunately my 328 doesn't have have angel eyes/xenons) T_T.
Maybe this thread helps: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650313 ?

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #40
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

I nominate svache for #1 contributor on the F30 forums... coding, LEDs, etc... so nice..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
Can I pick up a set of White LED Canbus from this Person on ebay? Or Where can i get them?

Also, are those DIY you posted, the same steps, if i wanted to get access to the fog lights?
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #42
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG335SPT
Can I pick up a set of White LED Canbus from this Person on ebay? Or Where can i get them?

Also, are those DIY you posted, the same steps, if i wanted to get access to the fog lights?
for the fog lights, I'm not 100% sure but I believe its almost the same.. its described in the manual so you might want to check that too I have some replacement bulbs for the fogs on order so can't tell yet.

the leds are pretty safe to get. for the front ones I would try and see if there are available with more leds on the fitting.. my current ones have 18 smd leds but I have new leds with 30 pieces on them on order to make it a bit brighter. also, make sure you get the smd leds, those are more wide spread, the others are focusing more on one spot

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #43
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: waiting for...328i (F30)

svache: does it now mean I should not install my led front turn signals? I received them Today, but after reading your comments, I doubt whether to install them at all.
      06-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #44
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaNLD View Post
svache: does it now mean I should not install my led front turn signals? I received them Today, but after reading your comments, I doubt whether to install them at all.
Yeah you can install them and see how they work with you. It's not like anything bad will happen

Thing is, they might flash (very weak) once in a while, like once every minute or so.. but tbh, after that one time I never seen it happen again. I was coding at that time so maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know.

The only thing I don't like about my current LED's is that they are a bit weak in the front.. I wish they would be brighter, which is why I have ordered new LED's with more lights. The current once are bright enough imo, I just think they could be brighter. The ones that I have in the rear are sufficient for sure, they are just as bright as the brake lights (but, to be sure, I ordered even brighter ones for the brakes lol)

So yeah, I think you should just install them and see if they work good for you.. it's like a 5 minute job, pretty easy to do

Appreciate 0