F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > *OFFICIAL* general photography conversation thread
Studio RSR

01-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #2311
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Anyone have experience with in-camera micro focus adjustments? The 5d2 is the first camera I've had that has allowed such adjustments. I'm heading out this weekend with the 100-400L so I wanted to run it through the FoCal lens calibration program. It indicated that at 100mm the adjustment should be +5, but at 400mm, the adjustment should be -11. I'm going to run it through again today just to confirm these settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #2312
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
As my brother put it: "Nikon D4 can shoot video in both FX and DX modes? Nice...like a Canon 1D & 5D in one. Guess that's why it costs $6k"
Why would you shoot a FF in crop mode? Just wondering. For stills you can always crop later. For video, I'm guessing that you can use less card space, is that it? It makes no sense to me for stills, at least if you always shoot in RAW and crop to an "ideal" composition as part of the conversion, not limited to a particular format.

Dave
      01-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #2313
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Anyone have experience with in-camera micro focus adjustments? The 5d2 is the first camera I've had that has allowed such adjustments. I'm heading out this weekend with the 100-400L so I wanted to run it through the FoCal lens calibration program. It indicated that at 100mm the adjustment should be +5, but at 400mm, the adjustment should be -11. I'm going to run it through again today just to confirm these settings.
Wow, no wonder that lens gets such mixed reviews.

Unfortunately, I think you're limited to one adjustment for each lens/extender combination. For a zoom you'll need to chose a compromise. In this case, I'd suggest adjusting for the long in, where you'll have the least DOF. Then, when you use the short end of the lens you'll need to stop down much more, or MF. Instead of doing +11 at 400, you might do +8, but remember that focus is real critical out at 400mm and wide open.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...djustment.html

Dave
      01-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #2314
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Wow, no wonder that lens gets such mixed reviews.

Unfortunately, I think you're limited to one adjustment for each lens/extender combination. For a zoom you'll need to chose a compromise. In this case, I'd suggest adjusting for the long in, where you'll have the least DOF. Then, when you use the short end of the lens you'll need to stop down much more, or MF. Instead of doing +11 at 400, you might do +8, but remember that focus is real critical out at 400mm and wide open.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...djustment.html

Dave
Thanks for the tips, Dave. I just re-ran the program in much better lighting. I have to say, I'm much more pleased by the results. It indicated a -2 adjustment for both 100mm and 400mm. A few test shots confirms this adjustment. Images are much sharper, even when shooting handheld, indoors, at 2000 iso. I'm going to do some more testing before tomorrow, but as of now, I'm very pleased with the images.

I think this lens is really dependent on ideal lighting conditions. This may also contribute to the mixed reviews. I'm struggling a bit with the slower performance due to the variable aperture.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #2315
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
That's a relief Matt. I was trying to imagine using a zoom with such differentials of focus. Didn't sound like fun to me.

Dave
      01-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #2316
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A quick shot from just now. Ran image through ACR to correct for exposure and resize. Wide open at f/5.6 and 1/320 sec, handheld.

Sharpness Test2 by mkrepp, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #2317
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Nice. Was that at 400mm? If so, very nice sharpness for handheld.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #2318
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Nice. Was that at 400mm? If so, very nice sharpness for handheld.
Thanks. Yes, it was taken at 400mm.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #2319
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Why would you shoot a FF in crop mode? Just wondering. For stills you can always crop later. For video, I'm guessing that you can use less card space, is that it? It makes no sense to me for stills, at least if you always shoot in RAW and crop to an "ideal" composition as part of the conversion, not limited to a particular format.

Dave
Good question Dave. My only guess is that it's easier to AF at a far away point in crop mode than on FF, where the point appears even farther away. At least that's the only thing I could come up with.
      01-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #2320
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:

Dave
You can film in full-frame 1080 mode, which downsamples, or you can film in DX mode, which downsamples a little less, or you can film in a 2.7x center 1920x1080 crop with no downsampling for a really sharp image (but the center crop of your focal). Not sure if the 1Dx has this or not, but I want to say yes.

Quote:
Nice purchase. I'll be anxious to see the results. I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

What scanner will you be using to get to digital? Have you considered going MF with a digital back?

Dave
I cannot afford to do a digital back right now. Especially since I would want one with a true 645 sensor size. That would mean the top of the line P65+, or Aptus-II 12, or an IQ160/180. All of which, I'm sure, start at $35k. I think the top H4D backs also are 54x41 cm. No sense in going MF digi unless it's non-crop, for me at least.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #2321
rodi
. . .
Rep

Quote:
Nice purchase. I'll be anxious to see the results. I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

What scanner will you be using to get to digital? Have you considered going MF with a digital back?

Dave
the scanner i have is crap for negatives (Epson 4490). especially after viewing comparisons with an Imacon scanner. I think there's a photo printing place near me that has Imacon's - I'm going to find out their prices if I really want to scan the negatives for worthy use.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #2322
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Dave
It was a tongue in cheek comment about how expensive the camera is.

I'm guessing if you have a DX lens, you would shoot in crop mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #2323
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Good question Dave. My only guess is that it's easier to AF at a far away point in crop mode than on FF, where the point appears even farther away. At least that's the only thing I could come up with.
I've got a FF body and a 1.6 crop body. I primary advantage of the crop body is that small moving subjects are larger in the viewfinder; however, I get the idea that the viewfinder will be unchanged and the image file will simply be digitally cropped. Unless I get an improved viewfinder view, I'd just as soon crop the image myself as part of RAW conversion.

I think this feature is mainly for video, where downsizing could be critical to save CF card space.

Dave
      01-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #2324
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got a FF body and a 1.6 crop body. I primary advantage of the crop body is that small moving subjects are larger in the viewfinder; however, I get the idea that the viewfinder will be unchanged and the image file will simply be digitally cropped. Unless I get an improved viewfinder view, I'd just as soon crop the image myself as part of RAW conversion.

I think this feature is mainly for video, where downsizing could be critical to save CF card space.

Dave
Speaking of CF cards, which would you recommend for the 7D for someone who does not shoot video or major bursts? Do you have a preferred brand?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #2325
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Speaking of CF cards, which would you recommend for the 7D for someone who does not shoot video or major bursts? Do you have a preferred brand?
I use 32GB cards and my favorite for burst shooting is the PhotoFast GMonster 533X; however, for non-burst shooting of a couple of hundred images at a time, then I'd go with an 8GB SanDisk Extreme III for a good mix of value, performance and capacity. I don't see the point in going with smaller cards, now that the cost is so low for an average speed card.

I believe in the discipline of tranferring my keepers to my HD the same day as I shoot and then I reformat the card(s) before every shoot. Given the low cost of TBs of HD storage, keeping images on CF cards seems silly to me, yet people do it all the time.

Dave
      01-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #2326
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I use 32GB cards and my favorite for burst shooting is the PhotoFast GMonster 533X; however, for non-burst shooting of a couple of hundred images at a time, then I'd go with an 8GB SanDisk Extreme III for a good mix of value, performance and capacity. I don't see the point in going with smaller cards, now that the cost is so low for an average speed card.

I believe in the discipline of tranferring my keepers to my HD the same day as I shoot and then I reformat the card(s) before every shoot. Given the low cost of TBs of HD storage, keeping images on CF cards seems silly to me, yet people do it all the time.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I card dump at home and then again at the office and back up both to external. Then reformat the card. I'll look at the SanDisks.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #2327
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Mark,

Sandisk 16gb extreme CF cards are what I use on my 5D2 with no problems.
      01-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #2328
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

with the bigger cameras, and shooting to the right, i wouldn't bother going with anything less then a 16gb.

I have an 8 card on my 7D and I've maxed it out a few times by accident (and yes, i dump the cards immediately as soon as i get home.)

I find if you're not shooting to the right, an 8gb card is the bare minimum. But when shooting right, it's super easy to fill up as bringing the exposure up brings each RAW file up a few MB each.

In my 5DII I've been using a 16 and have never maxed it out, shooting to the right or not.

I just purchased another 16GB yesterday to go in my 7D because I became annoyed at my shooting getting interupted by the camera telling me I was running out of room. So, my old 8GB will take up some space in my bag as a spare.

My 7D isn't usually on burst. if this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #2329
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
with the bigger cameras, and shooting to the right, i wouldn't bother going with anything less then a 16gb.

I have an 8 card on my 7D and I've maxed it out a few times by accident (and yes, i dump the cards immediately as soon as i get home.)

I find if you're not shooting to the right, an 8gb card is the bare minimum. But when shooting right, it's super easy to fill up as bringing the exposure up brings each RAW file up a few MB each.

In my 5DII I've been using a 16 and have never maxed it out, shooting to the right or not.

I just purchased another 16GB yesterday to go in my 7D because I became annoyed at my shooting getting interupted by the camera telling me I was running out of room. So, my old 8GB will take up some space in my bag as a spare.

My 7D isn't usually on burst. if this helps.
My SD cards are all 16GB, so I'll stay with that. Enough room without forking over big bucks.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #2330
rodi
. . .
Rep

I still shoot stills with two 4GB cards. :\

(my cam holds two cards.)

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #2331
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I still shoot stills with two 4GB cards. :\

(my cam holds two cards.)
you change them out while shooting? Or rarely fill a card?

I can see that working if you're in a photoshoot situation. I tend to be touring around a lot with a camera or two shooting random things I see, rather then doing photoshoots. Which I find makes a difference for how fast I'll fill a card. With friends, I'll shoot maybe 200 shots. On a random adventure, the sky is the limit. Or until I get bored, or lazy and don't want to carry my gear any further

How many shots do you tend to take per shoot?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #2332
rodi
. . .
Rep

i don't know, but i know that if i fill 8GB worth on a regular photoshoot, i've shot WAY too much. my last shoot, i did use a 16GB, but definitely did not fill it - i knew i'd be snapping away though. :\

i have 16 and 32GB cards for my video stuff, but that was the first time using them for a photoshoot.

Appreciate 0