F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Got into a wreck...
Studio RSR

12-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #23
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

what stuns me is how little it takes to total one of these cars.

i understand why.

but its shocking none the less. take a photo from the rear or the right side and you wouldnt even know it.

*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30m View Post
I got into an accident with my 2015 328 over the summer with only 10k on my car I was hit in a very similar way to you while pulling out of a parking lot into a two lane road and it was also my fault (guy in the lane closest to me waved me out and I didn't see the person approaching fast in the second lane so it was too late by the time I pulled out). After a couple weeks with my dealership taking it apart and figuring out cost of repairs, they determined that my frame was bent and the would need to replace the front end like yours. I think the repair estimate was close to $28,000 and it would have taken about 2-3 months, so I nudged my insurance in the direction of totaling it. In my state, the damage needed to be 70 or 75% of the car's value and we were in the high 60s, but since I kind of requested that they total it, they did.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #24
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
what stuns me is how little it takes to total one of these cars.

i understand why.

but its shocking none the less. take a photo from the rear or the right side and you wouldnt even know it.

*sigh*

Quote:
I got into an accident with my 2015 328 over the summer with only 10k on my car I was hit in a very similar way to you while pulling out of a parking lot into a two lane road and it was also my fault (guy in the lane closest to me waved me out and I didn't see the person approaching fast in the second lane so it was too late by the time I pulled out). After a couple weeks with my dealership taking it apart and figuring out cost of repairs, they determined that my frame was bent and the would need to replace the front end like yours. I think the repair estimate was close to $28,000 and it would have taken about 2-3 months, so I nudged my insurance in the direction of totaling it. In my state, the damage needed to be 70 or 75% of the car's value and we were in the high 60s, but since I kind of requested that they total it, they did.
I was honestly so surprised when I heard there was that much damage from a less-than-severe impact. Although it was my baby, I would have just felt uneasy knowing that my car had $20k+ worth of repairs, so I kind of pushed for the total.
      12-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #25
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
My point is randomly staring at pictures over the internet doesn't mean anything. It's up to the insurance adjuster to dictate the amount of the repairs, and if the car is written off. Whatever us lurkers on the web say means nothing.
Terribly shortsighted perspective. He's leaning on the experience (and hopefully expertise) of the community. The mistake a lot of laypeople make is assuming that the adjuster's initial word is final.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #26
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
Terribly shortsighted perspective. He's leaning on the experience (and hopefully expertise) of the community. The mistake a lot of laypeople make is assuming that the adjuster's initial word is final.
Have you actually been in an accident and had your car appraised? A simple fender bender reveals a crap load of trashed safety, support and other consumables that are meant to minimize impact to the occupants.

There is no way anyone on the forum looking at a couple top level photos can remotely give an accurate assessment. It's like asking what the weather will be like next week.

I'm not saying his experience didn't suck. It did, and I feel for him as I've been there before. Even worse when you're at fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #27
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you actually been in an accident and had your car appraised? A simple fender bender reveals a crap load of trashed safety, support and other consumables that are meant to minimize impact to the occupants.

There is no way anyone on the forum looking at a couple top level photos can remotely give an accurate assessment. It's like asking what the weather will be like next week.

I'm not saying his experience didn't suck. It did, and I feel for him as I've been there before. Even worse when you're at fault.
Yes I have. Anything I can help you with? Good, now re-read my post, this time for understanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #28
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize if I ever disagreed with the opinion of my insurance adjuster, I could just point him to a E90 thread where his numbers could get corrected with the proper numbers from random people on the internet looking at pictures on their monitors.

If you're not happy with your insurance adjustor's option, find another adjuster. Random people on the internet aren't your second opinion...

Last edited by Wires; 12-20-2016 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #29
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize if I ever disagreed with the opinion of my insurance adjuster, I could just point him to a E90 thread where his numbers could get corrected with the proper numbers from random people on the internet looking at pictures on their monitors.

If you're not happy with your insurance adjustor's option, find another adjuster. Random people on the internet aren't your second opinion...
How would one go about the process of finding another adjuster? You sound as though you're just talking out... the side of your mouth. The insurance adjuster is assigned by your insurance company. You can't just call up GEICO and say, "can I get a new adjuster? I don't like the numbers this one is giving me." You'd get laughed of the phone, pretty much like most reading this exchange is laughing at your asinine comments.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 01:57 AM   #30
Speed-NYC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440ix Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
I hate it when people block your view and wave you out, i always think "mind your own damn business and let me judge when its safe". I know they are trying to be nice but still annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #31
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
Ok, so if you can't get another adjuster, WTF would random comments from people on the web get you? You are randomly posting conflicting information.

So if the adjusters word isn't final, and you can't get a different one, then the point of asking strangers on the web gets you ______? Yeh, nothing, my point exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #32
Dan.E46
E46Fanatics OG
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, so if you can't get another adjuster, WTF would random comments from people on the web get you? You are randomly posting conflicting information.

So if the adjusters word isn't final, and you can't get a different one, then the point of asking strangers on the web gets you ______? Yeh, nothing, my point exactly.
I think the OP just wanted other people's opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. We live and we learn, share experiences etc.

Good luck to the OP, it is better off to total the car. Like others have said, it will never drive or feel the same after an accident like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #33
Mpert
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428xi 475

Around $20 000k
Takes time to repair that kind of hit. Everything is done on a bench, bonded & riveted. No welding. You will also need a steering rack.
Get it done at a BMW certified repair centre.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #34
Adelrae
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i Coupe

Quote:
Hi there! I have similar damage, trying to judge if it's totaled or not (as I wait for the appraiser). Did your airbags deploy?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #35
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelrae View Post
Hi there! I have similar damage, trying to judge if it's totaled or not (as I wait for the appraiser). Did your airbags deploy?
Looks like shes done for.
      03-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #36
Adelrae
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That340i View Post
Quote:
Looks like shes done for.
You think so? 2014, 63k miles I have no experience in car repairs so I have no idea. If the wheel is off would that mean the axle is broken?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #37
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to see that, no my airbags did not deploy. Honestly my impact wasn't terribly hard in the moment, enough to push the front end of my car a few feet though. Coolant started leaking everywhere and that's when I realized it wasn't just a minor impact. Your damage looks a bit worse than mine as far as mechanical components go, not sure how much of a repair bill that will rack up but I can't imagine that it'll be cheap. With 60k+miles on your car, I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth it to repair in the insurance company's eyes because of its appraised value. I'd guess that they'll write it off as a loss.
      03-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #38
Adelrae
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to see that, no my airbags did not deploy. Honestly my impact wasn't terribly hard in the moment, enough to push the front end of my car a few feet though. Coolant started leaking everywhere and that's when I realized it wasn't just a minor impact. Your damage looks a bit worse than mine as far as mechanical components go, not sure how much of a repair bill that will rack up but I can't imagine that it'll be cheap. With 60k+miles on your car, I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth it to repair in the insurance company's eyes because of its appraised value. I'd guess that they'll write it off as a loss.
Yeah, plus what's not shown is damaged rear suspension (one wheel sinks 4 inches lower in the rear) and all four wheels are bent, only one holding air.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:42 AM   #39
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
You think so? 2014, 63k miles
No question about it. depending on your insurance contract of course
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 03:11 AM   #40
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

yeah... start looking for a replacement!

so how'd you end up like that? air bags didn't deploy? hope you weren't hurt
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #41
Adelrae
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndx6spd View Post
yeah... start looking for a replacement!

so how'd you end up like that? air bags didn't deploy? hope you weren't hurt
A bit sore but not injured beyond that, luckily I was only going 20-25 MPH. Recent flooding on a canyon road brought dirt onto the road in a curve. My right wheels hit it and up I went. Looks like the appraiser is coming out on the 28th
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #42
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Thats impressive at 20mph
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #43
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Thats impressive at 20mph
Doesn't look like a 20 MPH accident to me, but what do I know??
      03-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #44
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

I assume he was able to brake to 25ish upon impact
Appreciate 0