F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > turning off DSC with sport mode?
ARMA SPEED

12-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #1
rentedbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi MT

turning off DSC with sport mode?

So, my 2014 328i has 4 driving modes. Theres 2 sport modes, the sport + mode simply reduces the traction control function. that's cool, but its still far too intrusive to try and slide the car even a little. I mean, it does back off, but only by about 10%. So, after putting it in sport+, I hold the DSC button, and when it disables, my car often shuts right off because its now in comfort mode. Absolutely ridiculous. Turning off DSC should automatically put it into sport, not take it out. Does everybody's car work like this? can it be coded? probably not. JW.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentedbmw View Post
So, my 2014 328i has 4 driving modes. Theres 2 sport modes, the sport + mode simply reduces the traction control function. that's cool, but its still far too intrusive to try and slide the car even a little. I mean, it does back off, but only by about 10%. So, after putting it in sport+, I hold the DSC button, and when it disables, my car often shuts right off because its now in comfort mode. Absolutely ridiculous. Turning off DSC should automatically put it into sport, not take it out. Does everybody's car work like this? can it be coded? probably not. JW.
Wait what?
Are you saying that when disabling DTC and DSC by holding down the button, the car just reverts back to comfort?
If so that is not right. Mine does not do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Wait what?
Are you saying that when disabling DTC and DSC by holding down the button, the car just reverts back to comfort?
If so that is not right. Mine does not do this.
My 5-series M-sport does, "DSC off" ... puts my car back into Normal mode. Backs off the sport performance for safer driving. Models were all set up like that, certainly in earlier production.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13342.00
      12-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
Akademe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine white 328i

Quote:
unfortunately it does that
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 340xi MPPSK 6MT

I've seen this before with people complaining about how comfort mode is the last place they want to be when turning DSC off.

With recent snowfalls where I live I've played around with it quite a bit. While the car does return in comfort mode after turning DSC back on, I'm not convinced that it's not int sport++ mode when DSC is off.

When I turn it off, I can definitely hear more overrun/burble from the exhaust and the throttle seems like it feels more sensitive like in sport, so I'm pretty sure the engine more is in sport.

I have adaptive M suspension and it's harder to tell what mode it's in but I'm *pretty* sure it seems rougher with DSC off than when in comfort mode.

I don't know for sure and it contradicts what others have said in the past and what is generally "known" but I believe that DSC off puts the car into the sportiest mode it can go to. The issue is just that when you turn it back on, it puts the car into comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Yes this is normal

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 3
Blubaron791431.50
stormlv930.50
Soul_Glo13342.00
      12-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Yes this is normal
Weird, I just tested this on my 2013, and when disabling both DTC and DSC, the iDrive clearly states it's still in sport mode...
Maybe this was a change after 2013? MT vehicles only?
Seems odd to me...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

You'll shoot your eye out.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

I'm almost glad that my 2011 f10 didnt come with that little sport/comfort toggle thing. it would definitely be nice, but I prefer the simplicity with being in normal mode, a halfway mode by pressing DSC once and then a full sport mode (quickens shifts, shifts higher) with DSC fully off. then you can move the transmission thing over for full sport mode. weird that you guys go into comfort mode when pressing DSC.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

mine stays in sport, which is how you want it at the track with all electronics off.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
motorwerkeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

In my 2012 6MT...

One tap on 'DSC off' = Traction mode - limited traction control (DTC) and subdued throttle response. Excellent for snow.

Hold 'DSC off' for 3-5 seconds = DSC off, Traction off, Sport Steering, Comfort Throttle.

Sport = DSC on, Full traction control, Sport steering, Sport throttle.

Sport+ = DSC on, Dynamic Traction Control, Sport steering, Sport throttle.

Sport + will let the car slide a little if you are carrying enough momentum, but will not allow for much (if any) power oversteer. Do the 2013+ stay in sport throttle mode with DSC off?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerkeman
In my 2012 6MT...

One tap on 'DSC off' = Traction mode - limited traction control (DTC) and subdued throttle response. Excellent for snow.

Hold 'DSC off' for 3-5 seconds = DSC off, Traction off, Sport Steering, Comfort Throttle.

Sport = DSC on, Full traction control, Sport steering, Sport throttle.

Sport+ = DSC on, Dynamic Traction Control, Sport steering, Sport throttle.

Sport + will let the car slide a little if you are carrying enough momentum, but will not allow for much (if any) power oversteer. Do the 2013+ stay in sport throttle mode with DSC off?
Ok you've got me thinking... On mine, the sport+ icon in the cluster changes to DSC OFF when I hold it down, but the idrive screen still says 'sport oriented driving settings' (or whatever it is exactly). So I would assume still in sport mode, and with everything off.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #13
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
mine stays in sport, which is how you want it at the track with all electronics off.
DSC is fully on in sport. It's only half off in Sport+

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

In mine, I can distinctly hear the exhaust quieting down if I turn DSC off from sport mode. I have the MPPSK, so it's very noticeable when the valves are open. Also, if I am in sport/sport+, turn off DSC, and then hit the sport button, it goes into sport mode from comfort. I'm not really upset by this, as if I track my car, I'm likely to keep DSC on, and just run Sport+ w/ DTC. I did unfortunately notice that DSC is fairly invasive when I'm doing donuts on snow though, and was baking my brakes until I turned DSC off completely.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
colnago1331
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

When I turn off DSC in my 2013 I'm almost positive that it goes back into Comfort mode, at least for the throttle. In Sport and Sport+ modes the car will run at higher RPMs on the freeway (i.e. not upshift) than in Comfort mode so as to give a quicker response to a throttle blip; when I turn DSC off it upshifts, and the RPMs are lower (like it does in straight Comfort or ECO Pro mode). Also, when I click the mode toggle button down with DSC off, it goes into ECO Pro mode. However, when I'm in Sport or Sport+ mode and I turn off DSC, the steering still feels heavy like it does in Sport or Sport+. It's all kind of odd if you ask me....
      12-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #16
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
My tuner Ricardo@ACFPerformance told me that they can setup this so that when it is off the performance selection automatically goes to Sport+

I'm going to have him do that for me on one of my next tune revisions, which now that I have bootmod3 can load over the internet in no time at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #17
odus
Call me daddy
Rep
Drives: dont worry

Correct DSC off back to comfort I thought this was silly I can still do a good bit of fun in comfort just not a much as sport+.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Remember the modes and their strategy is a follow on from the system being introduced in the F01 7-series. Discussing the DSC "OFF" parameters for the F01, BMW has this to say; (It uses the term "normal", that equates to comfort in the F3x models).

Quote:
Although initially it may seem astonishing that the accelerator pedal characteristic remains in the normal configuration in both "Traction" and "DSC off" modes, this setting is deliberate. When driving off on a loose subsurface and also when driving in a highly sports-oriented manner with the DSC switched off, it is especially important that the driver can apply engine torque extremely sensitively. This is much easier to do using a normal rather than a more sports-oriented accelerator pedal characteristic.

The sports-oriented accelerator pedal characteristic translates the accelerator pedal angle into a higher torque requirement at the engine. This torque requirement is then also put into effect more quickly by the engine control system.

As a result, the driver perceives the response characteristics of the drive, and therefore the vehicle, as more sports-oriented. However, the driver cannot use this to apply engine torque sensitively.
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #19
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Remember the modes and their strategy is a follow on from the system being introduced in the F01 7-series. Discussing the DSC "OFF" parameters for the F01, BMW has this to say; (It uses the term "normal", that equates to comfort in the F3x models).

Quote:
Although initially it may seem astonishing that the accelerator pedal characteristic remains in the normal configuration in both "Traction" and "DSC off" modes, this setting is deliberate. When driving off on a loose subsurface and also when driving in a highly sports-oriented manner with the DSC switched off, it is especially important that the driver can apply engine torque extremely sensitively. This is much easier to do using a normal rather than a more sports-oriented accelerator pedal characteristic.

The sports-oriented accelerator pedal characteristic translates the accelerator pedal angle into a higher torque requirement at the engine. This torque requirement is then also put into effect more quickly by the engine control system.

As a result, the driver perceives the response characteristics of the drive, and therefore the vehicle, as more sports-oriented. However, the driver cannot use this to apply engine torque sensitively.
I actually agree with that logic, but that doesn't explain why the suspension and exhaust are forced to comfort/'normal' as well, other than it's easier to just switch it all back to 'comfort' than to allow throttle maps to be independently controlled. (I would actually prefer the option to remove the throttle remap in sport/sport+ as well, it's challenging to remember how much sport/sport+ changes it when I'm trying to shift smoothly, and I would indeed prefer a more controllable throttle than one that hits 100% early to make it 'feel' sportier)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #20
fla
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i F30, Z4 3.0si Coupe E86

I don't agree with the BMW choice to reduce the throttle sensitivity in DSC off mode. They should have left to the driver the choice, DSC off should only "switch off DSC" and leave everything else untouched, simple choices are often the best. The solution I suggest is to buy a pedal box, I have one that I activate when in DSC off mode. Revs matching is easier and when drifting the fast response helps. Just buy one that you can fine tune to the level of response you need and that remembers the setting when you switch it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #21
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla View Post
I don't agree with the BMW choice to reduce the throttle sensitivity in DSC off mode. They should have left to the driver the choice, DSC off should only "switch off DSC" and leave everything else untouched, simple choices are often the best. The solution I suggest is to buy a pedal box, I have one that I activate when in DSC off mode. Revs matching is easier and when drifting the fast response helps. Just buy one that you can fine tune to the level of response you need and that remembers the setting when you switch it off.
They saved it for the real ///M cars

i do like the immediate response of the sports throttle but a slower throttle is easier to control the car in the middle of a corner for the typical luxury car leaser

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #22
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Weird, I just tested this on my 2013, and when disabling both DTC and DSC, the iDrive clearly states it's still in sport mode...
Maybe this was a change after 2013? MT vehicles only?
Seems odd to me...
Yes it changed. My '13 335 was like yours, now my '18 340 is like OP. Not as fun in the snow as the previous car.
Appreciate 0