F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Stupid radio
proTUNING Freaks

06-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Stupid radio

I am SO annoyed with BMW and how they think a radio "display" should look like and how voice commands should work.

Today I hopped into my wife's Ford Edge to go get some lumber, etc.

The radio is on AM so I said, "60's" - bingo - it "knows" that "60's" is on satellite so it leaves AM all on it's own and immediate goes to sirius, no problem. Try THAT with the BMW system!

I then said, "Fox Business" and - bingo - that's where it goes. Try THAT with the BMW system!

To aggravate even more, The Ford shows a "complete" display of what Sirius is transmitting - station name and graphics. I also noticed the display on Fox Business is also scrolling market data - DOW, S&P, etc.

My "gripe" is that BMW put together a car that looks great, handles great, gets great mileage, comfortable, etc. but flat out seems to ignore that fact that "most" owners are NOT out drag racing on city streets or on the track.

Many of us want technology that's actually "user friendly." Oh, and some of us would actually like a freaking dip stick and a spare tire.

The only other things that "get" to me are the rusty license plate screws and dome light covers.

That it for now - I'm cranky today.

ETA I forgot. I think the center console is stupid as well - it's so shallow all it's good for is storing dead goldfish or something similarly flat.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent11202 View Post
I am SO annoyed with BMW and how they think a radio "display" should look like and how voice commands should work.

The radio is on AM so I said, "60's" - bingo - it "knows" that "60's" is on satellite so it leaves AM all on it's own and immediate goes to sirius, no problem. Try THAT with the BMW system!

I then said, "Fox Business" and - bingo - that's where it goes. Try THAT with the BMW system!

To aggravate even more, The Ford shows a "complete" display of what Sirius is transmitting - station name and graphics. I also noticed the display on Fox Business is also scrolling market data - DOW, S&P, etc.

My "gripe" is that BMW put together a car that looks great, handles great, gets great mileage, comfortable, etc. but flat out seems to ignore that fact that "most" owners are NOT out drag racing on city streets or on the track.

Many of us want technology that's actually "user friendly." Oh, and some of us would actually like a freaking dip stick and a spare tire.

The only other things that "get" to me are the rusty license plate screws and dome light covers.

That it for now - I'm cranky today.

ETA I forgot. I think the center console is stupid as well - it's so shallow all it's good for is storing dead goldfish or something similarly flat.
Should have bought another Ford
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Basically you were screwed by your dealer when you were given cheap steel screws instead of zinc screws which don't rust.

Re radio display, the F30 is already improved in that it's screen can be clearly seen when wearing polarized sunglasses, as compared to the E90 display which goes completely black with polarized glasses, simply due to BMW not aligning the display polarity properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

The voice recognition is not something I use on a regular basis, simply because the technology in any car system is just not there. What I do love about this car is the 8 buttons that I can pre-program to do what I want in iDrive/take me to the correct menu.

When I did have the 1 year of satellite radio subscription, I just stored the 3 stations I listened to as a preset. The satellite radio to me is useless because: 1) the programming & channels just flat out suck 2) I don't drive enough. I do love having many options for music including 1) bluetooth from my phone 2) iPod Touch 3) internal music collection 4) CD 5) NPR ()

I would love to see more integration with Google Now for Android, and Siri for iOS (CarPlay)
      06-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
doug piston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320

Quote:

Actually it holds cans of smokeless tobacco like a champ. Perfect height.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
G30Nashville
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i

Traded in my F30 a couple weeks ago for a Lexus. Don't find myself missing the BMW at all. Lexus has all the features you would expect for a $40k car. Quality is so much better, too.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Atlanta View Post
Traded in my F30 a couple weeks ago for a Lexus. Don't find myself missing the BMW at all. Lexus has all the features you would expect for a $40k car. Quality is so much better, too.
Don't mean to call you on your purchase, but we see you in many posts just saying how good the Lexus is.
Dunno, but it seems your trying to convince yourself you did the right thing...

Just saying.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
Don't mean to call you on your purchase, but we see you in many posts just saying how good the Lexus is.

Just saying.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Atlanta
Lexus. I'm sorry. That grille and that rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Here's my funny story. My 2002 E46 shows the artist/song info automatically when you're listening to the radio. You push the button for the station preset and it shows the station info. But then the artist and song info shows up (RDS or whatever it's called).

In our X5 and F30 my wife asked how to get the same display. So we're driving along and the conversation goes like this: "Well you pick a station. [Wife pushes a preset button for the radio]. Ok, if you push a preset button then you need to push the audio shortcut button on iDrive so we can see the stations. Drill down to the station. Then you have to scroll down to the station info line over there. Yeah, then click on that. There you go."

Halfway through all that my wife was giving me that glazed, "Forget it, I no longer give a f*ck" look every guy knows intimately.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #11
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:

I mean, Ford's biggest thing going for them is their Microsoft Sync system. They advertise how it has literally over 10,000 commands of saying something to the system and it will respond appropriately. Go step in an Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, whatever, they will all be like the BMW. No one else has a big brand name of Microsoft to program their cars like Ford does... But hey, who has a perfect car, right? Everyone will always be dissatisfied by something. I personally enjoy iDrive more than MyFord Touch.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
G30Nashville
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D
Quote:

Just saying.
Just pointing out the same gripes I had as BMW owner and sharing with the OP.....

I know I did the right thing for me. I'll come back to BMW one day. Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Caught Looking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
I'm glad you like your Toyota. Nothing to see here. Move on.
Appreciate 0