F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DAB sounds BAD!
Studio RSR

02-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
You are 100% my man! Digital sound can never reproduce the emotion one gets from vinyl. Very close with a very, very expensive CD player, but never quite there. Great dynamics and no clicks and pops.

It will be a very sad day when they switch off FM. My tears will cause the Thames Barrier to activate.
Agree with the talk on Digital, one thing not to be confused about though, FM is analogue, but the music played is from a digital source. Only the transmission medium is analogue, so the same compression issues affect FM stations. It is all down to the bit rates and compression techniques used at source.

FM of course adds another dimension, bleed from other frequencies that distort the sound. Some mistake this for a feeling of warmth.

Digital is the future, the DAB broadcast will only get better.....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Agree with the talk on Digital, one thing not to be confused about though, FM is analogue, but the music played is from a digital source. Only the transmission medium is analogue, so the same compression issues affect FM stations. It is all down to the bit rates and compression techniques used at source.

FM of course adds another dimension, bleed from other frequencies that distort the sound. Some mistake this for a feeling of warmth.

Digital is the future, the DAB broadcast will only get better.....
True and hope so, or I'll kill myself.
      02-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

I had the DAB on my options list but the dealer advised it would be standard on my build anyway, but that the list price for the car was going up a similar amount.

I like to listen to Talk Sport which is horrendous on AM so really DAB is for choice and versus AM rather than simply versus FM in my rationale. Interesting to hear about compression though, as far as i'm aware radio signals broadcast on FM are actually compressed first anyway before they are transmit (the frequency range is narrowed) whereas this process does not occur for DAB transmissions. And as an earlier post mentioned it's digitally stored music that's being transmitted anyway, so really in this format DAB should be better.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #26
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

DAB offers more listening variety and when driving up to a 1000 miles in a week this is its value to me, glad it's been made standard for my car build.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Mine sounds brilliant... Just saying ;-)
      02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Mine sounds brilliant... Just saying ;-)
I'll have my lug holes tested at work tomorrow and re-listen.
      02-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
You are 100% my man! Digital sound can never reproduce the emotion one gets from vinyl. Very close with a very, very expensive CD player, but never quite there. Great dynamics and no clicks and pops.

It will be a very sad day when they switch off FM. My tears will cause the Thames Barrier to activate.
Fantastic to find another real music lover on here! I agree with CD not quite being there. I spent most of the last 10 years trying to get music out of my quite large CD collection but my head wouldn't stop playing the sound of vinyl to me in the background! I've spent far too much money over the years, but got pretty much the sound I want and music warms my ears for at least a couple of hours a day .. :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
I had the DAB on my options list but the dealer advised it would be standard on my build anyway, but that the list price for the car was going up a similar amount.

I like to listen to Talk Sport which is horrendous on AM so really DAB is for choice and versus AM rather than simply versus FM in my rationale. Interesting to hear about compression though, as far as i'm aware radio signals broadcast on FM are actually compressed first anyway before they are transmit (the frequency range is narrowed) whereas this process does not occur for DAB transmissions. And as an earlier post mentioned it's digitally stored music that's being transmitted anyway, so really in this format DAB should be better.
Forget the theory. Just listen to what you hear and, if you like it, it's good for you.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #31
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

My DAB is very very good - was expecting to be disappointed when i read this thread but the reality is that reception seems fine... or maybe manchester is a hot spot?

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #32
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I was so close to buying the BMW DAB Retro-Fit but then decided I could better spend £299 elsewhere.

I missed not being able to listen to Planet Rock in the car (I listen to rock, classical, pretty much anything except 'pop'). Wasn't so fussed about the quality of DAB, after all there's so much noise intrusion from other sources like tyre roar, wind noise and everything else that's going on outside the car.

Having to get my rock fix in the car via USB stick

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0