F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Collecting New Car Experiences
proTUNING Freaks

09-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warberry View Post
The point of GAP, as far as the provider is concerned, is to make a profit out of you. If you can afford to bear the additional cost involved in replacing a car, why help them make that profit ?

You only have to look at the scale of misselling of PPI to see that general (i.e. non-life) insurance has become a bloated sector of a morally bankrupt financial services industry (and I'm a lawyer working in that industry, so it's not like I'm some nutter ranting from the outside).

Sometimes you do get a bargain on these kinds of general insurance, but it's rare, because their admin overheads and required profit margin are too high. The only time I've ever felt like I "got one over on them" was when I bought an expensive and complex Bosch condenser dryer (4 active kids: nightmare !) and took out a Domestic & General 5 year extended cover on it: it was £69 and, at 4 loads a day, I saw the breaking of that machine as a challenge we could definitely rise to.....
Hate to break it to you....but the point of BMW AG, is to make a profit out of you
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #24
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hate to break it to you....but the point of BMW AG, is to make a profit out of you
I don't have a problem with the profit motive. It can be very healthy. I have a problem with insurers and their middlemen projecting the message that everyone "needs" GAP insurance, like they're acting in our interests by making it available.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

p.s. I love this Churchill quote (no, other Churchill), which comes from a very different age and to me sums up the original noble intentions behind insurance:

“If I had my way I would write the word ‘Insure’ upon every door of every cottage and upon the blotting book of every public man, because I am convinced that with sacrifices which are inconceivably small, families and estates can be protected against catastrophes which would otherwise smash them up for ever. It is our duty to arrest the ghastly waste, not merely of human happiness, but of national health and strength, which follows when, through the death of the breadwinner, the frail boat in which the family are embarked, founders, and woman and children and estates are left to struggle in the dark waters of a friendless world.”
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

When I collected my car I had the GAP and tyre insurance pitch but declined both.

I was quoted £399 for back to invoice GAP 3 year cover. Fortunately I had shopped around before and so I bought the GAP from ala with 4 year vehicle replacement cover for £247.50. I had found a 10% discount code (GAP12 for anyone interested) which brought the GAP down to a very reasonable price.

The tyre cover I got from car2cover for £319 for 4 years cover. Better than the £385 for 3 year cover from the dealership.

I'm very much in the overkill boat for insurance. I know I may never get a puncture or write my car off but even so, there's always that nagging doubt that says better safe than sorry
      09-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #27
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warberry View Post
I don't have a problem with the profit motive. It can be very healthy. I have a problem with insurers and their middlemen projecting the message that everyone "needs" GAP insurance, like they're acting in our interests by making it available.
Hmmmm out of ALL the insurances you get, I feel that GAP and Winter sports insurance are the two that I find essential, so kinda glad they do offer it
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
When I collected my car I had the GAP and tyre insurance pitch but declined both.

I was quoted £399 for back to invoice GAP 3 year cover. Fortunately I had shopped around before and so I bought the GAP from ala with 4 year vehicle replacement cover for £247.50. I had found a 10% discount code (GAP12 for anyone interested) which brought the GAP down to a very reasonable price.

The tyre cover I got from car2cover for £319 for 4 years cover. Better than the £385 for 3 year cover from the dealership.

I'm very much in the overkill boat for insurance. I know I may never get a puncture or write my car off but even so, there's always that nagging doubt that says better safe than sorry
Cheers for the GAP info, will be checking them out in a month or two

I pay for my own tyres on the very rare occasion I get a puncture. Problem with tyre insurance is you know there are people slashing worn tyres in order to get new ones for free. Everyone ends up paying. Why they don't have a clause to say they will only pay pro rata for wear I don't know.

In your case RJ, GAP is a must...if you were to write that lovely car off, insurance wouldn't take all the optional goodies into account, so a big loss if it were to happen. I can just imagine you saying that you want another £800 for HUD, lol

With GAP RTI you just hand them the invoice and gets your cheque, happy days.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Insurance (other than that which is legally required) is effectively a gamble.

I bought my E81 new and in the two and a half years I owned it I had three punctures which I estimate cost me over £450. When I bought the car I decided not to get tyre insurance which would have cost me about £250. I gambled I wouldn't need it and lost out by £200 or so. For that reason I've taken out tyre insurance on my F30.

Similarly, I bought an IS300 back in 2003 and bought GAP insurance which cost me well over £400. I never used it - although I came close. I was hit up the back when I was stationary by a woman doing 50mph. The car, worth around £15k at the time, should have been written off but wasn't (long story), in which case I'd have got a brand new car (I ended up selling it for about a £3K loss). Again, that's why I took out GAP on my new car, but for someone who's never been in these situations, the risk is probably perceived as not that great.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Gap for sure. It sounds like an idea to take an internet quote in with me and let them match or better it otherwise the company mentioned in this thread seem to be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice people.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #31
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
In your case RJ, GAP is a must...if you were to write that lovely car off, insurance wouldn't take all the optional goodies into account, so a big loss if it were to happen. I can just imagine you saying that you want another £800 for HUD, lol

With GAP RTI you just hand them the invoice and gets your cheque, happy days.
That's why I went for the RTI cover. If the worst did happen then I want to know I can get back exactly what I had. For less than £250 I'm covered for the worst. Ok, I may not sleep any differently with it but at least I'm covered. Happy days