F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Front/Rear PDC & Reverse Camera Retrofit Parts Question
ARMA SPEED

01-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Front/Rear PDC & Reverse Camera Retrofit Parts Question

I have almost gathered all the necessary parts to complete this retrofit (I hope anyways...).. i'm stumped on this one mystery part. On the M-Sport front bumper only, the 2 sensors in the middle have an extra body colored bracket. I have looked through all the realoem diagrams, but I can seem to find this extra bracket in the photo below...

Look at the PDC sensor on the right in this photo, notice the extra part

Notice in this diagram, the 2 inside sensors holes are larger

I have this kit 51 11 7 324 343 but you can see this additional part for the M-Sport bumper is not in there..

What is so odd... referencing this realoem diagram

Link to the actual diagram

These diagrams really contradict themselves... I will see reference to M Aerodynamics Package = No... but in this realoem diagram is says Yes???? WTF!!

Click here where is contradicts and say M Aerodynamics Package = Yes

I'm thinking maybe it's part # 51118060120 ?????

Last edited by steelerfan; 01-25-2015 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

You are correct, 51118060120 is the right kit to order which has the special "brackets" for the 2 center sensors for M-Sport models.

This post has a PDF of the BMW instructions for the retrofit and a write up with all the information, the only difference is just that part # for the correct brackets for M-Sport Model.

As for painting them, you can buy the touch-up kit in your color and just give it a coat or two plus a clear coat and it should be good to go!
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks roxxor... i was hoping you would chime in... I'm waiting on my last 4 sensors to arrive.. then i'm about ready to get started... i will get that other kit on order...would be nice if BMW would let me trade the one i ordered in..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

For those curious, this is the photo from the new part # mentioned above. You can see how 2 of the sensor holders are indeed different

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

I don't get it... why are the 2 middle ones different? The sensors themselves are the same as all the others
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I don't get it... why are the 2 middle ones different? The sensors themselves are the same as all the others
The sensors aren't different, it's just the brackets keep the angle straight. The angle of the M-Sport bumper appears to be different than the angle of a non M-Sport bumper. The M-Sport front bumper is angled down & in (toward the back of the car). If you didn't have this different support bracket then the PDC sensor would be angled down to the ground instead of straight out & thus not as effective. This bracket makes the senor angle perpendicular to the ground.

On our M-Sport X3, it's just normal 18mm holes... reason being that M-Sport bumper doesn't angle in, rather almost straight down.

This all came to me the other day when I was riding behind a Cadillac Escalade. All of the sensors in the rear had this much larger bracket (similar to the M-Sport bumper).. when looked at the angle of the bumper once i rolled slowly beside him at a stop light.. then the light bulb in my head went off & I finally realized why. The rear bumper in this off white Escalade were down & in to the front of the car... the sensors + bracket were just obnoxious to say the least...

Was is so funny about this whole project is probably about 4-5 months ago, i never paid attention to any sensors on a car. Now i look at every car that goes by see if they have front &/or rear PDC...lol.. The straw that broke the camels back.. i got behind an E46 325i & they had sensors in their bumper (in the black plastic trim)... 1st thing i did when i got home was search the internet to see what year this became available...lol... And sure enough it was 2005. I was thinking i can't believe they had PDC in 2005 on a 3 series & it isn't standard in our cars..... it angered me more that my car didn't have this feature & that is when i started purchasing items for the retrofit...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

lol... thanks for that entertaining and informative response

i guess BMW needs to squeeze whatever $$$ they can out of making certain features options, at least for their lower series cars. This makes the owners of their higher series cars feel good about the fact that some of their features are standard.
Appreciate 0